NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New baby biting Please Help!

ThaJuicyJuice

Hello all!

I just brought home my new Baby African Grey(18weeks) and was so excited to go and pick it up. At the breeders it started to bite me, the day I picked it up, which was different than the other visits. This was shocking, so I was nervous to touch at first. This, of course, didn't cause better reactions from the bird. Once I brought it home and allowed the baby to adjust for a couple hours, I began handling. The biting persisted. Over the course of the night, it became more comfortable and allowed me to pet the back of the neck. This seemed like quite an accomplishment.

It has been 5 days since I brought it home, but the bird continues to bite. I have resulted in not showing any reaction to the bite, which worked at first. The bites have become harder and drawing blood. I haven't punished the bird in anyway, and am still able to perch and pet the neck. Nonetheless, it will just reach out and bite. I and pretty convinced it is a trust issue and I need to build a bonding relationship; however, my trainer told me that the first couple weeks are precious, and that it will learn the behaviors that work in its new environment during this time. The articles on this site say that it takes a few weeks to build a trusting relationship. So I am stuck in a rut. Should I just accept the biting and deal with it in a non-confrontational way, or should I be more reactive and put the bird back in its cage when it bites.

Please help with any advice you may have and we will be very thankful.

""""Once I brought it home and allowed the baby to adjust for a couple hours, I began handling. """"

You need to let a new bird settle in without all of the physical contact. The bird needs alot more time than 5 hrs to feel comfortabe. The bird has to get used to you, the family, the surroundings, the daily visible habits, the atmosphere and also the cage. All of this takes different amounts of time. It could be 2 weeks on up. All birds take to things differently so their time line is different. The cage will be it's permanent home and right now, it feels safest where it can observe all types of things. The general personality of a bird at a breeder's house is different. Your bird is now in a new home. The breeder had the bird for a while but that time didn't include biting because the bird was extremely young and the bird was familar with that place plus other birds being around.

Take it very slow at the beginning until your bird shows interest and curiousity beyond that cage.

Welcome and welcome to your new baby....Time, there is no limit to how long it takes to work with a Grey, their a learning machine, and they can change from day to day. Quote:deal with it in a non-confrontational way,"Start your desired training, set your goals and work with him, he's testing you, suggestion, when he bites, say "no" calmly, walk away, walk back, do something like " Hi Baby, I love you' and touch him again...." Keep reading, your on a good start......

I have not had Diego long, although he is an Amazon and not an African Grey. The first week of having him, I just sat next to his cage or where he was perched and talked to him. About silly things really, like I was thinking out loud. After the first week I think he was curious to who this crazy woman was who did not stop talking and he made the first move and came and said hello. During the second week I still did not put my hand towards him for a scratch as I could see that he still was not comfortable with it, so I did some target training with him. This built up a lot of confidence in both myself and Diego and he soon started showing me signs that he wanted me to be more tactile. He would come towards me with his head down and his head feathers fluffed up and fluttering his eyelids.

I also have a certain signal for him where I wiggle my fingers and say scratch when I am moving my hand in to scratch his head. Now when he sees me doing this hand signal is not worried about what is going to happen to him. A parrot who has a hand moving towards them deliberately does not understand what is about to happen, especially if it is from a new person. He could be thinking your going to grab him, however with a signal he knows what to expect.

Everything I do with Diego, the final decision is made by him. I leave it until he shows me he is ready for more, this way he knows that I respect his space and so gives him a lot more confidence in me. It will take time, but be patient and it will be well worth it! Also treat all the good behaviour he gives you, it may seem small to you but to him it could be a really big deal so feels great that you have rewarded him for it. :)

Thanks folks for the comments. It has been a life long dream to get a grey, and it's been disappointing how much a struggle the beginning days have been; however, I believe patience is the key. I have taken a step back and things are progressing quite well. Can anyone share how long it took for their Grey to warm up to them? Any stories, or wisdom for a new enthusiast?

I consider myself very fortunate, my grey, Ana Grey and I are very close, we have been from the very beginning. Ana Grey's breeder is a fantastic person who socialized her babies from the get go. She told me that Ana Grey would be scared and looking to fit in and that I should cuddle her and love her as it was what she (the breeder) had done with her since taking her from her parents. She also told me that young greys test everything with their beaks as they are like their hands so to never assume that my new grey was trying to bite me but rather to "test" my finger/arm as a perch and I should relax and not pull away or think that her "beaking" me was a bad thing. I have always done what Ana Grey's breeder suggested and just relaxed and enjoyed having my new baby grey with me. We learned together just like everyone does in any new relationship, you have to go with your gut feelings and just enjoy the ride. If Ana Grey does anything I don't like I just say so, a firm "no bites" (yelling is not something that you need to do, just be firm of voice) I also talk to Ana Grey all the time and I believe she tries very hard to understand what I am saying (she will tilt her head and look at me with such concentration). Give yourself som time to understand your new baby and let her learn to understand you. Relax and enjoy.

Thanks folks for the comments. It has been a life long dream to get a grey, and it's been disappointing how much a struggle the beginning days have been; however, I believe patience is the key. I have taken a step back and things are progressing quite well. Can anyone share how long it took for their Grey to warm up to them? Any stories, or wisdom for a new enthusiast?

Try reading this thread in this forum

Understanding the mentality of your grey

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190599-Understanding-the-mentality-of-your-grey

And take a look here

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9/

Warmest regards

Shanlung

山 龍