NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

WANTED: Timneh Grey - Prefers Men, ReHomes and Rescues Welcome

FirstPenguin

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are looking to complete our flock. Currently it consists of myself, my girlfriend and Evie our Senegal parrot. Evie was a planned present for my girlfriend who didn't know the first thing about birds but now is quite the expert. She and Evie have bonded nicely and we're ready to find a bird that will hopefully be my daemon. We're also strongly considering rehomed and rescued greys. Our hope is that we'll reduce the risk of a baby grey bonding with my girlfriend if we get a rehome who is predisposed to a particular type or gender. We'd really like to avoid two birds seeking attention from the same person.

The thing is despite my desires,:rolleyes: my girlfriend has ruled out adopting a Congo. We've visited and handled both kinds of Greys and she feels more comfortable with the Timnehs. This is more than just a girlfriend getting her way. We're a team when it comes to taking care of Evie and this would be no different. So she needs to be comfortable with any new member of the flock. Hence, we're focused on finding a timneh.

We're located in NYC and willing to road trip-it for the right bird. We drove 4 hours one way to find the right Senegal, and that was from a breeder.

We're a fully flighted flock and any new additions would get to grow out there flight feathers. It would be even better if we could find a flighted timneh. We have a good rapport with our avian vet and get all the recommended lab work done for our Sennie. Evie just had her first annual visit and passed with flying colors.

So that's a little about what we're looking for and a little about us. Hope to hear from anyone with a Timneh in need of a home.

Edited by FirstPenguin

I hope you find your Tag but remember that any grey might tend to prefer one over the other as they are all individuals and we have no control over who they will pick as their favorite but if both of you share in the care then it should make the chances greater it will be good with both of you, good luck to you in your search.

That is definitely true about the bird choosing who they prefer. Our Senegal was owned by a woman that had to give him up when her new husband said he didn't want the bird there. This woman had raised Rocky from infancy. She brought her baby home still hand feeding. She told us that Rocky did not like men (her husband) and would only relate to women. WRONG! From the moment we brought Rocky home, he (which we have now come to believe is a "she") preferred my husband and son. I do most of the day-to-day care but my husband gets all the love. There really are no guarantees no matter how well you try to plan it.

I have a timneh, Ana Grey 2 1/2 years old, whom I have had since she was 4 months old. I live alone and she is very comfortable with me as I can do just about anything with her. Of all my family, she prefers my two grandsons, one is 21 and one is 11. So I believe it doesn't matter male or female, it is the "vibe" an animal gets from a person as to rather an animal prefers one person over the other and has nothing to do with gender.

That may be very hard to do. There's no guarantee that you'll get a bird that will remain a one person be it a man or a woman.

AND, What happens if this male oriented bird finds your girlfriend extremely alluring, sensual and very attractive after arriving at your house?

That may be very hard to do. There's no guarantee that you'll get a bird that will remain a one person be it a man or a woman.

AND, What happens if this male oriented bird finds your girlfriend extremely alluring, sensual and very attractive after arriving at your house?

Well outside of the house she is, but if greys are as smart as people say a week or so of observing her habits at home should do the trick. Kidding aside she's already got a fid glued to her shoulder. Does that influence a Grey? Or will there be a potential love triangle? Thanks for the response.

For years my grey was ONLY my husbands bird now she is ONLY mine. She will ask me "how's papa"? but wants nothing to do with him.

Karen

I'm aware of those risks. My understanding is that the Congos are far more likely to switch and specifically one gender or the other I can't remember which. Is your grey a CAG or a TAG? My reasoning still holds some water. If you're taking on a rehome it would make sense for them to go a home with a similar type of person taking care of them.