NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sam's yams

CRYROLFE

I couldn't find any different information than that page you have linked. See if the packaging says anything about added preservatives, salt, spices or oils. Saw a phone number on the website, too.

If they really are only 100% dehydrated yams then. Oh yeah, bye by cheezits!!!

Even better if Tesla likes bits of raw yam or sweet potato. But one of my guys only eats banana chips & not bananas, so who knows?

Really... very glad if you find an alternative to junk food. ;)

Just thought of this...

First, when you've said Tesla is not responding to any of the food you've offered, did you mean from your hand? Do you know that he knows what you're offering? Has he had these things in a dish where there are no strings & he can actually taste them?

Second thing, how about peanut butter (organic & low every bad thing)? I've not seen many birds pass that up. Also, if he goes for it, he has to stay to eat it off your finger. He can't snatch & zip back to safety.

What do you guys think of these? Maybe the french fry cuts would be good as a training treat.

SAM'S YAMS

This is a big "NO-NO", It's processed and loaded with Sugar...

Sugars Fructose 1.0 g

Sugars

Fructose 1.0 g

Glucose 1.7 g

Sucrose 4.4 g

Maltose 6.5 g

Edited by Jayd

Well, it's a natural dehydration process....but since the ingredients are simply "sweet potatoes" then I'm pretty sure the sugar is the same as the sugar found in the actual sweet potatoes. Isn't it?

This is from the company....

Sweet potato is very high in anti-oxidants. We add nothing artificial, no sweeteners, colors, or processed food items. Sam's Yams are made only of human food quality, fresh sweet potato and nothing more. The trick is in the patent pending drying process, where the sweet potato is transformed into a chew that has characteristics similar to rawhide or jerky.

FRONT PORCH PETS

Edited by CRYROLFE

I would leave those treats alone since they are made for dogs and give Tesla fresh sweet potatoes, that is what I am doing as we just dug our yams this past Saturday and we got a bunch of large ones, two of them weighed in at over 10 pounds each, I have never seen such huge ones before so we are having them often.

Well, it's a natural dehydration process....but since the ingredients are simply "sweet potatoes" then I'm pretty sure the sugar is the same as the sugar found in the actual sweet potatoes. Isn't it?

This is from the company....FRONT PORCH PETS

I'm at a loss as to what to say, no, we don't feed our fid's dog food or Cheetos's or something that looks like beef jerky...our use stress to see how much our fid's know... I'm sorry, there are hundreds of posts and threads related to proper and safe food, and how to train your Grey on this forum, there's posts on safe and unsafe food, You really need to do some research, and stick to bird foods and treats that are for parrots.....Here's some to start with....

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?112983-Nutrition-Diet

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?137487-Top-10-Common-Foods-that-Can-Poison-Your-Bird

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?59809-complete-veggie-fruit-list

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190301-What-to-feed-Jack

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?13954-monkey-nuts

This one's ok. They are only dehydrated sweet potatoes with no added products. The nutrition analysis given is spot-on with sweet potato nutrition data. Some highlights for one cup of sweet potato:

Sugars 13 g (total Carbs @ 41g)

Protein 4 g

Calories 180

...and for Sam's Yams (28g):

Sugars 13.6 g

Protein 2.1 g

Calories 80

I see nothing wrong with a 100% dehydrated natural food, regardless of what/who it's made for. I personally prefer fresh ingredients. Specifically, Sam's Yams are developed as a healthy alternative to the dangerous rawhide products that dogs get. We're looking for nutrition for our birds, not longevity of chewing entertainment (they have toys for that).

As has been said, stay away from the junk food, but I do commend you for trying to find various treats to try out. Time to get the fresh veggies (frozen would do, too) and slice up some treats.

For peanut butter, try mixing a bit in with fresh vegetables (that you just cut up from the last paragraph ;) ).

I don't see why Tesla wouldn't take peanut butter off the tip of your finger. He's taking treats from your hand. This would encourage him to get closer for a longer period of time. If it turns out that he won't take the pb from your finger, you can dip it in a piece of apple, carrot, celery etc. for a while & try using your finger again, eventually.

Just a note, you might not pull away each time he comes to get the treat. He can interpret that as flinching or teasing.

Don't worry about him throwing food out of his dish. That 's pretty natural even once they become good eaters. Your dog is about to get a much more varied & healthful diet ;) which happens to be very helpful with the cleanup! LOL

Right now, some flinging is fear of new stuff & some venting temper. It's ok, he's tasting it inspite of himself. Phenix finally started to accept real food when a cherry exploded as he was flinging it across the room. You should have seen the look on his face! Then, he went to the edge of the table & tried to figure out how to take it back!

Watch for the foods that don't get flung & be aware of the foods that get chewed into little pieces. In time, he will accept more things & you'll find more ways to encourage it.

Here's what we came up with on our analysis of 1/2 cup of sweet potato. Spock's dietitian did this for us...I'm sorry to disagree, but in this case I strongly feel she should stick to Parrot treats only. Sorry, I stand by my post....If a person feels it's ok to use a product sold for a dog, they might also feel it's ok to feed there bird a cat product etc..just because it sounds good. I feel it's safer to use the right product in the first place, Thank you all...Jayd

Sugars, total 19.330 g

Sucrose 5.490 g

Glucose (dextrose) 1.770 g

Fructose 2.040 g

Lactose 0.000 g

Maltose 7.130 g

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6R-45JPG9D-1&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F31%2F2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1489028156&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=eaa3ce856b14afaa35d87784e28740d7&searchtype=a

I don't see why Tesla wouldn't take peanut butter off the tip of your finger. He's taking treats from your hand. This would encourage him to get closer for a longer period of time. If it turns out that he won't take the pb from your finger, you can dip it in a piece of apple, carrot, celery etc. for a while & try using your finger again, eventually.

Just a note, you might not pull away each time he comes to get the treat. He can interpret that as flinching or teasing.

Don't worry about him throwing food out of his dish. That 's pretty natural even once they become good eaters. Your dog is about to get a much more varied & healthful diet ;) which happens to be very helpful with the cleanup! LOL

Right now, some flinging is fear of new stuff & some venting temper. It's ok, he's tasting it inspite of himself. Phenix finally started to accept real food when a cherry exploded as he was flinging it across the room. You should have seen the look on his face! Then, he went to the edge of the table & tried to figure out how to take it back!

Watch for the foods that don't get flung & be aware of the foods that get chewed into little pieces. In time, he will accept more things & you'll find more ways to encourage it.

Very good advice....

Jayd, just because something is sold for a dog, does not mean it isn't beneficial for a bird (or a turtle or a human) to eat. :-) And the fructose, glucose, etc. that you listed are just different types of sugar - sugar that is in the yam whether or not it is dehydrated or just dug out of the ground ten minutes ago. The product is ONLY yams. Nothing else has been added. There are no other ingredients, according to the company, so it isn't going to harm a bird anymore than a yam out of the ground would. I commend the original poster for looking for ingredients and products that are enriching to her bird's life.

Jayd' date=' just because something is sold for a dog, does not mean it isn't beneficial for a bird (or a turtle or a human) to eat. :-) And the fructose, glucose, etc. that you listed are just different types of sugar - sugar that is in the yam whether or not it is dehydrated or just dug out of the ground ten minutes ago. The product is ONLY yams. Nothing else has been added. There are no other ingredients, according to the company, so it isn't going to harm a bird anymore than a yam out of the ground would. I commend the original poster for looking for ingredients and products that are enriching to her bird's life.[/quote']

Thank you very much, this is mostly correct. A Carrot, when slightly steamed, it's nutrients are enhanced, large Beans when fully cooked become safe, most veggies and fruits when dehydrated, have a increase in sugar,, to much sugar is bad.

It appears, the points I've been trying to make have been over looked.. It's ok for a person experience or at least with the knowlwdge of what's good, safe or bad for our parrot, to look outside the normal realm for "New" things, after they learned what is right or wrong.[i commend the original poster for looking for ingredients and products that are enriching to her bird's life.]

This person has fed and continued feeding her Grey food that is very bad for it....As I've repeated, "I feel it's safer to use the right product in the first place,".........

So, yes, feed your parrot what ever you wish, there's enough food for bird's.[some are also bad] and known safe food's for bird's that we don't have to resort to feeding Cheeto's, Cheeze-it's and Dog Treats to our loving Grey's, Learn what is right first, then make your own choices, The whole point of ALL my post's, was to show this person the right way, to give her and her baby a chance for a healthy and long life, not to argue the benefits of a dog treat that the Manufacturer says is safe.

Please Cryrolfe and everybody, feed your fid's what you feel is right. Sorry my point was missed.....

Jayd

I am in agreement with >^..^<

Just because a company labels a dehydrated product is for a dog treat, does not limit it to being safe for humans and other critters, even our parrots. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving a parrot something like this to chew on and even consume some if the bird likes it.

The whole point of my comments in this thread, has been in regards moderation. In moderate quantities, many things are fine for human and birdie.

Take anyone of these to extremes and they become health issue possibilities for bird and human a like. Unless something is a known poison for a parrot,but ok for humans like garlic or onion, the parrot should not get any.

I give my grey small quantities of many things that are fine, a bite off a chip, some of my spaghetti, some of my morning hot or cold cereal etc, but in large quantities would be harmful. The key, as I already said, is moderation.

In regards this dehydrated Yam, a huge quantity, even if you could consume it, would have no adverse affects whatsoever. It would be a fun "Chew" item.

Jay - What are the "Right Products"? You say they must be labeled for Parrots. I say hogwash.

Any foods besides seeds, treats and pellet mixes labeled by the manufacturers as "Parrot Food". Your saying stay a way from it?

You use peanut butter, which is for humans entirely, yet it's ok for parrots? I do not understand your logic or reasoning.

All our vegetables and fruits are not labeled for Parrots, yet we all know most are very nutritious for them as well as most Legumes.

If a Yam is healthy raw, it is also healthy cooked or dehydrated......

Jay - What are the "Right Products"? You say they must be labeled for Parrots. I say hogwash.

Any foods besides seeds, treats and pellet mixes labeled by the manufacturers as "Parrot Food". Your saying stay a way from it?

You use peanut butter, which is for humans entirely, yet it's ok for parrots? I do not understand your logic or reasoning.

All our vegetables and fruits are not labeled for Parrots, yet we all know most are very nutritious for them as well as most Legumes.

If a Yam is healthy raw, it is also healthy cooked or dehydrated......

Once again, I don't see what's wrong or what I've said is so hard to understand...I stand by what I said....Jayd

"It's ok for a person experienced or at least with the knowlwdge of what's good, safe or bad for our parrot, to look outside the normal realm for "New" things, after they learned what is right or wrong" " Learn what is right first, then make your own choices,"

My question was in response to the post you made, then edited later with just the analysis data of a dehydrated Yam. It previously stated NOT to feed a Parrot anything labeled as Dog treats etc.

It's easy to cover tracks by editing your previous posts....

My question was in response to the post you made, then edited later with just the analysis data of a dehydrated Yam. It previously stated NOT to feed a Parrot anything labeled as Dog treats etc.

It's easy to cover tracks by editing your previous posts....

Dan, This is wrong, none of my post's were edited!!!!!

NOT to feed a Parrot anything labeled as Dog treats etc. Yes, I said this, more than once, nothing was edited, re-read all my posts and quotes.....

You said:"Any foods besides seeds, treats and pellet mixes labeled by the manufacturers as "Parrot Food". Your saying stay a way from it? I never said this...

Jay

Jay - You did edit your "Dog Food" comment out and replaced it with the analysis as I stated. I do not know why you are denying it.

Here is the proof...note the "Edited" at the bottom of that post:

Sugars Fructose 1.0 g

Sugars

Fructose 1.0 g

Glucose 1.7 g

Sucrose 4.4 g

Maltose 6.5 g

Last edited by Jayd
; 10-06-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Jay - You did edit your "Dog Food" comment out and replaced it with the analysis as I stated. I do not know why you are denying it.

Here is the proof...note the "Edited" at the bottom of that post:

Sugars Fructose 1.0 g

Sugars

Fructose 1.0 g

Glucose 1.7 g

Sucrose 4.4 g

Maltose 6.5 g

Last edited by Jayd
; 10-06-2010 at 01:14 PM.

I don't know why your doing this, but it's so wrong.. Say what you will about me, I'll turn my cheek once again.. This is sad Dan.....Jay