NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I accidentally shut the door while the bird was on top of it...

Brittany

ohhhhhhh my god. it was an accident, and i feel so terrible right now.

i havent been here in awhile and other than this incident that just happened Pepper has been doing really great... but can someone take a look at these pics? He is shaking a little bit, he is hurt obviously

It seems as though the only damage down is the skin peeling off his feet..:( should he be OK? I know it hurts because he keeps sitting with that foot up. And I feel so terrible....as soon as I ttried to pick him up [to make sure hes OK] I got bit very very hard in my thumb so my thumb looks equivalent to his foot. Thats okay Pepper, I deserved that.

Anyways i feel terrible :( . Im really short too so I totally forgot I put him up there just 5 minutes ago. Uggh..

It was very hard to get any pictures at all and i didnt wanna try too hard to get a picture and stress him out, but here is what I got:

004.jpg

002.jpg

I didnt rush to the vet because I didnt really see any blood, and he seems to be OK other than the foot. But any second opinions are appreciated..

Does it grow back? Thanks...:(. My poor little buddy!!!!! I am trying to leave him alone right now and let him rest

He can definitely move it, I just notice when he sits he props that foot up a lot. There is a little blood but nothing bad on his foot.

I dont think hes too mad at me now...I put him in his room to relax for a few minutes while I took a bath [i leave both doors open so I can see him -- we live in an apartment...not too big here lol] and he came running on the floor to sit on the edge of the bath by me lol.

But yeah im guessing he is just going to be in pain for a few days or week and hopefully it heals fast poor buddy.

How do I see signs of infection?

Poor Pepper, accidents do happen and it will heal, apparently he didn't associate it with you so he doesn't blame you but it will be sore for a few days, just keep an eye on it for swelling and discoloration but if you have any doubts then by all means contact your avian vet for advice.

You can rinse a foot wound with hydrogen peroxide mixed 10 to 1 with water, [10 parts water mixed 1 part HP] then rinsed with running water. You can apply Neosporin Creme lighty. [Not Ointment] as need for infection...[blot after applying, no gobs]..Jayd

Judy said:if you have any doubts then by all means contact your avian vet for advice.

Edited by Jayd

I wouldn't recommend putting aloe gel on an open wound. Once it has scabbed over, in a few days, then by all means do, as it will help with the healing process

I'd go with Jay's advice, and use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect. This substance releases oxygen into the tissue, and is a powerful antiseptic. It may sting a bit, so be prepared for a not so happy bird. Neosporin is an antibiotic, and is good to apply to prevent any infection. Teatree oil is another good disinfectant for small superficial wounds.

I doubt it is possible, but if that loose piece of skin/scale could be taped back in place, that would go a long way to helping it heal and prevent infection, but I don't think a parrot would tolerate strips of tape on its foot. A vet might be able to glue it however, if you decide to go that route.

Do expect some swelling around the injury. There will be some bruising, and inflammation as part of an immune response. Keep an eye out for excessive swelling, pus, any discharge from the wound, increasing redness and pain, and any funky smell.

Whoa really, thanks for pointing that out! Even as a topical application it is toxic?

Just had a quick search, and there are a lot of articles out there stating just that Jay, but equally as many promoting the benefits of killing mites on birds, feather shampoo (!!!) with teatree oil, and recommendations for cleaning cages with it.

I'm gonna go with what you said though Jay, and not even take the chance. Thank you for the correction, and apologies for posting something dangerous without first having checked it fully.

Edited by Azzie

No , no problem, sometimes, manufacturer's add ingredients because there classified "Human Safe", we must always check "ingredients" if ever were in doubt. LOL, Most products foe birds, I won't buy.. Tea Tree oil is adsorb into the tissue, it just doesn't linger on the surface, great for human Toe fungus.....Example: some of the top brands of parrot foods, have "Grit" as a ingredient!!! One of your safest cage cleaners is still good old fashion Vinegar....Jayd

Aww :(

I did that to my Zoe (sun conure), sigh... She was pretty forgiving though, and she healed up just fine! :)

If you are often putting birds on the tops of your doors, might a suggest that thing that prevents doors from shutting. it goes in the crack of the door b/w the hinge and wall, and keeps the door from closing :) I want to order one because I put my birds up there, and the wind is constantly catching the doors and slamming them shut.

Ok, I won't do the aloe yet then..

on the peroxide, the only reason I am a bit hesitant... the bird is going to possibly play at his foot with his beak if I put that on him and i do NOT want him to eat that. :/ so is it still safe?

I feel so terrible, still. He is perching that one foot up :( ugh. I think he has a grudge lol..I got bit twice again really hard, and then a third time I got a beak beat into my head haha.

=( i can tell hes in pain and i feel helpless poor buddy!! he is eating though and talking a lot

Also, i dont see any pus..but it seemed to have the "wet" look, idk how to explain it. But no like colored liquids, it looked clear..but not flowing out -- if this makes sense?

Is that part of the healing process? [Exccccuse me, I am a paranoid person. Hah, good luck for me when I have kids :)!!]

Oh and the sad thing is i havent put him up on the door in SO long, but decided to today and yep look what happens.

Alsoo i think it looks worse in person than the pic!

Edited by Brittany

Yes, the amount of HP, is very small, and you rinse it off, even on humans you rinse HP off, the Neosporin is all so safe....These treatment are on the net, we've used them for many years. You need to worry about secondary infection....It might be wise if you contact a vet now.....Jayd

Bite Wounds FirstAidBirds.jpg The wound needs to be washed out with hydrogen peroxide or Betadine, and the bird will require aggressive antibiotic therapy. Cats transmit a bacterium called Pasteurella, which causes Pasteurella Septicemia in untreated birds. This is a serious infection resulting in death.

Edited by Jayd

An infection will take a day or so to develop, if your bird were to get one, so you won't see any pus just yet. The wet look you are describing is most likely plasma oozing out, and that's entirely normal. Inside the body, blood cells float in this liquid, and on broken skin, like in this instance, it dries up and forms a protective coating against dirt and bacteria (a scab).

As for the biting, that might just be a fear reaction because he's in pain, rather than holding a grudge. Animals in pain have some seemingly strange reactions to their humans.

As Jay said, if you are concerned AT ALL, or in doubt, take him to a vet and get it all checked and cleaned properly (and do ask about glueing that little skin flap back on, it's what we do with humans when they have a skin tear).

I am so sorry for Pepper's toe and for your feelings too. I agree that Pepper is probably grouchy because of the pain and doesn't consider you hurt him, just trying to keep you away from his boo-boo. I also appreciate you posting this so when the time comes that mine can fly, I can look for the device that would keep a door from closing accidentally.

""""I wouldn't recommend putting aloe gel on an open wound. """"

I very strongly disagree with that. The aloe gel is often used for open wounds that are created by serious plucking. Actually, it's the best thing to use on birds who have seriously irritated or thin open wounds. Those areas don't heal because the areas stay very irritated with open sores and will cause a bird to pluck at the area even more. Aloe gel is excellent for open wounds and loads of people have been using it on all types of open wounds, bad scrapes, bloody joints. Vets also recommend using it on open sores or wounds.

The bird in the picture has a very minor wound that can happen for different reasons. My quaker has done that to my timneh's feet and legs many times and they always turn out to be bites that involve lots of blood.

Don't feel bad. Willow and Leo have each gotten the accidental toe caught in a closing door. Once by the wind, blowing through the house and once by me. They both came out fine, and both were a little worse than what you showed. Watch for swelling, but if there's not much he should be fine.

I felt horrible too, now I always triple check before closing doors.