NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Too cold in winter?

Georgiesmum

We have kept Georgie's cage in the conservatory all summer and he really like it as he can see everything and has lots of room to fly around and also his play stand is there but i was wondering about leaving him (and the amazon i'm getting Ina few days) out here during the winter in the nights as it gets quite cold and i'm not sure how grey's are with cold. Here in Ireland people have them in sheds in the winter and personally i think it is awful and i have heard story's of them dying. But the conservatory is joined on to the house, its just that because there are windows all round it wouldn't have the same heat as the rest of the house. there are heaters out there but we don't turn them on very often... Do you think i would need the heaters on or are grey's ok with cold?

Wish I could answer that. But I live in New England & having tropical birds anywhere but in a house is just not an option. One important thing to avoid is drafts. But how cold do you think it would get?

Then there's the little thing you slipped in there about getting a new Amazon...!?! Congratulations & What's that about?

That depends upon what you mean by cold. Indoors, a grey can handle 65 to 71/72 degrees fahrenhiet. Cold winds are a no no. If a heater is needed, put one in. The space of the area the bird is kept in has to be large if a heater is used. Very cold weather means less humidity which isn't good. Also an area that's very damp and clammy isn't good. Most people who have birds in large areas which are surrounded by lousy outdoor weather such as in the UK usually bring their birds in for the winter.

Actually, Greys can tolerate temps as low as 55 degrees, but they must be allowed to adapt. One degree per day is the rule. More important are temperature swings; if where your grey perches for significant amount of time varies by more than 15 degrees F (8 degrees or so C) in a 24 hour rhythm, your bird will be stressed; many advocate even smaller ranges (10 F/5C)

Cold damp breezes are a no-no, but also watch out for warming your bird up too much during the day, if he/she will be having cool nights.

My mum who lives in the South of England has a conservatory attached to her house, even with a central heating heater it gets freezing in the winter as there is no insulation. After knowing how cold my mums conservatory gets I would be unhappy putting Diego here in the winter. However, your conservatory may be much warmer so it is hard to say. I personally would move them into the main house, where they can enjoy the warmth and feel all cosy during the cold winter months. :)

I personally would move them into the main house, where they can enjoy the warmth and feel all cosy during the cold winter months. :)

Exactly, I would want my fids with me in the house where I am spending time, look at it like this, if it is too cool for you to feel comfortable then it will be too cold for them.

Thank you all for your answers.The conservatory is in the house and is used in the winter as it is attached to the kitchen where well are all the time so heat from there will travel out... its just not as warm as the rest of the house because of the windows... I'm not sure what temp it would be but there is not drafts as the house it new enough. I will take it as it comes as it is not cold here yet. I can easily move them in to kitchen but was just wondering as its kinda the bird room now with loads of thing set up :)

Birdhouse: As for th enew Amazon i am picking him up this weekend and i will share loads of pics!!! Can't wait!! He/She is an orange wing and i have his cage all ready which George Is looking at and checking out wondering whats going on. I have it beside his for a few days to let him get used to the idea.

Looks like your conservatory is a great bird room! Georgie's got everything a fid could want. It would be a bit of a shame to have to change things.

You've got all the info on temp tolerances. Hopefully it won't be an issue. You might need to move the cages into the kitchen on random nights or during some colder snaps, like you said. Keep a thermometer in there & just see how it goes.

Georgie has certainly grown up to be a happy, healthy looking grey. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to his new playmate.

:)Please try and keep the temperature as constant as possible.. a change of a few degree's over a 24hr period is ok. To acclimate means to adapt a fish, bird, etc to a new environment or temperature in this case to a new standard, not a large difference in a short period of time.. To a Grey or our other parrots, a constant temp is what's important...Jayd;)