But my memories are clear,

Of the gentle hand that soothed the pain

From the hand I’d learned to fear.

I’m tired now, really very tired,

Many years my life has spanned,

So I close my eyes for one last time,

Safe and warm in the human hand.

Anne.M.Kenyon

Is anyone on here fluent in Spanish? If so, might you translate this into Spanish? There's a door I'd like to leave this on, but they only speak Spanish in that household.

Thanks much.

• 1 year later...

When I read this poem originally, I had no idea at the time that life with my grey would change and I would lose him too. Then along came Gilbert. I have learned so much more since then and this time reading it was more emotional. It is especially touching since it has been mere days since he has learned to relax (sometimes) and permit a moment of soothing touch.

I think it is perfectly normal to fear that your fid will create a bond with someone else, and forget about you. We can't let this keep us from allowing our fids to have healthy relationships, and friendshipd with other loved ones as well though....if that was what you were refering to.

• 2 years later...

You have a great instinct Dan. The first time I read this poem, I had lost Juno but was caring for Kopi. At that time, I could not begin to imagine anything but care, gentleness and response from our two boys. By the time I read it the second time, we had Gilbert and he was still a "he" and I was sure we would be best friends in no time. Now, I have been with Miss Gilbert for three years and have lived and breathed life with a parrot who has feared hands and this time, I really really get it.

• 4 months later...
You have a great instinct Dan. The first time I read this poem, I had lost Juno but was caring for Kopi. At that time, I could not begin to imagine anything but care, gentleness and response from our two boys. By the time I read it the second time, we had Gilbert and he was still a "he" and I was sure we would be best friends in no time. Now, I have been with Miss Gilbert for three years and have lived and breathed life with a parrot who has feared hands and this time, I really really get it.

The Greybies were our first birds but next came Aunalese and Conner, the green-cheeked conures. Auna was then and still is terrified of hands. After three years of love, patience and positive reinforcement she is no closer to stepping up on my hand and probably won't ever be. It doesn't matter. Whatever fears haunt her, whatever trauma she went through, it is long past. I will give her love, and a safe place to call home as long as I am alive and able.

Then comes Jack. I still feel a stab of guilt every time I look at him for my unfounded fear of his lunging. I was just certain he was trying to bite me. When in truth, he was just trying to feel his way in the darkness of his mostly blind sight. He now spends much of his time riding on my shoulder, pooping down my back. And I don't care. He can poop all over me. I just love this little bird. It's hard to believe he is so incredibly sweet and so trusting after the pain and abuse he has suffered. His favorite phrase is "Gimme kiss" followed by the most gentle nudge to my cheek. Here is a moment of his sweetness:

• Haha 1

Aw, isn't that tea sharing with Jack adorable. You came to understand each other with time, courage and patience. I've had a few surprise bites from Miss Gilbert that haven't stopped me from the occasions she tolerates me near, always when she is behind the safety of her bars. It's wrenching to see her tremble and run from me. Slowly, moment by moment, day by day we get a glimpse that fear is subsiding. When she permitted David a touch on her face and beak to remove a strand of cobweb, my hopes are ignited by the reluctant offer of trust. It will come and it will be in grey time.

I pray you will get your 'break-through' moment. It will come with Miss Gilbert. I believe that. Your love and patience will win and who knows what will happen once she gets that 'aha, they aren't going to hurt me! I can TRUST them!' moment? She may become the biggest cuddler ever.

• 6 months later...

My poor TOBY! WHAAAAA! Ok, I'm better now...

Oh this made my heart ache! When I first met Toby at his previous owners home, his sweet little eyes screamed help me! Lord give me the patience to help him heal, the courage to be the mommy he deserves, and the strength not to beat his previous owner into the mud. Amen