NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why and What can be done to help Dorian stop plucking???

Kevin

I am writing for some help and advice on how to stop Dorian from plucking his feathers. I first believed he was molting, which he was. He turned one in mid December and his molt started in late January. It is now July and he looks the worst I have ever seen him. He is a flighted guy and has not touched his wings, however, his chest and back have bare spots now. I know that spraying them with Aloe Vera Juice is suppose to reduce the urge to pluck, but when I spray him.... (something he hates) he continues to pull at his feathers when they are wet), so I stopped doing it. I also bought him a cage to place outside under a screened in gazebo for the summer. I did this last summer and he loved it, but he was clipped at the time and I did not have a cage for him. It seemed to me that his plucking got worse when he was outdoors, so I discontinued his outings. When I was inside the gazebo I always let Dorian be out of his cage with me. But, when I left to do yardwork, I caged him. I put plenty of toys and interesting items in his cage and he seemed to enjoy being there. He whistled, talked and carried on mimicking all the new sounds he heard. He appeared scared and frightened by the outdoor sounds of summer....ie..lawnmowers, leafblowers, chain saws. I never had him outside when I was not visible to him and when I heard these sounds I brought him inside. But, the plucking has not ceased and I am very concerned as to what steps I should be taking. It is important to understand that the plucking did not start when he went outdoors, as it had started back in the early spring. At that time I thought it was just part of his molting process. I am taking him to the Vet next week to have him looked at. Perhaps there is a defiency of some mineral or vitamin in his diet. What test or tests should be performed on him to detect if there is something lacking in his diet? Is there anything else I should be doing to help him stop plucking? I can't help but think that this is my fault and that I must be doing something wrong. He spends a lot of time out of his cage daily and is not clipped, because I read that greys that are unclipped seldom become pluckers. Also, because I believe that birds should fly. I know this is lengthy, and I thank you for reading it. I am embarassed to write this, but I know that I will get excellent advice and should have written sooner, but felt that I would look like a bad parrot owner in the eyes of those I admire. I have decided to take the risk, as Dorian's well being is much more important than my being concerned of what some of you may think of me. And, perhaps I am doing something wrong, but please be aware that I love my bird and want to help him.

If there are no underlying medical reasons , and obviously you do give enough life enhancement to Dorian in that he is allowed to be flighted, it might be the food.

I just wrote on Tui that people with pluckers and who changed to Tinkerbell Mash or Mike Manna Mash found the plucking stopped.

See how Tink Mash is made and perhaps you might like to try this too.

Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/109957.html

Warmest regards

Shanlung

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9/

Kevin, I don't have the expertise to be of much real help to you with this difficult and frustrating problem. But I felt the pain in your "voice" and wanted to respond. Don't fear being judged here. These problems can happen to the most loving of parrot owners. We have been charged with the care of such complex and sometimes mysterious creatures! It is clear from your post that you love Dorian and try to do what's best for him. That's what matters most to the people here. I'm sure you will get some good advice and support from those here whom I have come to view as mentors. Know that everyone here is acting from a spirit of good will; if they come across a little harsh at times, it's only because they are so passionate about the birds and their welfare. Never be afraid to ask a question or seek help. Here's a hug: <<< >>>

This is tough for you and Dorian. Plucking is such a difficult issue, that even vets have a hard time finding the root of the problem. Hopefully between all that you do for Dorian and with the vet visit you will get some answers or possibilities to try and narrow it down. It could be diet, such as an allergy developing to nuts, wheat or other underlying issues blood tests and a scrape of the affected areas to rule out a skin infection.

Please keep us updated on the outcome of the visit. Everyone hear is pulling for you and Dorian.

Hello again. Quote: when I spray him.... (something he hates) he continues to pull at his feathers when they are wet un-quote. This could be normal preening, most birds do this after bathing. Your Vet visit is grey't. Your doing nothing wrong!!!!!I can only praise you, your a good Parront. Keep doing what your doing, I wish you all the best, Prays to you and yours....

I'm going through the exact same problem with my grey too, Kevin. I was also embarrassed to post here, too. I thought people would automatically assume I was neglecting my bird. I've been given lots of advice, but without a vet visit I don't think either of us will know what the exact problem is. All we can do is keep up the love and care and just hope the answers come soon.

My Pippa is a 14 year old feather plucker, and I have no idea how long she's been doing it. All we can do is systematically work through the list to eliminate possible causes, and try our damdest to not reinforce it. Sounds like you're doing all the right things and I hope you'll find the key to it soon. Keep reading, keep listening, you never know where the crucial bit of information will come from.

Thank you all for your non judgmental and sincere advice. I will take it all to heart and I will let you know what the veterinarian's take on this is. Your kind words and great advice has helped me tremendously. After reading about 11 kings poor little guy, this puts things into perspective for me. I am so grateful that he is home safely now. Looking at Dorian now, I wouldn't mind if he was completely featherless, as long as he was safe, happy and healthy and home where he belongs.