NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Floor mat under cage... any ideas where I can find what I need??

DonaldLL

Hello... I was looking at office depot the other day for a desk floormat to put under the cage. The footprint of the cage is 24"x 34". I didn't see any desk mats for hard floors (all had spikes on the bottom) nor did I see anything big enough. Where can I buy such a thing? I was hoping to get something like 48"x60"...

Thanks

At Home Depot, there is flooring that looks like tile or wood, it comes in strips and self adheres to "float" on the flooring. It comes in a box of about 24 square feet and is about two dollar a square foot, but you could easily put it together in whatever configuration works best for your area. It is called Allure. It might be just the type of thing to help you set up an easy clean space around the cage.

if i was you i`d go to any flooring shop that fits and ask if they have any off cuts? sometime they will give away of be very low cost! and come on a roll so you can cut to size!!

please note do not let parrots at them some can contain metal in them for none slip! or soft backing!

Bird house - I have got to tell you that your picture makes me chuckle every time you make a comment to a post. I actually get tears in my eyes I laugh so hard. The expression on that owls face goes along with whatever comment you make.

As far as the question goes - I thought the lenoleum remnant idea was good but Lowes has plastic carpet runners too that I use in front of the cage or on the sides. They also have some mats for under office chairs but I don't know if they are large enough.

I had one of those mats under Babalus cage in our other house and I did not like it to much... It was over carpet, and the weight of his cage put dents in the mat so it was a tad bit difficult to move the cage off of the mat. Also, I might have gotten a mat that was to small (due to price) but my cage did not fit over it to well and poops still hit the carpet. I had to make a cut and push the mat in front of the cage so the back was not over it. After some time the corners also started to bubble up and if you walked to close barefoot, ouch! Anyway her is a picture of mine, so I guess my point is, if you get one of the office mats, get a large one. DSC03117.jpg

I wound up Ordering a 46"x60" designed for hard floors... No little spikes on the bottom. It should be delivered next week. Kimkim... I thought that the mat might get indented so much that it would be difficult to move. Stella's cage is half on carpet and half on tile so I figured I'd have the same problem you are speaking of with the part that is on the carpet. Right now we just have towels and bathmats down.... So I hope the desk mat is an improvement

I am not sure the name of the cage because I bought it off craigslist from a lady, new in box, who bought it from someone in her bird club who had a few at a price she could not refuse. I did not even look at the box to see if there was a name I was just so excited about the cage! She had it put together for us when we got there so I left the box there. I got it for $550 I think, it was a gift from my husband for my bday. The measurements are 36" wide 56" tall (not including the play top) and 26" deep.

I have carpet... and I actually got about 9 plastic placemats from Target ($2 each) and put them around the cage. I cut out some of them to fit around the wheels of the cage. They overlap and go a little bit under the cage so it catches a lot of mess (except when he launches things across the room). I have to pull them out and wipe off each one and vacuum but it seemed to be a better solution than trying to find a big plastic mat and then, yeah, you have the problem with the edges curling up when you do that. I'm happy with my cute flowery placemats right now. :)

On Spencer's first day, I neatly arranged newspapers around the cage. Then Spencer took off flying and whoosh! newspapers everywhere. LOL. That's fine with me, newspapers looked horrible lol!