NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Congo questions?

Arjadaga

While deciding between a timneh or a congo one thing that caught me in my tracks is how congos have a reputation for switching human bonds but not a single timneh has. I live in a household of multiple people, so this is important to me. For any who have congos, is this true? Did your congo switch human bond if you live in a multi-person household? For those who have a timneh did yours switch a human bond or even add a bond? Thanks ahead of time for your info!

I have a Timneh and she is bonded to me as I live alone. She does have her "other favorites" so to speak. My oldest grandson, 21, is her love. As soon as he comes in the door she seeks him out for a pecan nut. He and she have a little game, he taps somewhere and she comes, he taps again an she goes there, eventually she gets a pecan. Tony doesn't talk to Ana Grey but she talks to him, "want some" she says and he gives her a nut. She will also fly to his shoulder. Now my 10-year-old grandson, is also a favorite of hers, she will fly to Gabriel and he doesn't have to do a darn thing. I guess Ana Grey has a thing for guys which is fine with me as I am hoping one of these two grandsons will be her new parront someday in the future. She is also fearless.

Edited by luvparrots

The switching of Congos or Timnehs as they mature, is more hearsay than anything on the web.

Both will sometimes remain the cuddle muffin of the person they began with as a baby and some may change down the road. Individuals may decide they don't want to cuddle with anyone once they mature. Each bird has their own personality and cannot be locked into some type of stereo type that people read on the web.

Timnehs are know to be a little more laid back than Congos, but thats not a guarantee either.

I have a congo that loves me my wife and my son and will fly to almost any one when she gets to know them

She has always been around people and is not afraid of new things and she travels very well infact she has been all over the U.S. with us.

Some people say she is not the average CAG

When our friends come over they always make over her and she loves it up.

It's extremely important to make sure that all people in a multi member household get involved with the new bird so that the chances of one-person bonding is greatly lessened. Eventually, a bird will like a person for certain things and other people for other things. It's called socializing and it's very important that it be done in homes that have more than one person living there. And as Dan said, there's much hearsay and false facts about greys/timnehs. Both types need to be socialized.

I have a congo that loves me my wife and my son and will fly to almost any one when she gets to know them

She has always been around people and is not afraid of new things and she travels very well infact she has been all over the U.S. with us.

Some people say she is not the average CAG

When our friends come over they always make over her and she loves it up.

You truly have a special baby...Thanks Jayd

As far as socializing, there's no difference between them . Both need that. As far as other differences, there's many but those differences may not apply to every single bird.

Example---lets say that a congo is known to bite alot. Not all congos will bite alot but others will.

Example---lets say that a timneh is not known to bite. Many will not bite but others will.

It's strictly an individual thing because none of the birds have an exact personality because they're really not machines.

Lots of other differences between the two weren't mentioned because you only wanted to know about the subject of one-person differences.

Probably color and looks are the least important things as far as differences.

Edited by Dave007

Adding my two cents-all of our Greys came from other places as adults we have Pookie-Congo Grey 22 years old-I am her person will let other step her up but is a sneak biter sometimes, Gunner-Timneh-17 years old started as a pet then became a breeder lost his mate and became a plucker-the most nervous bird in the house it has taken lots of time to gain some trust-will step up and asks for head scratches but only on his terms, Whisper-Camaroon Grey-unknown age suspect young-Sweet to me, calm with most people amuses, herself very well. At the Sanctuary near my home we have 10 Greys all have different personalities and again the Timnehs seem to be the most cautious of the group. One of the Congo's loves to be at ground level and chases feet with gusto. Hope that gives you an idea of the varied personalities of individual birds rather than subspecies.

True, I still haven't contacted a breeder yet so my mind is still open. I've got 5 breeders near me so I will be able to visit the babies as they grow up to let them pick me. Also, is there a difference in pet quality is the eggs are incubator hatched? Or if they spend the 1st few weeks with their parents? And what do you feed your grey? Right now I'm thinking of the organic Harrisons diet. Also, does anybody know of a sanctuary in Maryland?

Edited by Arjadaga