NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Palm Oil - always in liquid form?

Dana

Hey guys, sorry about another red palm oil question, but I did some searching around and could not find anything to address this question.

A few months ago at a bird expo, a local guy (no website) was selling jars of red palm oil - but it was completely liquid at room temperature. A very bright, rich, red liquid. It looks just like melted/heated red palm oil that I've used in the past. A jar I bought in the past had it as a solid form, until heat was applied, to liquefy it. Also, the Sunshine Factor and Avi-X Booster (both red palm oil) are both in solid form in their little blue jars until I rinse under hot water to melt it. I like it liquefied because it's easier for me to mix in with their food.

This guy at the bird expo boasted about his methods and he was the only one to sell it that way. Just made me wonder if anyone else has seen red palm oil in a permanent liquid form like this?

At this website http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/category/food-oils-natural-red-palm-oil.php , I found this info:

Natural Red Palm oil is a liquid at room temperature, and has a rich bright red color. When solid, it is a lighter orange-red color. This rich red color is due to the high content of natural carotenoids. The carotene content is above 500 mg/kg! These carotenoids are mainly beta carotene (275mg/kg) and alpha carotene (175 mg/kg). Natural carotenes are also found in other orange foods such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and pumpkins. Tocopherols and tocotrienols are related fat soluble antioxidants in the vitamin E family.

But, I never found anything about what it means if it's in a solid form versus always liquid. Is there a loss in nutrition if it's liquid all the time? Any health concerns?

For those that use red palm oil, is yours solid until heat applied? Or is it permanently in a liquid form? Is it preferred to buy it solid or liquid?

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on the difference between solid and always liquid red palm oil.

Thanks, Judy. I've wondered if anything were added or taken away to create that constant liquid form.

I looked at Swanson's but I want to order something USDA certified Organic, something like this: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm

I found this on Harrison's website, talking about cheaper oils.... http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/aboutpalmoil.html

Many lesser red palm oils (not red palm fruit oil) are diluted with the lesser quality red palm kernel oil. Palm kernel oils do not have the same beneficial properties and will not yield the same results in added health to pets as red palm fruit oil.

Hmmm. I wonder if being diluted with palm kernel oil would make it in a liquid state all the time.

All palm oil I've ever seen, no matter who's brand it is, has been thick, orange, sticky. I know that it duplicates what surrounds the palm nut. The consistancy and color is exactly the same. The bird cracks the shell, eats the thick, orange oil and eats the nut. I don't how his oil was thinned ( and stays thin) for sale but if he's got a secret and doesn't wish to share it, I would stay with the 100% pure palm oil. Plus, now a days, palm oil is very inexpensive. It's inconvient to thin it out for use but hot water or a microwave solves that problem.

Just thought i would add... Im currently living in West Africa and i feed my birds here palm nuts straight from the tree and also ground nuts (peanuts) freshly picked from the ground, hence some of my birds have yellow or redish stains on there feet and sometimes beak.. Its very important to know that African Greys in the wild mainly feed on these and different fruits. Pine nuts would make up most of their diet... Its beautiful to hear and also see the wild African Greys feeding in their natural environment and you nearly always see them in Pine oil plantations...

I've read that African Greys in Africa eat almost exclusively PALM oil. Makes me wonder if we don't load their diet down with palm oil, if they are going to be missing out on some nutritional factor over time.

As an interesting aside, my AG used to reject palm oil. (She came to me having a TERRIBLE diet, though, and rejected almost everything.) Now she dives right into her food dish and gobbles up the palm oil first. (I take the jar from the fridge and use a knife and poke a chunk of solid oil out and put the chunk into my birds' bowls of food. The portion that isn't consumed immediately soon melts, it being at room temperature, and is then easily mixed into their greens/bits of fruit mix.)

I'd be a bit leery of a red palm oil that stays liquid at any temperature, as my own philosophy on feeding any of my animals is to emulate nature as much as possible, and if that oil stays liquid at any temperature, I'd wonder how it had been messed with. Just my thoughts on the matter..

Thanks for the replies! When I first heard about red palm oil a few years ago, I ordered a jar of it and it was almost a solid until melted. That stuff lasted forever! Then I saw the red oil - but I didn't know enough about the actual fruit/nut to know what it's most natural form is supposed to be.

I am going to order some of the Tropical Traditions brand and toss out the liquidy stuff.

Thanks, Paulie. I'll pick up some pine nuts, too. I'd love to travel there and see a bunch of these cuties in the wild. I can only imagine the different sounds and the shenanigans! :) Cute little clowns!

Thanks for clarifying that Paulie. I was scratching my head here at 5 am this morning trying to picture the last time I had (If ever) seen a pine tree in photos or videos of Africa. :P

I must say though, Dayo loves Pine Nuts.

I must drip the RPO on Dayos foods and or mix it in with veggies etc. He absolutely hates the taste straight from the container.

I always wonder if it is ok to give the nuts from the palm trees here in southern California to my AG (and Too). I use the palm fronds dried as parts of the homemade bird toys I give them (vet said it is fine). I've read that all parts of the palm tree are fine for AGs but am wondering if anyone in So Cali feeds their fids the palm nuts that fall to the ground.

Thanks in advance!

I always wonder if it is ok to give the nuts from the palm trees here in southern California to my AG (and Too). I use the palm fronds dried as parts of the homemade bird toys I give them (vet said it is fine). I've read that all parts of the palm tree are fine for AGs but am wondering if anyone in So Cali feeds their fids the palm nuts that fall to the ground. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is fine, although I never use any picked up from the ground. I suppose if you washed them thoroughly they would be ok. I have several neighbors with queen palms and when the palm nuts riped I go around and ask them to cut me down a "Bunch" of them. Then wash them thoroughly in vinegar water, place them in freezer bags and thaw and keep in the fridge as they eat them.