NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Computer Virus Alert ** please read **

birdhouse

I was going through my emails this morning & found one from the United States Postal (USPS). The memo line read "usps delivery problem NR40262847" & the address said it was from support@usps.com. Everything looked very legit.

Except I hadn't ordered anything :confused:

I'm kind of trained to be suspicious about this kind of thing. So instead of opening the email, I went directly to the USPS site & tried to track the number which turned out to be bogus. I did some research & it looks to be a virus that's been going around.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp

Many of us buy off the internet & get things shipped. It's a pretty safe bet that we'd be good targets for the nasty little bugger. So, I just thought I'd warn everyone not to download the attachment to any email that looks like this. Better still, just delete the email without opening it. :P

I was going through my emails this morning & found one from the United States Postal (USPS). The memo line read "usps delivery problem NR40262847" & the address said it was from support@usps.com. Everything looked very legit.

Except I hadn't ordered anything :confused:

I'm kind of trained to be suspicious about this kind of thing. So instead of opening the email, I went directly to the USPS site & tried to track the number which turned out to be bogus. I did some research & it looks to be a virus that's been going around.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp

Many of us buy off the internet & get things shipped. It's a pretty safe bet that we'd be good targets for the nasty little bugger. So, I just thought I'd warn everyone not to download the attachment to any email that looks like this. Better still, just delete the email without opening it. :P

Definitely good advice! Delete without opening. Another tip is to have an "order only" email. Gmail is one source that gives out free email accounts. If you are using it only when you order, you will not be in anyone's address book with that account so you will be very unlikely to get a virus sent to you. When I get one of those emails in my main "Friends" account, I know immediately it is bogus because I never use that account when I order.

• 2 weeks later...