NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

More yellow better the talker?

Georgiesmum

I read on the internet that amazons with yellow heads i.e yellow naped, yellow crowned, double yellow heads, are better talker's. I went to pick out my baby Orange wing Amazon last week and i picked the one with the most yellow on the head. Does this mean he/she might be a talker as I know orange wing's aren't known to be great talkers and i don't mind if he never does talk but was just interested to know this :)

Prob a stupid question :(

Edited by Georgiesmum

I may be wrong but I don't think that by having more yellow on them makes them better at talking, rather than it being down to the individual species of the Amazon. Blue Fronted Amazons like Diego are also up there for their talking abilities and they have as much yellow on their heads as an Orange winged Amazon. In fact Orange Winged Zon's are quite often confused with the Blue Fronted but the Orange Winged are the only Zon's with orange in their wings hence their names whereas the Blue Fronted have Red.

Don't worry too much about him talking, as many Orange Winged Zons are pretty good talkers. I also think it will help having Georgie as your little Zon will have someone to look up to and copy. :)

I may be wrong but I don't think that by having more yellow on them makes them better at talking, rather than it being down to the individual species of the Amazon. Blue Fronted Amazons like Diego are also up there for their talking abilities and they have as much yellow on their heads as an Orange winged Amazon. In fact Orange Winged Zon's are quite often confused with the Blue Fronted but the Orange Winged are the only Zon's with orange in their wings hence their names whereas the Blue Fronted have Red.

Very good response Caroline, And Gorgiesmum, very good question.. Remember, A Amazons final coloring won't show for many years. As to the color yellow, The Double Yellow-head, Single-Yellow head, now called Yellow-nape are voted your top two talkers,[sic] from there down, Bluefront etc are classed as "not quite as good as".They do this to increase the value of said bird..... All Zon's have the potential to talk, some more so then others...Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd

he Double Yellow-head, Single-Yellow head, now called Yellow-nape are voted your top two talkers, from there down, Bluefront etc are classed as "not quite as good as".

Hahahahahahahaha LOL, I have just read this out to Diego and he just answered "Clever Boy" Oh my word the timing could not have been better! LOL (Or maybe he understood what I said?) This has just made my night, hahahahaha

• Haha 1

Hahahahahahahaha LOL, I have just read this out to Diego and he just answered "Clever Boy" Oh my word the timing could not have been better! LOL (Or maybe he understood what I said?) This has just made my night, hahahahaha

This made our day....LOL Jayd and Maggie, Me to, Spock yuck-yuck....

This actually leads me onto another question about Amazons, are they the same as Greys in the respect that they know when to use certain answers or able to question you when appropriate? I know he does understand words like - Fly, Dinner time (one of his favourites!), Flirty eyes (He will flutter his eyelids at me LOL), Where's your book (He goes and looks for a toy) but I wonder if he will ever use these words in the future for when he wants these things i.e. when he wants his toy or his dinner?

With all these words he knows thinking about it the only one he still does not quite get is NO! Although I think that is a bit of hard headedness coming from him. LOL

To answer your last question first, Your right, he knows what NO means...LOL...

This is a very good question, I'm going to reply from personal feelings, from what others have to say and from what I've personaly experienced..

Most people agree that Grey's plan what they say and are going to do next, they instigate and act to a preplanned course of action to get what they desire.

Most people say a Amazon is smart, and one of the best mimics...

Now, how doe's a Amazon who is raised by a Grey person or someone who treats the Zon as other then a clown and bird who can mimic a large vocabulary of word and sounds?

A Zon is smart and extremely intelligent, not to the extent of a Grey, due to there life in there wild habitat...They live by people in the wild so they don't have to travel as far to get food and water. In there captive world they learn to do what ever to get exactly what they want and also know how to say thank you, again to be sure they continue to get what they want. They talk and sing to please, and receive social rewards from this, I could go on and on, this is intelligent.....

To answer your question, Yes, to a point.They know what works and what to do to make it work. They may not know what a certain word might means, but the do known if they use a certain word they'll get close to what there asking for.....Jayd

Edited by Jayd