NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hyacinth macaw

Karcar

My dream bird is a hyacinth macaw I know of a lady that has a breeder bird for sale at a not too bad price, I wonder if I would be biting off more than I could chew trying to make a pet out of a breeder?

What do you think, am I being foolish?

Karen :confused:

Karen have you had experience with large macaws? If not then let this offer slide but in my opinion I would not think a breeder bird would make for a good pet, of course I don't know much about the macaws but I wouldn't tackle one of them unless I had vast experience dealing with those large birds and what it takes to keep one healthy and happy.

...wonder if I would be biting off more than I could chew trying to make a pet out of a breeder? :

Or the other way around?? Can you tell I have a little fear of big beaks? :)

They are amazing birds & I really am in awe of them, though. It would be great if you could make your dream come true. Have you spent any time with this bird?

No, I haven't spent any time with the bird and Judy no I don't have any experience with macaws, other than holding and playing with my friends green wing that is a cuddle bug. But to be honest I need to give my new baby (TAG) all of my attention right now. I guess I was just having a brain cramp for a moment, lol, but one of these days a macaw will be sharing my home, and hopefully it will be a hyacinth.

Karen

A Hyacinth macaw is probably one of the best choices for a first Macaw, as long as its not a breeder. Diet is of the main concern with any Macaw. For further reference, in selecting a Hyacinth Macaw you must be certain the were fed the proper food while being raised, there requirements are different then most parrots, there famous for being Stunted if not fed properly and abundantly fed through their youth. Over the years there have been many Hyacinth and other Macaws we've taken in and finished fledgling because for this reason. I fell Macaws give the best body language of all the parrots, with ample warning. That might be because of the difference in the handling when hand-feeding, which is something I don't recommend unless your a really experienced it....We just finished caring for two 19 year old brother and sister Macaws, You'd hold one on each arm, and they would lay their heads on you chest.... Thanks Jayd

Years ago I worked with a Macaw, I was a junior designer in an office where the owner had a young male scarlet. My main duties being a junior was making the coffee and being a nanny to Jasper the 2 year old Macaw. Although I loved him dearly and we formed quite a good bond, he did put me off ever owning one. He was very cuddly and affectionate to myself and my boss who was also female, he used to blush with his cheeks going a slight shade of red when we gave him loving attention, but all of my male co-workers suffered!

With my male co-workers he turned from a very sweet, cute, cuddly, soppy parrot to the devils son! He was incredibly aggressive to any males and would chase them on the floor screaming at them. He would put his wings out full stretched, head forward, beak open and run at them. Anyone being confronted by a large parrot doing this will know how scary they can become.

He also needed constant attention, and I mean constant! My only hope of getting any work done was to fill up my top drawer with paper, plastic milk bottle tops and hide some treats in there. At the time foraging toys was not a very well known thing, so looking back I suppose this was my version of one, which kept him occupied for a while.

I have to admit, I do have a soft spot for Macaws and am still in awe of how beautiful they are. However, when considering what parrot my family wanted to be adopted by, I ruled out a Macaw straight away.

Because this has been my only experience dealing with a Scarlet Macaw, Jasper may have been a one off with the jealousy and territorial behaviour but I could not risk it with having 2 young children in the house. :)

Very good response and thank you, Yes Scarlet's are known for this. Like all birds, they each have known traits. The Hyacinth is called "The Gentle Giant"..

They have a high mortality rate while hand-feeding. There cost: sometimes higher then $15,000.00....Thanks Jayd

9508_1.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

There is a Hyacinth at the local pet store here he belongs to the owner and lives in the shop, His name is Bluejeans and he is truly know by name through out the bird world here in our area ANYONE can hold him as a matter of fact he begs you to hold him. I go to see him when ever I get a chance. . One day I will get one, but I guess it is best to get a baby and not a breeder no matter how much I want one.

Karen

There large and majestic, and if they haven't been mis-treated, their so gentle...A proper cage is half as big as a small room...LOL Jay d

This is worth seeing.... http://www.google.com/images?q=hyacinth+macaws&oe=utf-8&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Wn6eTKz-F5P0tgPmuZnWAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQsAQwAA&biw=1366&bih=641

Edited by Jayd

The breeder we got our new little grey baby from, had a lot of macaws: greens, reds, and blues.. and a pair of Hyacinths too - they were not living in the aviary in the garden as the other macaws, but he had a room in the house filled with big perches and the Hyacinth pair sat inthere (they were inside because of a robbery, it is too risky to have them outside for everyone to see them) He offered us the next handraised Hyacinth baby at a small price of 20.000 USD - for fun of course :P We are absolutely not able to keep such a big bird inside our small apartment ;) But they are truly stunning, tho. Incredible colors!

they do require more fatty acids than most other Parrots and lots of space, a Hy is one of those birds I might try working with a retired breeder as they are not usually aggressive. I believe you could have some hope of winning him over as long as you are patient and do not try to push him into accepting you. You might meet the bird first and sort of feel out how you feel about each other. It would be a whole new life style to adjust to.