NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bottlecaps?

Roseanna

Hi all

My baby loves plastic bottlecaps from sodabottles, if we are drinking a soda she is likely to steal the cap and run away with it, even the caps that is tight on the bottle is worth a steal (although she haven't figured out how to get them off yet)

I plan on collecting a few different colored caps, punch a hole in the middle and run them on a piece of leather string. Would that be ok for a toy?

Im just not sure if the caps are parrot friendly? Of course they are washed thoroughly before she gets to play with them ;)

Edited by Roseanna

Judy - cool i already made a toy with them, some leather string and colored wooden beads :D She loves it (i start to believe that she would love anything i give her to play with haha)

I will look out for caps more nicely colored than the ones i had at hand and collect them, to make a bigger toy she can climb and chew.

1-7.jpg

2-6.jpg

Way to go Rose, you have made some great toys but do leave a couple to play with as foot toys, you can get very creative if you had different colors of them but who wants to buy sodas you don't normally drink just to get the color of top, why not enlist friends, family and neighbors to keep theirs and then you may have a wide variety of colors, thanks for posting the pics of your creation.

I have also started a small collection of plastic milk/bottle caps to try and make a toy out of. I found out a little while ago after Elvenking posted a picture of that toy Issac loved so much, so I let Babalu play with a cap and he loved it!

We have been saving bottle caps for about a year now, and we just throw them into a solution of 1 gallon of water to a 1/4c. bleach, and rinse rinse rinse! We keep a big bucket of them in the livingroom, and the birds go and get them as they please...

of course then the cats knock the bucket over, and there is a million caps all over the floor... :)

If I may say so, Try using Vinegar, It's far more safer then bleach, etc... With Vinegar, you can use it at any dilution you want, or straight, right beside you pets and birds... The proper dilution for bleach is 3 drops per gallon...The vapor from bleach can kill a parrot...

Edited by Jayd

ChrisandMatt,

Been meaning to ask you - the toy that is to the right of your birdy in your picture below your name in each of your posts, is it a toy for human tots? I think I have seen that toy in K-Mart and Target and so on, and even purchased one, but have been reluctant to offer it to my AG or 'Too because I was not sure if the coating on the wire is safe. Anyway, just wondered if yours is the same as the one I bought, and if so, then I am thinking I can give my birds access to that toy, too. Thanks!

That's exactly what it is, I picked it up at WalMart. Maggie's breeder had a few of these wooden bead toys and Maggie loved it so I grabbed that as soon as I found it. She loves sliding the beads from one side to the other, she can even get them around the twirly parts. Ya know, I didn't even think about any kind of coating on the wires and the beads. She doesn't eat things that she chews on (I would even trust her with foam beads) so I'm not too concerned.

P1010243.jpg