NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Onoins for those wondering about cooked vs raw

tarm

I know people have asked a number of times on here about onions and some have hinted or thought that cooked is or maybe OK. Here is a summary I happened to save and found recently:

ONION:

Studies done indicate onions can be toxic to animals. Onion toxicity can cause a Heinz body anemia. Heinz bodies are small bubble-like projections protruding from a red blood cell. The "bubble" causes a weak spot in the red blood cell so the cell has a decreased life-span and ruptures prematurely. If numerous red cells are affected and rupture, anemia can result. Apparently, the toxic effect of onions are the same whether the onion is raw, cooked or dehydrated. The hemolytic (anemic) episode usually occurs several days after onion ingestion. Daily feeding of onions could have a cumulative effect due to ongoing formation of Heinz bodies versus a situation where there is only a single exposure with a wide gap until the next exposure allowing the bone marrow time to regenerate the prematurely destroyed red cells. It was observed by vets that cats being regularly fed food containing onion were noted within a week or two to be developing Heinz body anemia. The toxicity is dose dependent, so the bigger the animal, the more onion needs to be consumed to cause a toxicity. Therefore, a much smaller animal (such as a sugar glider) would not need much of an onion dose in order to possibly develop Heinz Body Anemia. This is why onion is not recommended for sugar gliders or for that matter dogs & cats.

Edited by tarm

I assume this would be if you gave them excessive amounts and it has never been really documented with birds. Red blood cells in birds contain a nucleus which could offer some protection against cell rupturing. Cats and dogs don't have this nucleus. Again no conclusive studies have been done.

Both of ours have cooked onion if for example we are having spaghetti bolognaise. I wouldn't stand there and try and pick out every piece and always think that small amounts in food once and awhile would be ok.

Edited by Jane08

Both of ours have cooked onion if for example we are having spaghetti bolognaise. I wouldn't stand there and try and pick out every piece and always think that small amounts in food once and awhile would be ok.

Yes..true....

Better safe then sorry....

Onions, Garlic & Birds

Learn about the characteristics of these two foods that make them potentially dangerous for birds

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-nutrition/birds-onions-and-garlic.aspx

By Margaret A. Wissman, DVM, DABVP, Avian Practice

http://www.tarafoundation.com/birdcare.html

What I was wanting to point out was the fact that some felt cooked was somehow better or different in its effect on removal of toxins. This says cooked or raw have the toxins. SO its either OK or its not as a whole according to this.

Good post about onions. If Alfie ever wants to share my bolognese or anything else with onion in it, I absolutely do pick the onion out before she gets it. As Jayd says, better safe than sorry. Alfie is just too precious to me to take a chance. Every bird is different, and what might be acceptable to one may not be to another and how can we possibly know what the tolerance level is?

Good article Tarn, thank you.

It is unknown at this time IF it affects parrots. It has been proven to affect dogs and cats.

I do not let Dayo have uncooked or cooked onions or garlic at all.

It is stated in a few articles that birds have nucleated red blood cells, and mammals do not, it is thought that this somewhat protects them from the affects of Heinz body hemolysis. However, there was one member on this forum that had a grey eat a raw garlic clove. It died the next day unfortunately. Garlic contains the same active chemicals as Onions, I Quote "sulfur compounds that, when chewed, are hydrolyzed to thisulfinates. Thiosulfinates decompose to a number of disulfides, including dipropenyl disulfide (or n-propyl disulfide), which appears to be the most toxic disulfide. These disulfides are oxidizing agents that can cause hemolysis or a rupture of red blood cells."

Its so hard to know with some of these things if you try to go by personal or referenced experience. Even take chocolate a well known toxin. I had a small cocker spaniel that over his life time must have eaten 10lb + of it. At one time he went thru a 5lb box of godiva chocolate that my grandma had gotten for X-mas and left on the end table. Went thru it before we knew it. He did not even get diarrhea from it. Lived to he was 17. He should have been dead. Yet another dog and big rottie eat maybe 1/2 of lb M&M and was dead the next day. Two different owners tow very different views as to how toxic something is or isn't based on their personal experience ( of course I know better).