NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First trip to the vet concerns

Kaleah

This Friday I am taking my precious Kaleah to see the vet for the first time. I've had her for nearly a month and she has already bonded with me but I'm terrified that the visit to the vet's may scare her and she's going to not trust me afterward. Someone suggested to me that I not handle her at all and that I should let the vet and her assistant do it. Am I right to do that?

Also, I've been debating whether or not I want her wings clipped. She acts like she would like to fly at times but I don't think she knows how. She's 4 and I don't know if her previous owners ever encouraged her to learn or not. I can understand why some people have the wings clipped, but I'm on the fence. I know it's up to me to decide, but any insite into this would be great. This is my first Grey, first large parrot period, and what is good for my 'tiels isn't always the best for my Grey.

I just want to say that I'm so happy to have this forum where I can talk about all my "new mommy" concerns. Thanks so much!

- Gina :)

I'm waiting for some advice on this point as well. My first vet visit was with my 4 mo. old baby TAG. I handled him and helped restrain him for the examination and everything was fine. I'm curious if I might have to change that process once he is older. I definitely do not want to lose his trust!

Most avian vets will handle your bird themselves with an assistant so you do not have to do anything but be there and some will examine and do the tests in another room so your bird does not even see you to avoid associating the handling with you, then they allow you to be the "rescuer" and be the one who whisks them to safety.

Gina please consider leaving the wings unclipped as this might seriously damage the relationship and bond you have developed at this point, your bird is older and may not have ever had the wings clipped and if that is the case then it may cause a setback for you and her.

Barbara it depends on the bird and yours was very young when you took her so it may change. I have usually allowed the vet and staff to do the examination and tests on my grey and I just stand back and be an observer but she usually comes back to me and doesn't seem affected by it, at least not for long and by the time I get her home she is back to her old self.

When I take one of our birds in, I let the vet's assistant handle the bird during examinations. If they're going to do something really stressful, like draw some blood, they take the bird to another room, probably as much to keep me from being stressed as anything :)

But I have started removing the bird from the carrier myself. Since the vet's staff doesn't know the bird like I do and must control the risk of being bitten, they will always go into the carrier after it using a small towel. Then the bird is already stressed and scared. I have found that things go much more smoothly and less stressful if I just reach in and remove the bird and hold it facing me against my chest and then let the vet or his assistant gently grasp the bird from behind with the towel and take it from me.

After the exam and/or treatment, the birds have always been very glad to return to me, and I still get to be the rescuer.

Judy - Thanks for the little extra push to go unclipped. That's the way I was leaning anyhow, but I wanted some other, knowledgeable opinions. Like I said, I can see why some people choose to do it, but personally I'd rather not.

Azzie - I'd like to know the same thing.

When I took my little guy they used his foot for blood. Only a small amount is needed so I wouldn't think a vein is necessary... similar to when a dr pricks your finger.. :) It seems that sometimes they'd need to bandage if it keeps bleeding but my guy didn't need it.

He was pretty stupefied the whole visit and didn't seem to hold it against me that I was present. But I took him the day after he arrived so we hadn't bonded at all yet.

Azzie

Avian Biotech is the most popular company for DNA testing. You can get a kit from them by Email.Theres two ways you can do the at * home* tests. The feather or the blood test. Feather test requires you to pull several feathers from the chest area. Blood test method---, you clip the nail a little shorter than usual and dab the blood into a small circle on the card. These 2 tests are the most popular. They can email you the results and they mail you a DNA certificate. Results usually take about 7 days. If I remember correctly, the price is $15

If you live in an area that doesn't have this type of DNA facility, a vet will then do it. The vet doesn't draw blood from veins. He usually uses the claw method or removes one of the wing blood feathers.

Edited by Dave007

Well, sense this thread is now on the subject of drawing blood, do they always do it every time you take them to the vet? I'm so anxious about the vet to begin with and now I'm even more terrified if they are going to pull one of her blood feathers or clip a nail too short on purpose. I'd like to be in the room while she's being looked over, but if this is going to go on, I may not be able to. Just being a typical nervous mom I guess.

No they don't do it everytime unless they're looking for special problems that may exist. With other problems, they examine the stool. They'll clip a nail when doing DNA tests. or they'll remove a feather for a DNA test. Nail clipping is a very simple procedure and it's been used for many years. It's not painful. It's whatever method the vet uses. Now a days, many people do the procedure themselves at home and send it out to Avian Biotech.

You're going in for a regular checkup so there shouldn't be any major exam. Maybe the vet will take a sample of stool to have it examined. You should let the vet and the asst do all the work and you shouldn't be around when they're working with the bird. If there's any biting involved, let the vet and asst get bitten. They're very used to that happening. If any anger builds up, it'll be towards the vet. I'll also go with Judy as far as not clipping wings. Sometimes a clipping can be done wrong and there's a possibility that a very short clipped feather could be damaged making the feather bleed at home.

When Neo had his first vet check I asked to have his nails trimmed because they were KILLING me! The vet used a dremel and STILL got to the blood. He didn't react and she just applied pressure until it stopped. It was no biggie. I have since placed nail trimming perches in his cage and have another that I will add tomorrow. I am not willing to do the nails myself. At least not right now.

At least here in Los Angeles, I know most avian vets will indeed use a neck vein to draw blood. The reason is simple - if you clip a nail too close and cause bleeding, the toe is painful for two weeks or so while it heals up, and indeed causes pain each time the foot is used, whereas if you do a tiny needle stick in a neck vein, the pain is over with virtually as soon as the needle is withdrawn from the body.

Think about when you break your own nail and it tears below the quick. It hurts for ages! But once a needle stick is over with, the pain is done.

I'm definitely curious about how blood is drawn now, aside from nail clipping and blood quills of course. I'm going to ask the vet on Friday. One of the many questions I plan on throwing at her. Haha.

I'll let everyone know how the appointment goes.