NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

For those that think that theirs doesn't smell . . .

DrTak

My Leo has a great musky scent that's all his own. Love burying my nose in the nape of his neck after he's just dried off from a bath :)

You might want to have Leo checked for a infection or something..or check around his cage where he might be picking this oder up from...Jayd

Clearly, people's sense of smell varies quite a bit. It seems to be like hearing, where denial is part of sensory loss. Witness the elderly lady drenched in perfume who doesn't need a hearing aid either.

Tweedle, there WAS a study a few years back that found a correlation between nostril diameter and olfactory acuity, so your comment about a big nose may be truth in jest.

I love to smell my birds (the ones that'll let me). I like to put my nose on their backs and smell that alive scent. Some of the birds have a distinctive scent. Our blue headed pionus has a sweet, incense like scent around her face, which can be very noticeable at times. I love it. The parrotlet has a faint distinctive scent around her face. Moussa the Grey just smells warm and alive.

Dayo has a rose with a hint of sugar snap pea, butter bean with fennel accents and of course a hint of cracked and red chili pepper aroma. :P

Sounds like you were hungry and stuck your parrot in an oven bag at 350.

Supposedly, crows and parrots are the most intelligent of birds. More intelligent than some of the great apes.

Edited by DrTak

You might want to have Leo checked for a infection or something..or check around his cage where he might be picking this oder up from...Jayd

no no, lol. He's had that scent since he was a baby. Every one of my fids has a different scent. He gets check-ups every 6 months just like the rest of the flock, and he's just fine. It's just simply what Leo smells like.

I noticed that my daughter's green cheek conure had an awful smell when she brought some cooked veggies for it to eat over a couple of days and didn't keep the food refrigerated properly. Naema ate the food fine, but we all noticed her smell and changed her diet while my daughter was visiting. As soon as we got Naema on fresher food, the smell went away.

I noticed that my daughter's green cheek conure had an awful smell when she brought some cooked veggies for it to eat over a couple of days and didn't keep the food refrigerated properly. Naema ate the food fine, but we all noticed her smell and changed her diet while my daughter was visiting. As soon as we got Naema on fresher food, the smell went away.

I make it a point to smell my fids' breath at least once a day. That and poop checks :)