NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adopted 8 year old grey!

jshendrix

We added a 3rd grey to our family...His name is Huckleberry! Funny thing, I think it was fate, because I wanted to name one of the other 2 greys Huckleberry, but my wife and daughter picked the names. So my wife was out looking at greys and she came across an 8 yr old male up for adoption...his previous Parronts had named him Huckleberry! My wife was set on buying another baby, but she couldn't resist and we knew it was fate. Huckleberry needed a loving home and that is exactly what he got. Our other 2 greys welcomed him with open wings and after several weeks together, I can report our greys and their parronts couldn't be happier! Like all on this forum, our greys are our life...We rush home from work and they are always happy to see us...Thank you all for letting me share this and our love for our Fids. Huckleberry loves to dance, so as soon as I learn how to upload the video, we will post some of his dancing...he's got some great moves!;)

Edited by jshendrix

Thanks for posting these. I totally enjoyed the photos and video's.

Huckleberry, is well a Huckleberry! :P I really enjoyed reading his story and seeing him in action. Seems to be the life of the party!

Just a word of caution I'm pretty sure you know, even clipped birds should either be harnessed or in a cage when outside. I watched my clipped conure fly away 3 years ago when startled, much to my horror. I did find and retrieve him, but it was a nightmare.

Again, thanks for sharing all these. :)

When I saw these photo's my heart stopped, as Dan said, Please don't take your baby's un caged or without a harness outside. All it would take is a little breeze over your fence for all of them to get lift and be gone... I'm sorry, theres been to many lost Greys with clipped wings this year....Thanks Jayd

Gee, I'm really sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper, Really nice video, Nice breeze, open pool, and a medium bird flying by in the back round, could have been a predator, wasn't, but could have been, nice open pool that a wind caught Grey [or three] could have been blown into...I'm very sorry if you don't like what I'm writing, but maybe you didn't know a clipped Grey, with that much breeze could be scared by another bird flying over and be lost in the open pool. Please forgive me, I mean no malice..Jayd

• Sad 1

JAYD, Your unsolicited, condescending 2nd post was not needed. I didn't ask for your opinion. You have absolutely know idea what you are talking about in regards to my photo... I don't have to justify anything to anyone, however, JAYD, for your ignorance, there is absolutely ZERO wind or BREEZE, there is a cover on the pool and predators? The birds are under a solid patio cover...and predator in the background? Check your eyes...Who the heck are you trying to impress? I think some people feel better about themselves when trying to impress others by speaking about something they know nothing about or don't have any of the facts. Can it be dangerous to have your bird outside? Absolutely, but I'm not worried about my birds ending up over the fence...my neighbors don't have dogs or anything that could hurt them, but I don't take my birds outside if there is ANY breeze anyways. I take the necessary precautions to keep them safe as I would my with my children and grand children. In fact, our greys are our children now...

Comments like yours is the main reason why I really don't care to ever post anything in any forum...there is always someone that feels compelled to provide their opinion...You don't want to be a party poop...then shut your mouth. If I wanted your opinion I would have asked for it....I had a lot of respect for you up until now...you have always provided insightful advice to people who were asking...I wasn't asking. Maybe you figured you were helping others. I don't know, but you 2nd post really pissed me off! I don't have thin skin I just have zero tolerance for your pompous attitude.

If it offends people that I take my birds outside unharnessed, too bad. But I certainly will not sit back while someone takes cheap shots at me when I post a photo and video for my friends and family to see who live out of state. My only apologies are to them and for having to witness me write this post in response to you. This is a public forum and everyone has a right to their opiionion, but give me a break, some people need to get off of theri high-horse and drop the self-righteous attitude that is so common in many forums. Not everything needs to be criticized or turned into a debate, but then again, I guess it helps some peoples egos and feeling of acceptance.

I have raised birds as pets and as breeders for over 25 years, but one thing I always remember and I think JAYD has no clue about, and that is humility and knowing when and when not to open your trap. How about the people that allow their birds to fly free...Inside or outside...well, I have my opinions on that, but that is a whole other debate...and this thread is not the place for any of it.

Maybe I made the mistake of posting in the wrong place and that would be my mistake, but I never said I was a computer or forum person.

I think I have said enough...

Well, one last thing, I do have the luckiest birds around...but I also feel that I am the luckiest Parront around because I have 3 of the best greys out there! I'm kidding, there are no bad greys out there, they are all the best!

Jshendrix- I don't think Jayd was trying to offend you. He's a very knowledgeable bird owner and he was trying to be of help. A lot of people do not realize the dangers of having clipped birds outside unharnessed. I think Jayd wanted to make you aware of the dangers, in case you didn't know. If you understand the dangers and choose to do so anyway, then that's your choice. Please take all the cautions as if you were free flying your bird; and even more so, as your birds probably do not have much flight experience. All of us here are grey lovers and we'd hate for you to lose one of your precious birds. No one's out to get you and we are glad you have shared your greys with us; they're all gorgeous and look to be very happy birds!

JAYD, Your unsolicited, condescending 2nd post was not needed. I didn't ask for your opinion. You have absolutely know idea what you are talking about in regards to my photo... I don't have to justify anything to anyone, however, JAYD, for your ignorance, there is absolutely ZERO wind or BREEZE, there is a cover on the pool and predators? The birds are under a solid patio cover...and predator in the background? Check your eyes...Who the heck are you trying to impress? I think some people feel better about themselves when trying to impress others by speaking about something they know nothing about or don't have any of the facts. Can it be dangerous to have your bird outside? Absolutely, but I'm not worried about my birds ending up over the fence...my neighbors don't have dogs or anything that could hurt them, but I don't take my birds outside if there is ANY breeze anyways. I take the necessary precautions to keep them safe as I would my with my children and grand children. In fact, our greys are our children now...

Comments like yours is the main reason why I really don't care to ever post anything in any forum...there is always someone that feels compelled to provide their opinion...You don't want to be a party poop...then shut your mouth. If I wanted your opinion I would have asked for it....I had a lot of respect for you up until now...you have always provided insightful advice to people who were asking...I wasn't asking. Maybe you figured you were helping others. I don't know, but you 2nd post really pissed me off! I don't have thin skin I just have zero tolerance for your pompous attitude.

If it offends people that I take my birds outside unharnessed, too bad. But I certainly will not sit back while someone takes cheap shots at me when I post a photo and video for my friends and family to see who live out of state. My only apologies are to them and for having to witness me write this post in response to you. This is a public forum and everyone has a right to their opiionion, but give me a break, some people need to get off of theri high-horse and drop the self-righteous attitude that is so common in many forums. Not everything needs to be criticized or turned into a debate, but then again, I guess it helps some peoples egos and feeling of acceptance.

I have raised birds as pets and as breeders for over 25 years, but one thing I always remember and I think JAYD has no clue about, and that is humility and knowing when and when not to open your trap. How about the people that allow their birds to fly free...Inside or outside...well, I have my opinions on that, but that is a whole other debate...and this thread is not the place for any of it.

Maybe I made the mistake of posting in the wrong place and that would be my mistake, but I never said I was a computer or forum person.

I think I have said enough...

Well, one last thing, I do have the luckiest birds around...but I also feel that I am the luckiest Parront around because I have 3 of the best greys out there! I'm kidding, there are no bad greys out there, they are all the best!

Sorry, My mistake. In your video, you can see the palm leaves blowing, and I never said there was a Predator....Please, always feel welcome to post any feelings you might have, and whether I agree or not, I will respect it... I'm sorry you don't like the way I try to get a point across, I just wish people would read them for what they say and not try to find other meanings. I wish the best to you and yours....All our birds are free flying in our home, not outside, we have carry-all's and harnesses for that... Jayd

Jshendrix:

Your post regarding Jayd's comment was uncalled for. I agree wholeheartedly with what he wrote. My heart went in my throat when I saw the photo of your 3 beautiful birds outside like that. We have been on this forum for so long, and we have experienced the heart wrenching that goes on time and time again from members distraught over losing their "clipped" birds because they are ignorant to the fact that a "clipped" bird can get swept up in a breeze especially when startled. Just refer back to Dan's post.

If you had clearly stated in the beginning that they were in an enclosed area, perhaps our hearts would have stopped beating in our throats. We had no way of knowing that they were safely outside........Please see it from an outsiders position not knowing the full story as you left out a few details....no hard feelings please, just understanding. :) We LOVE all the birds here on the forum and want nothing but the best for them.

The pictures are beautiful by the way. 3 Lovely birds, you are lucky and blessed.

Oops, after reading this yet again, I'm not sure they are in a covered patio where they can fly if their instincts kick in......if they are not, then I second what Jayd said even more......just MY opinion tho, after all, they are YOUR birds. I hope and pray they are as safe as possible. After all, that YOUR job as their loving PARRONT. :)

I can assure everyone the birds are safe.

JAYD, no offense taken, you have always been a respected member of this forum and someone I have always looked to for answers to questions I may have had. I always try to avoid conflict and I didn't appreciate the comments in your second post and would have much rather appreciated a private message. One can never have too much humility and I always keep in mind I can learn from others.

I may have read your comments and taken them personal, but I felt it was an attack on my love and care for my greys...as I stated before, they are our children and their safety is always my concern, but like my greys, we enjoy being outside and that SOMETIMES means they get to come out of their cage...especially for a photo shoot! And yes, they are under a solid, covered patio.

GREYS RULE!

Edited by jshendrix

Hi Jshendrix, You have great looking CAGs. Are the wings clipped of the three Stooges? :)

Yes, right now, their wings have been clipped too short...not by me though. We battled a split chest for awhile because one of our greys was not able to glide to the ground. I am not trying to start another debate on clipped wings...I take my birds outside on occassion, I have ceiling fans and sometimes kids running in and out of the doors...a flighted bird would not work in our household.

Jshendrix:

Your post regarding Jayd's comment was uncalled for. I agree wholeheartedly with what he wrote. My heart went in my throat when I saw the photo of your 3 beautiful birds outside like that. We have been on this forum for so long, and we have experienced the heart wrenching that goes on time and time again from members distraught over losing their "clipped" birds because they are ignorant to the fact that a "clipped" bird can get swept up in a breeze especially when startled. Just refer back to Dan's post.

If you had clearly stated in the beginning that they were in an enclosed area, perhaps our hearts would have stopped beating in our throats. We had no way of knowing that they were safely outside........Please see it from an outsiders position not knowing the full story as you left out a few details....no hard feelings please, just understanding. :) We LOVE all the birds here on the forum and want nothing but the best for them.

The pictures are beautiful by the way. 3 Lovely birds, you are lucky and blessed.

Talon, then perhaps, one should ask before commenting in such a fashion...I don't feel I have to provide all the facts when I am posting a photo for my friends and family. No offense, but my opinion.

Thank you for the kind compliments of our greys...every grey owner is blessed. We have given our 8 year old male a beautiful home and a loving environment. In a short time, this abused grey who use to bite and shy away from people, has become a wonderful companion. We have a ways to go, but he is truly a happy grey and has adjusted to his new home.

Thanks to everyone for their compliments.

And yes, they are under a solid, covered patio.[/i]

Question? Is your patio enclosed or just covered? If it's not enclosed, they are in great danger. You are not the first person I have said this to, and I'm sure not the last. My comments weren't against you, just a heads up.. I'm sorry, I have to stand by the statements I made, this is a open forum, if said in private, it wouldn't benefit our members. What has been said, is said, I'm glad you let me know how you feel about me, but please reconsider taking you fid's outside un-harnessed or un-caged, a photo isn't worth it....humility has nothing to do with my sincere concern. There's no question in my your a Grey't parront. Jayd