NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just a check on what y'all think about Sully's diet

JDS5607

Because my other birds are sooooooooo picky (the only things besides seed and pellets they will touch are broccoli, strawberry tops, and egg) We were really wondering what would be a good diet for Sully... THEN when he would barely touch his seed, I was worried he wasn't eating enough... ah, and I got some great advice from here :)

SO! I think we have a good diet figured out for Sully, and I wanted y'alls feedback on it.

Morning (about 5a) Sully gets:

A mixture of celery,broccoli, red apple, strawberries, and either egg or peanut butter. The majority is celery and broccoli, with a few pieces of apple and strawberries. In addition to that, i put something different in everyday.. like spinach, carrots, potatoes (just a little!) today and yesterday, it was pumpkin.

Lunchtime: Sully will get:

A couple pieces of pasta OR some veggies from my soup OR leftovers from dinner the night before if appropriate. He doesn't get a lot because he still has veggies left over from the morning before.

Dinner: Sully usually gets a piece of what we're eating, if it's healthy. If not, he gets some rice or a random veggie from the fridge (he's not a big eater at night)

Of course there is the occasional pretzel or cheeto he gets, but the snacks are usually kept at minimum.

So how am I doing?

Morning (about 5a) Sully gets:

A mixture of celery,broccoli, red apple, strawberries, 1 piece of fruit every other day! [strawberry's are sprayed with extreme amounts of pesticides, we don't feed them to our fids, no tops either, Beet or carrot tops are great..] and either egg Only a couple times a week or peanut butter.Daily The majority is celery and broccoli, with a few pieces of apple and strawberries[?]. In addition to that, i put something different in everyday.. like spinach,Very little spinach, inhibits calcium absorption, carrots, potatoes (just a little!) today and yesterday, it was pumpkin.

Lunchtime: Sully will get:

A couple pieces of pasta OR some veggies from my soup Really needs a assortment of fresh leafy green veggies OR leftovers from dinner the night before if appropriate. He doesn't get a lot because he still has veggies left over from the morning before. All fresh food should be removed after 2-4 hours. Human food should be used as a treat only, parrot's like and expect a routine, make a menu, check it's value, alter occasionally.

Dinner: Sully usually gets a piece of what we're eating, if it's healthy. If not, he gets some rice Rice and cooked beans are a grey't source of protein, human left overs aren't..or a random veggie from the fridge (he's not a big eater at night)

Of course there is the occasional pretzel or cheeto No salt, no Cheetos, maybe a salt free pretzel on occasion.he gets, but the snacks are usually kept at minimum. A half teaspoon of sunflower seeds, 1 almond or walnut is great.So how am I doing?

There's a lot of good post here about whats good for our fid's here, check them out....Thanks Jayd

Rice and cooked beans are a grey't source of protein, human left overs aren't

Jay I really don't know what to think of that statement, feeding a parrot human left overs. What do you do, toss the bird a finger or toe to nibble on, or a rib? Lol.

Jay I really don't know what to think of that statement, feeding a parrot human left overs. What do you do, toss the bird a finger or toe to nibble on, or a rib? Lol.

In my case... I don't toss it, they eat it fresh....It's fingers, palms and arms lately....lol luv-ya....

What would be considered a leafy green veggie? He doesn't seem to like leaves at all!

Oh- and with the strawberries-- no pesticides! We grow them ourselves :)

That's great, strawberry's should be given a small piece every other day or so, no top's. Green Leafy Veggies: Kale, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, Dandelions, Beet and Carrot tops, Bok Choy, etc....No lettuce, very little Chard and Spinach... Thanks Jayd