My Baby Flew Away - Dying

Elvenking

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You my friend are one of the strongest willed people Maggie and I know, you will succeed, close you eyes and relax for a second, think of all the prays and good thoughts being directed towards you and you task, all these good people concentrating on a happy out come...Your one of the most responsible parrot owners we know....

I was with my daughter at home and I was about to put burgers on the grill. I hadn't noticed that he had landed on my shoulder because he is so welcome there and I am used to it. So I ended up passing through the door with him there. He jumped off and flew further and faster than I had ever seen him fly. I can't forgive myself for doing that. But thanks for the kind words. I am off again to see if I can relocate him. It is hard to be home, it's like the life has been sucked out of my home. It makes me cry. I am trying so hard to find him.

Shanlung you made an important point about the difficulty of flying down:

The main point is that when our fids fly up a tree or up the rafter and we want to get them down, we stood directly below thinking that it is easier for them as we are nearer. <snip>But if we want to make it easier for them to get to us, it may be better to stay further away so the angle for them should not be greater than 45 degree to induce them to glide down to us instead.

I tried both near and far...and when he was soaring through the air...I got to a point where he was flying straight in front of me from a distance...I thought for sure he would come to me in the middle of the road with my hand up high. It is hard to say what his thoughts must be. When he was in the tree, he was making his sounds at me...wolf whistles....kisses. Like not a care in the world was with him. He was fed last at 5:30 last night, I imagine he should be pretty hungry soon.

Damnit...I just saw him flying around my apartments. Going to see where he went. I was sitting here at the computer when I heard his contact call.

What are you doing sitting at the computer when you should be out looking for Issac, we will be ok while you are chasing him down, the next thing I want to hear from you is you have him in your hands so go get him.

For some reason, he is flying so high and large circles, covering distance I have never seen him cover...doing his contact call. I could not believe I heard his call from my apartment, ran outside and saw him circling. I was calling back, and he was calling. I walked up to the trees where he looked like he went, no dice yet...so I am going to patrol the neighborhood again calling out to him. I wish he would see his cage, or slow down and jump from rooftops. He's flying wild when he gets going.

Well obviously he knows very good and well where home is and he knows where you are. It sounds like its just a matter of time for when he gets hungry and thirsty enough to come in. He may find water but food he is going to need you for that. Unless you have other birds I would be leaving my doors open. His cage outside with food in it what ever he likes the most. But you have got to be 100% vigil about watching all of it. The last thing you want is him to be abe to come in for a drink and food and be off again.

Only a suggestion, put one of his brightly colored favorite toys on his cage. If you have any of his feathers, bunch them together and place or hold them where he might see them....Remember, Grey's also see in the UV................

Is your balcony high? If so, next time your hear him, go to your balcony and contact call him hopefully while your in a position he can see you. He may just be able to get to your balcony a little easier if it's up high.

He is certainly aware it seems, that he is close to home and staying there calling and flying in desparation, just as you are. He must come down soon somewhere to get water. He can last much longer without food than water.

Still praying for a quick and safe return.

Did the grill fire spook him in the first place? If it did is it still where he can see & smell it if he's thinking about coming home?

Do you know of any other parrots in the surrounding area? They can hear each other from a good distance away.

Also, do you know if anyone inside his circle of flight has bird feeders, fruit trees or a veggie garden? He's sounding pretty perky.

Okay...to address all these at once. I have been out all day with a few breaks trying to get my baby to come to me. My balcony is high, and while he was flying around overhead, I was yelling out to him, his cage right next to me. "C'mere boy, wanna eat?" whistleing, drawing his attention. I just got back again from climbing the hill with the trees he is perching on, driving down to the houses where I hear him. Last time I was close to him, he is just doing his noises and occasionally answering my call. The trees are kind of dense. I lost his position again when I moved to try to get sight of him, he is very hard to spot. He's on craigslist, he's on the parrot 911 site, all the people in the houses up where he is hanging out at know I am looking for him. I am doing my very best. About to walk the hill line again to look for him. I am so sad for him, I really don't care what happens, I just want him to be okay.

The grill didn't spook him, I think simply passing through the doorway and seeing that he was outside set him off somehow. I keep posting to see if there is something that I am not doing, but I am doing all that you all say.

Edited by Elvenking

Stephen, let's end this before it starts...YOU DID NOTHING WRONG! This just shows that Issac coming back to you means you did everything right.

Jay and Maggie

(P.S. Maggie kept saying that Issac would be found...she just had a feeling...LOL)

How very happy, I am for both of you. Now details Stephen. Please let us know exactly how it happened so we can all learn from this. How did he finally come to you as it is very obvious that he wanted to come home as much has you wanted him home!!!!

I will do that in the morning after I have spent a lovely evening with my bird. I am too emotional right now.

Oh!!! I am so relieved & happy for you & Issac!! I bawled when I read the post about him flying away & again when you got him back!!! What a wonderful bond you two have. I will rest well tonight knowing Issac is safe & sound, and I'm sure you will sleep like a rock after the adrenaline rush goes away. ( If your anything like me, you will probably be going & looking in his cage every few hours- just to prove to yourself that he really IS BACK!! ) :)