NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Will he be able to use his leg??

EgyDiver

Hi all,

i started hand-feeding a baby 4 weeks old African grey ,when i got him i noticed that his left leg was swollen at the knee joint and examining the leg i found that the bone was curved so i figured out that he had suffered most probably from calcium and phosphorus deficiencies due to the poor nutrition of his parents which led to maybe fracture or disfigurement of his leg ,now he stands on the leg but i don't think his toes are functional ,when i started feeding him a week ago ,his leg was swollen and his 2 of his toes were pointing upwards,now his toes are flat on the ground and he stands on them but never moves them i frequently open and close his fist as a sort of physiotherapy but he has no closing reflex at all,the other leg when i touch his foot he closes it on my finger but the left leg no,he has normal sensation in it,does anyone had experience with similar condition before?,is there hope that as he grows up the leg will be functional?, what if it turned out to be non functional,will it be possible for the bird to live a normal life with one functional foot only? unfortunately where i live we don't have certified avian vets that could benefit him so i'm on my own ,please who ever have any helping info regarding this issue please help me ,i just want to help him as much as i can with the available resources,thanx in advance

I'm sorry to hear about your poor little baby.

I'm not sure about this one, but I would highly recommend trying to find an Avian vet if possible. Unfortunately Avian vets don't tend to be just around the corner like with normal vets and most people here on the forum have to drive a long way to get to one. Where about's are you from? as maybe some other members may know of a vet in your area. Another reason why it would be very important to find an Avian vet is, if it is a long term problem with his leg then you may need them for future health reasons. Without an Avian vet to call upon could put his health at risk.

I have to agree with Carolina on this one, you need to find an avian vet even if you have to go a long distance for this needs taken care of while he is still a baby, no need having a handicapped bird if it can be helped. You don't say where you live, tell us and maybe one of the members knows of someone in your area or google it to find the closest one.

I am so sorry your baby has a problem but please do what you can for this grey, he depends on you.

I'm from Egypt and all the vets we have are mainly dealing with cats ,dogs ,horses and cattle ,and i assure you that no avian vets exist :(

i took him to one of the good vets ,he said it's a tendinitis (which i don't agree with) as i'm a Dermatologist and i studied medicine myself,it's very obvious that it'was a fracture that healed wrong or bone deformity from calcium and phosphorus defeciency ,what i'm doing right now is giving him calcium,vitamin d and phosphorus supplements and feeding him well,i try to move his leg and toes frequently as a sort of physiotherapy hoping not to lose muscles in the leg in case the nerve starts working again ,please pray for him ,i'll do my best to kep him healthy and satisfied.Thank you for replying.

'm from Egypt and all the vets we have are mainly dealing with cats ,dogs ,horses and cattle ,and i assure you that no avian vets exist

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this.

I have done a search on the Egypt Yellow Pages and 153 vets came up. In the first page of looking at each of their websites, I found the following which have an Avian Vet. I'm sorry but I have not got the time right now to go through every page and filter out all of the Avian Vets but I'm sure that with 3 coming up on the first page of the search, there will be many more.

American Veterinary Center

30 El Gezirah El Wosta St.

Zamalek, Cairo

Tel: 02-27376664, 016-8877005, 02-27376668

Established by Dr. Salah Hassan (23 years of experience in USA) - 1st in Egypt & the Middle East offering top technology in Veterinary medicine.

http://www.americanvetcenter.com

Dr. Markos E. Naeem

Sherry St., Beside Minna Pharmacy

Sekala, Hurghada

Tel: 012-4580052

Examination, vaccination treatment & operations for dogs, cats, horses, camels, donkies and parrots. Pet accessories, everything you need for traveling with your pet, including microchip, antibody rabies test, traveling certificate and international passport & pet hotel.

Pet Vet

20 El Horeya St.

Heliopolis, Cairo

Tel: 02-24170494

Fax: 02-24170494

http://www.petvetclinic.net/animalcare.html

Also it may be worth contacting these Vetinarian Colleges in Egypt as they may also be able to provide you with an Avian Vet list:

Alexandria

-Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

-University of Alexandria

Assiut

-Asyut University

Beni-Suef

- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

- Beni Suef University

Giza

-Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University

I'm sure we will all pray for your baby to be OK but like Judygram said "He depends on you."

Edited by GoDiego

Your bird has a condition which is actually a deformity in the upper bone of the leg and toe digits. It's called *splayed leg* and it's too late for any vet to do anything to straighten it out past the age of 7 to 10 days. It has nothing to do with calcium and phosphorus deficiencies. A splint is usually put on the leg so that the bone can readjust to grow straight but it can only be done while the bones are very soft and pliable. That 7 to 10 period is also the same time that bands can be put on babie's legs but by the time the bird is 2 weeks old, the toes can't be bent backward to accept the band. With splayed leg the toes remain in the position you now see. With that condition, the foot stays flat with the toes extended. Sometimes the foot tends to point inward or outward. Sometimes 1 or 2 toe digits point upward or outward. He does feel sensation there but that sensation won't make the foot tighten up like a fist. As far as leading a normal life, you have nothing to worry about. The bird usually adjusts itself to that condition. His life will be as normal as other birds. Even birds who are missing a complete leg can adjust to that situation. Uaually, the seller spots that problem quickly and has it repaired but that time period has passed.

Edited by Dave007

Almost every book sold on hand feeding a parrot and all over the net have articles on Splayed Legs, with many home made aids for it....The breeder should have seen this, and a effort should have been made before now to correct it. Suggestion, maybe you should take this poor baby to a vet to see if there's any other problems he might have.....Kudos every one...Jayd

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this.

I have done a search on the Egypt Yellow Pages and 153 vets came up. In the first page of looking at each of their websites, I found the following which have an Avian Vet. I'm sorry but I have not got the time right now to go through every page and filter out all of the Avian Vets but I'm sure that with 3 coming up on the first page of the search, there will be many more.

American Veterinary Center

30 El Gezirah El Wosta St.

Zamalek, Cairo

Tel: 02-27376664, 016-8877005, 02-27376668

Established by Dr. Salah Hassan (23 years of experience in USA) - 1st in Egypt & the Middle East offering top technology in Veterinary medicine.

http://www.americanvetcenter.com

Dr. Markos E. Naeem

Sherry St., Beside Minna Pharmacy

Sekala, Hurghada

Tel: 012-4580052

Examination, vaccination treatment & operations for dogs, cats, horses, camels, donkies and parrots. Pet accessories, everything you need for traveling with your pet, including microchip, antibody rabies test, traveling certificate and international passport & pet hotel.

Pet Vet

20 El Horeya St.

Heliopolis, Cairo

Tel: 02-24170494

Fax: 02-24170494

http://www.petvetclinic.net/animalcare.html

Also it may be worth contacting these Vetinarian Colleges in Egypt as they may also be able to provide you with an Avian Vet list:

Alexandria

-University of Alexandria

Assiut

-Asyut University

Beni-Suef

- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

- Beni Suef University

Giza

-Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University

I'm sure we will all pray for your baby to be OK but like Judygram said "He depends on you."

Thanx alot for the useful info and research, i'll contact them today to see if they have any certified avian surgeon

Your bird has a condition which is actually a deformity in the upper bone of the leg and toe digits. It's called *splayed leg* and it's too late for any vet to do anything to straighten it out past the age of 7 to 10 days. It has nothing to do with calcium and phosphorus deficiencies. A splint is usually put on the leg so that the bone can readjust to grow straight but it can only be done while the bones are very soft and pliable. That 7 to 10 period is also the same time that bands can be put on babie's legs but by the time the bird is 2 weeks old, the toes can't be bent backward to accept the band. With splayed leg the toes remain in the position you now see. With that condition, the foot stays flat with the toes extended. Sometimes the foot tends to point inward or outward. Sometimes 1 or 2 toe digits point upward or outward. He does feel sensation there but that sensation won't make the foot tighten up like a fist. As far as leading a normal life, you have nothing to worry about. The bird usually adjusts itself to that condition. His life will be as normal as other birds. Even birds who are missing a complete leg can adjust to that situation. Uaually, the seller spots that problem quickly and has it repaired but that time period has passed.

are u sure it's splayed leg?,i had lovebirds before with splayed leg and the whole leg was flat and extended to the side from the hip joint, with my grey he moves his leg and stands on it and the hip joint is in it's place ,i'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Ok, I'll use more a specific description so you can see a better picture---splayed foot. The whole area of the leg and foot doesn't have to be in a splayed position. It could be a leg, a foot or both. Having a splayed condition does or doesn't have to involve the hips and comparing a splayed condition that 2 different species may have can't change the name of the condition. Now you're saying that he moves it, stands on it. But his foot won't close. The more exercise and normal movement the bird does right noew will make that area even harder to correct if it can be at all. His open foot is already adjusting to an open position. You know there's a situation that's present. He doesn't and he''l carry on as if nothing's wrong. He's already doing that.

A person can break their arm in many different areas at the same time or just 1 or 2 or 3 areas. It can include the arm socket or not. Either way, the person has a broken arm.

And by the way, you asked me whether I'm sure?

I'm only sure about 2 things

1--death

2--taxes

Edited by Dave007

Well, I've taken him to the vet today and he said it's a congenital deformity ,most probably his toes wont be functional, and at this age he wont be able to tolerate anesthesia for surgery as it'll be more than 3 hours surgery and even if he do the surgery the prognosis wont be good,he said that the baby's health is very good and that he will be able to live a healthy life and he'll manage to behave normally with the healthy leg.

Thank you all for your support ,by the way he doesn't have a name yet,do you have any suggestions?

I've never had any experience with this condition and noticed his leg looks very swollen, is this normal for Splayed leg?

Egydiver, have you had any progress with contacting an Avian vet?

I was worried about the swelling ,but he assured me it's not swollen ,it's the deformity ,the bone is thicker than the normal bone and it's bowed in the wrong direction.

Yes the one good thing about this is he was born this way and he will grow up not knowing he is any different from any other greys and he will adapt to using his leg and foot the best way he can but I am glad to hear you did take him to see another vet, thanks for updating us on him and giving him a home as some would not want an imperfect grey. I think you two will get along just fine.