NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My First African Grey (Sunny)

tbird

Hi everyone I have a few questions and I will post them as I go along. I picked up my baby (Sunny) in Florida what a great bird. I have noticed that Sunny has a mild chip (fade) in front of his beak and Iknow that his beak should be solid black. Is this a form of him sheading or he is growing? Do I have to be concerened?

Hi everyone I have a few questions and I will post them as I go along. I picked up my baby (Sunny) in Florida what a great bird. I have noticed that Sunny has a mild chip (fade) in front of his beak and Iknow that his beak should be solid black. Is this a form of him sheading or he is growing? Do I have to be concerened?

Welcome, How old is Sunny? A young Grey's beak is shiny black as he gets older, starting under a yer old his beaker turns powdery, and looks at times ragged The beaker is like our fingernails, constantly growing, plus they clean and scrape it on whats ever avaiable, perches, cage, you, etc...No worry, Photo's, we love Photo's and questions....Jayd

Hello Tbird and welcome to our family, I look forward to hearing more about you and Sunny.

How old is Sunny? Usually when they are young their beaks are more black but then as they get older it sort of looks powdery and scratched, you will see your grey wipe it's beak on lots of things, some rough and some smooth and even you for the beak is constantly growing and it flakes off from time to time. If you would be so kind to post a couple of pics of your bird's beak so we can see what you are talking about but I suspect it is nothing to worry about.

Sunny is six months old and Yes he does wipe his beak on a lot of things. What is more shaded and looks like it is peeling it's on the middle of his beak. Should I be concern? He is currently on seed diet I hear alot about pellet diet and I am not sure. Only because my sister has her bird on seed for over 10 years and the bird is very healthy. I will post picture as soon as I learn how. Thanks for all your help :)

He really needs to be on a better diet as seed only is not very healthy for an african grey, you should try giving him some fresh veggies, raw or cooked and see if he will eat them, he may not at first but keep trying for sometimes they will eventually try them and who knows he may even like them. You can look in our bird food room for threads that have lists of what they can have and not have. He could benefit from having some legumes, nuts, rices and pasta in his diet also and occasionally some fruit, they usually will eat the fruit but they should have more veggies in proportion to fruits.

The addition of pellets would greatly enhance his nutritional needs and you can try different brands to find one he will eat, if he will eat the Harrison's High Potency kind that would be great as it is one of the most recommended.

We might be able to tell about the beak if we could see a picture.