NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Palm Oil from Ebay?

KimKim

I saw the recommendations for sawnsons in other posts too, I was just checking other places and I saw it on ebay with no label and was just curious. I guess I should not take any chances with other products when we know swansons is good, if its not broke why fix it, right? I have not tried this before so I hope he likes it! Thanks again Dave

Ok, so I got the Red Palm Oil from Swansons... It smells so bad! Babalu does not seem to care for it yet. I tried putting it on top of his PB toast but I guess I put a little to much cause he did not like it. So I mixed it with his blended mash and he was eating it. I just can't get over the smell.

Yes, many people find that the palm oil doesn't smell too good. Nothing can be done about that. Just remember that in the wild, greys not only take in the palm oil but also eat the nut which the oil covers.

Now I'm gonna assume that you found that the oil in the jar was very thick, gooey and orange colored. It's very difficult to put the oil on different things when it's like this so what you do is this..get an old seasoning jar and thoroughly clean it out. What you'll be doing is filling that bottle with the oil. Take the jar you just bought and run hot water on the jar for about approx 1 min. That will soften the oil. Open the jar and pour the oil into the seasoning bottle. At that time the oil should be redder in color. When the oil is very thin, it can be put on a variety of things much easier than when it's thick. Take the tip of a spoon and dip it into the oil in the seasoning jar. Many people actually let the oil drip onto pellets because the pellets quickly absorb the oil but you can drip it or pour it on many things. Only a small amount is used.

When finished, put the seasoning jar away near your bird foods. Within 2 to 3 hrs, the oil in the seasoning jar will return to being orange, thick and gooey.

When you're ready to use it again, take the seasoning jar and put it in the microwave for 25 seconds. Put the seasoning jar in the fridge until it's only slightly warm. The oil will get very thin and become very red again. Repeat putting it on what you want. There's no solution to getting rid of the odor. The reason for thinning out the oil is because many greys don't like the oil so it has to be put on things which they'll normally eat. Basically, it's trickery. This is what the oil in the seasoning jar looks like before the microwave and after being microwaved.

Palmoilbeforemicro.jpg

PalmOilaftermicro.jpg

My AG used to dislike red palm oil and would not touch it, or anything it was drizzled on, no matter how lightly. I kept at it, putting just the smallest bit on her food, and little by little she has grown to accept it and now tries to dive into the jar as soon as I get it out of the fridge and remove the lid.

Unlike Dave, I keep mine in the fridge and it is in a hard state when it is cold, and I use a paring knife to dig a bit out. I put it on top of their food and sometimes it melts atop their food but usually it is gobbled down as a whole chunk.

Both my birds now relish this, and my vet was very happy to see I include it in both my birds' diets.

Keep offering it - just think of how often we all sometimes have to try a food before liking it. I'm sure birdies are the same!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave ,

Is the one you get? http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU269/ItemDetail?n=0

Swanson

$7.49 Item #: SWU269

Availability: Backordered

16 oz (454 grams) Oil

Add To OrderQuantity:

Add to Favorites An all-natural cooking oil loaded with antioxidants

Features concentrations of carotenoids, including beta-carotene and alpha-carotene

Rich in vitamin E

Yep, that's the one. Pictures above show how to melt it down from it's orange gooey, thick consistency to very thin red oil which can be dripped on things or spread on things. It involves using the micro. Very easy. After finishing using it, it's put away and it goes back to it's orange gooey, thick consistency. Yes, it does smell a little but the greys don't seem to mind. Also has Vit E besides Vit A in it. If you have only one bird, that jar will last at least 8mts, possibly a yr.

Don't give up, mine hated it at first, he wouldnt even touch the food it was on, but now he does. It took a few days with him. I mix it in the blender with his veggies and microwave, or it goes on some peanut butter toast. I am going to see if he will eat it of a spoon next...

Yes, don't give up. Keep at it. My two birds despised it - would not go near it - but now they literally start bouncing around their cages as soon as they see me bring the bottle from the fridge. I use a knife and cut a chunk of cold oil from the jar and drop it into their food dishes, and it is consumed immediately. So don't give up - mine were the same way.

And by the way, I don't think it smells all that bad. It's just an unfamiliar scent, but I don't find it unpleasant. ::shrugs:::

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried putting my red palm oil in fridge and cutting him out a piece to see if he would eat it... and he did! So now on days he eats it when it is solid, (it smells less solid) I do not have to smell the cooked smell of it! Yay! And thanks for the idea >^..^<

• Haha 1

I’m just wondering those two sites about red palm oil: http://www.rainforestmkt.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RPOIL

And

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU269/ItemDetail?n=0

those not for birds, but for humans? Or there’s no difference and we can give to birds too ?

I bought red palm oil from http://www.birdsupplies.com/AviGlo-Red-Palm-Oil-from-Avitech-p/apns-aglo.htm my bird loves it a lot. I usually mixing a little bit with pellets and my bird just loves it! I believe daily dose of red palm oil for bird should be about 1/4 teaspoon (according to label on the container)

RudysMom

I bought exactly the same oil like you have, in the same container AviGlo Red Palm Oil 100% certified organic. I believe I paid about $ 17 (with shipping). I bought from http://www.birdsupplies.com/AviGlo-Red-Palm-Oil-from-Avitech-p/apns-aglo.htm on they picture they have different container, but when I received it I realized it’s in different container (like on your picture), but oil itself no difference.

Spinner, thank you for information, yes it’s much cheaper, next time I’ll buy that one. :)

Also I want to ask… I remember few months ago I saw video of my friend African Grey eating Palm Fruit Extract on youtube, and I was looking to buy that Palm Fruit Extract and I could not find here in USA (my friend she lives in Europe) so, instead of Palm Fruit Extract I bought Red Palm Oil. Is that the same thing?

This is my friend video please watch, sorry it’s in Russian but she showing that container and all labels in English, and that Palm Fruit Extract itself looks like Red Palm Oil, is that the same thing?

The oil fruit extract isn't the same thing although both are good for birds. The oil delivers alot of VIT A and VIT E. The palm fruit is just that----Fruit. Palm oil is Palm oil. In the wild, the palm nuts are surrounded by the palm oil which certain species of birds will eat. In it's packaged state, it's hard, not creamy and can be given 2 ways---straight out of the container remaining hard or melted down to it's cherry color. There's before and after pics here showing the color. It's very thin and can be put on many things if the bird doesn't like the hard chunks. The oil smells. Most people don't like the smell. It tastes even worse. By melting it down, what you're doing is tricking the bird in order to eat it. The nuts your friend is giving is more nutritious than the fruit extract. Just ask her to crack another nut and ask her to feel the hardness of the oil as opposed to the softness of the fruit.