NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Threads Going Off Topic

CeasarsDad

Hi everyone. In the interest of keeping the site well organized and informative.. as well as fun.. we would like to try to keep Threads on topic..

When you address a new topic try to remember this.. If a topic makes you think of a new subject by all means start a new thread.. OK everyone?

We certainly don't want ANYONE to become offended if some of the posts they took the time and care to write are deleted and moved.. OK. This is why we are bringing this up to you. All moderators and admins were in a conference call on Saturday.. It was decided that the attempt to keep threads on topic would only benefit you, the greyforum members.. We hope you agree..

The original intent of this post is to keep you mindful of trying to keep threads on topic.. Nothing more and nothing less. No one is saying that every post that strays off topic will be deleted.. Do you actually think we would do that.. I think NOT.. So with this in mind I am simply making this post an announcement...<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/08/20 13:52

This is not about stoping the flow of conversation it is about making things easy to find for us and new members.

Example Im pretty sure the subject of QTing birds was mentioned somewhere but it was in one of those post about got a new bird somewhere.

Or say my post about eggs I do believe that one got way off track and not if you want to find that great post about how to do it in 2 second a new person well have to swim threw the rest of the post to find it.

There are many other examples out there but being the smart person you are (you got to be to know so much about your baby Vasa) I am sure you can figure out the need to stay on topic.

You can do a cut/paste if you have something off topic to say about a comment someone else made to keep the flow working right.

Thank you for your concerns but I think once people start staying in topic deleting wont ever be an issue.

I understand.

My take on the intent of CDs post here is an FYI to people so they are not shocked if posts are moved or deleted. This is not an all or nothing situation, surely we all want people to have fun here and encourage the use of this forum to do just that. The information/communication exchange of valuable info happens through posting, we understand that. However, we do have a responsibility to try and maintain the site with some level of order so that it is useful to current and future members. The resources of the site are not limitless and we want to do our best to keep things organized. Threads that go on and on off topic are fun as they happen, but the future value is limited and difficult to sift through if/when members want to search for info. We will not be perfect, and people may get offended from time to time, but please do not take it personally. Our intent here is to make the site BETTER for all. In pursuit of that goal, some people may not always agree with the actions taken. Just keep in mind the goal and realize that posts are not being moved or ultimately cleaned up/deleted for any personal reasons.

Thanks everyone, and please keep posting/discussing/sharing and having fun!!B) :P;) Thats what this is really all about. :laugh:

It is a conversation but it still needs to stay on topic so valuable info does not get lost is the side track chatting. We can have all kinds of that in the off topic forum but need to keep it on subject in the others even more so as we get bigger and bigger.

It makes our job as mods and adminstaters so much easier this way.

I can see how Threads divert from the topic, it only warrants one non related remark to be posted then the thread starts to escalate away from the original subject.

I joined to share my passion of my greys with you,learn & experience new things with you all,i didnt join to debate the rights & wrongs on threads & posts.

I have edited my post as i do not want to be caught up in the middle of this, i think we should all take onboard what has been asked & get back to enjoying the forum ;)

Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2007/08/20 00:43<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2007/08/20 00:53

The Egg thread was fine and was placed in the correct room "Off Topic" Discussions..

That is the correct room for random chatter :-)

If it gets too far off, I'll let you know. ;-)

I think for the most part. Everyone here understands the need to stay on Topic as possible. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/08/19 23:24

Going slightly off topic is not a bad thing but to completely derail a topic is just not going to work anymore with our growing numbers. We need to reign it in and this is the only way we can do it.

I think once everyone understands the need to stay in topic well ger more threads which is good and we won't have to do to much deleting if any.

However I must say Im on several larger forums and this is pretty much how they handle the post to keep the forums running smoothly and making them easy for everyone to find what they need.

I think everyone has said it all already, some kind of balance has to be achieved here or this site will suffer. And no one wants their post removed or deleted but if it comes to that, then it does.

Celery, I wish you would not take offense to this new directive of ours, we are only doing what we think is best for the site. You have been a valuable member here and I and the rest of us would hate to see you leave but it changes nothing. I for one should be the one to be offended as I am guilty of going off topic more times than I can remember and I also am fond of one or two line posts that are funny to me.

But in the interest of this site with all the new members lately this is getting more out of control. Threads get so long that the information in them gets lost in all the extra baggage it picks up. We want a site that is helpful for anyone with a grey to be able to come to and get information easily and quickly, but we also love to chat and have a little fun in the process. Striking that balance is what we are after and if we step on a few toes then we are truly sorry for that but the health of the site comes first.

I don't know where to place this, so I'll do it here in the 'off-topics' thread.

Please note that I have received a huge amount of PMs. This message serves to apologize to all of you for not being able to answer them all.

Thank you for contacting me and I hope you all can understand it's impossible to answer so many PMs :)