NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Neo after one week at home

Barbara2

Neo has been with us one week today. In that time he has celebrated his 4 month bird day and has become very comfortable, or so it seems. He is eating and playing like he's been here his whole life.

I tried to get a picture of him attacking his swing. He doesn't so much like to swing on it (except hanging upside down from the top of it) but he loves to ring the bells. He is a joy!

week1.jpg

I had to take the picture from a distance because if I get close he comes down and comes over to the door. In this picture his feet are on the bottom of the swing, tail pointing up and beak on the rope perch.

Greyt looking playstand and Neo should have lots of fun hanging out on it while out of the cage, my Josey loves bells too, it must be a grey thing, they love making noise and bells do it so well, thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

We have an African Senegal that is also a bell freak but the Hahn's Macaw, not at all. So it must be an African thing.

PS. I have a very elaborate playstand with several bars and lots of toys but Neo was afraid of it. So I went with the simple, easily moveable stand and he's happy.

Edited by Barbara2
additional info

• 2 weeks later...
I saw you have a Senegal as well. I was wondering if you could comment on how the Senegal and Timneh are getting along. I have a Sennie and we're considering getting a Timneh, so we were curious how bringing the Timneh around the Senegal effected it.

Right now we haven't let them get together except to meet. The TAG has explored the top of the Sennie's cage while the Sennie was inside. The Sennie seemed very scared. The Hahn's let the TAG know in no uncertain terms that the Hahn's cage is off limits. (The TAG would get his toes bit if he ventures over there.) We have let the Sennie and TAG be face-to-face with my husband holding the Sennie on his finger and me holding the TAG. A TAG looks gigantic compared to a Senegal!

Speaking of Neo, he has been home with us now 3 weeks today. In that time he is getting much better about taking his bath and his harness training is coming along....slowly but it is coming along. So far he will step up whenever I ask and go back to his cage even when I can tell he really doesn't want to. But he is not fully flighted yet so I'm sure that will change. :D

week3.jpg

You will never bore us with the love you have for your birds. This is the best place in the world to share your love of all things grey, and your other feathered friends too. I love Neo's setup. His swing is terrific and he looks so adventurous hanging down from it. The last picture with him sitting on the cup of his portable stand is just adorable. You are off to such a great start. Before I brought home a grey, I read what kind of bird my red bellied parrot (poicephalus) would most likely adapt to, and it was suggested that birds from the same continent will have the best chance of living together. There are so many variables though. With a lot of time and care, and an ever watchful eye, I think it depends on the personalities of each individual bird and family. We have a peaceful coexistence going on here with each of them staying out of the others' space and each have separate time to interact with the family out of the cage, and cage time when the other is out. No matter how many pictures I see of greys they all seem new and special. Each one has a sparkle that makes them unique and beautiful.

That's interesting. Up until today, Neo has been outstanding with me (his primary caretaker) and accepting of my husband. Today we got all three birds out at the same time. The Hahn's macaw is molting and has the head pin feathers that need picking. So hubby was grooming the Hahn's and the baby grey took acception. When hubby tried to pet his head, Neo lunged! That is the first time I've seen him do that. When we came back from dinner and I had Neo in my lap, he was fine with hubby's pets. It is important to take cues from the bird and adjust the human behavior.