NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey's on Mental Disabilities

Partner316

Now I know that animals, but especially birds can tap into our emotions. Which draws out this question. Those owners who suffer from mental disabilities that affect our emotions like depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc. How do our birds cope with are jumps in emotion? Do they realize that we have issues and that is just part of who we are as a flock members? Or do they get freaked out at our every change in emotion?

I can only speak from personal experience. My emotions can change with the wind, but that hasn't seemed to bother anyone. It is only when I am honestly upset that they seem to pick it up. I can be depressed or worried, but it isn't until I'm sad or anxiously paranoid that they seem to start worrying about me.

My eclectus can tell when it is me that is upset and not my disorder and she likes to snuggle and nap with me when I'm down. She also does this when I'm sick.

I'm sure all birds pick it up differently, but this has been my experience so far with mine. I think they probably learn how to read us just like we learn how to read them.

Dave - I meant if us as humans have mental disorders how the birds react lol it was kind of a confusing question with the way I worded it.

Rrrma - my grey seems to quite easily pick up on the emotions I'm feeling but each time he reacts differently to them. One day he'll want to be close to me to make me feel better (I think lol) other days he wants nothing to do with me when I'm Moody. It is somewhat odd. I sit and observe as many birds as possible when I get the opportunity and it amazes me how differently each act in similar situations.

Grey's are very empathetical, after a while, the person they bond with, I believe they 'Get In-tune" with also, and share emotions and express concerns about the other......Jayd ....Note:No scientific proof, But I've experienced it myself.....

Edited by Jayd

I have been under treatment for generalized anxiety disorder for some time. It's pretty well controlled now, so I can't say much about how the birds react to that. I know they do react to my energy, and I can handle them a lot more successfully when my energy is calm and happy. We have a bird room with 6 birds in residence there, so they also play off of each other's moods, so that kind of complicates the issue. Moussa's (my grey) cage is in the living area. I haven't had him long enough to really learn how he will react to moods, emotions, and so forth. I am going to be interested to see how that goes.

I will say that the presence of the birds in my life has been very healing for me. I know how I react to them, and they bring so much life and energy into the house. They make me laugh out loud just about every day. And taking care of them and looking out for them gives me something much better to occupy my mind than myself and my worries.

The grey know so well if others are not normal.

I wished I wrote more that time when Tinkerbell and I was at this very special school.

Tink was so gentle with all of them, almost as if she had compassion.

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9/1aspecialschool.htm'>http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9/1aspecialschool.htm

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9/tinkspschool2.htm

31094898_0452fc0c35_z.jpg

Warmest regards

Shanlung

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9

Animals and birds included are very in tune with our feelings and moods. I have seen horses working with the riding for the disabled being so calm and patiant with disabled riders becomeng totally different animals when abled bodied people ride them.I have also noticed Charlie reacting to my moods.

Alfie was very concerned when I came out of hospital after a foot op - she stuck to me like glue while I was laid up. At the other end of the scale, if I'm upset about something, she's come up close as if "aw - are you ok??" then NIP!! Charming! I do think unquestionably they pick up on our feelings, but I don't think they take it to heart and let the emotions over come them.