NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why a Clipped wing Bird can Fly!!!

Jayd

Why can they Fly when clipped?

During Lift, a birds wing forms a elongated curve, kinda like a cupped hand, when air flows over this curve it gives lift. [#a] A clipped wing forms a similar shape, but with a lot less area to create as strong a lift [#b]. When a bird flaps it's wings, it first moves them forward and up, then cups them [like a scoop] and pushes down and back, creating forward motion plus lift at the same time, if a little breeze is available the lift is enhanced at the sacrifice of forward momentum and speed, less the bird flaps harder to over come this.

A clipped wing bird has to flap ferociously to accomplish this, except with a breeze it's accomplished more easily, the bigger the breeze the more lift, like a glider.

Another contributor to lift off is the 'Tail Feathers" if you watch, a bird will angle their tail feathers at a down angle when taking off or landing or hovering, this directs some of the air flow from the flapping wings to go down, like a helicopter, creating down force.

There's a lot more involved, like "Ground Effect" convection, etc. Hope this helps....

Jayd

wing.gif

Edited by Jayd

Thanks Jay, that's good to understand. I learned early when I took Paco out while he was still very young. Thank goodness I had his harness on him when a breeze came up unexpectedly, he puffed up, and was gone. Had it not been for the harness he would have been gone with no control, his clip was VERY severe, but it didn't matter with the breeze. Now, I find that I need to be even more careful, and the harness is a thing of the past, not a chance it will go on him again without my loosing my arm... Fully flighted bird here, with nearly all his clipped feathers molted out.

Thank you, a very good example. Jayd

Quote: I learned early when I took Paco out while he was still very young. Thank goodness I had his harness on him when a breeze came up unexpectedly, he puffed up, and was gone. Had it not been for the harness he would have been gone with no control, his clip was VERY severe, but it didn't matter with the breeze. Now, I find that I need to be even more careful, and the harness is a thing of the past, not a chance it will go on him again without my loosing my arm... Fully flighted bird here, with nearly all his clipped feathers molted out.

Edited by Jayd

Good photo example of aerodynamic lift principles Jay! Thanks for posting it. :)

I hope all with clipped birds see this and realize their bird can still fly when scared and the adrenalin kicks in or if a breeze kicks up. No one should take their bird outdoors with clipped, un-clipped wings without having a harness on.