NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Safe Cookware

Jayd

This is from a ad! and Facebook.

Cuisinart Green Gourmet Nonstick Fry Pan with Lid, Stainless Steel

Completely free of PTFE and PFOA, this eco-friendly nonstick pan heats quickly and efficiently and may be used on all types of cooktops, including induction.

* Two-ply construction sandwiches a heat-responsive aluminum core between stainless steel.

* Ceramic-based nonstick interior is completely free of PTFE and PFOA and is made without petroleum.

* Ensures fast, even heating without hot spots.

* Tempered-glass lid.

I just joined this group and am very anxious in becoming acquainted with you all. I wanted to make a quick reply about the type of fry pans out there that are acceptable for our feathered family. The Green Pan that is sold on HSN is also free of that nasty PTFE and PFOA. It was also listed in Bird Talk magazine a few years ago. My husband unfortunately killed my Grey's friend, a Quaker. He left eggs boiling on the stove, and we decided to go out to eat. By the time we got home, we could hardly see in the house. I told him my babies will be dead in the morning. Well, Maggie was, and poor Beemer looked so ragged, and he didn't talk for at least three days. I took him to the vet. He said there really wasn't anything he could do at that point, since he had pulled through. Beemer hasn't been the same since, and that was maybe 5-6 years ago. He feather plucks if I leave him, and still gasps sometime. (he might be imitating me tho as I have asthma) He tells me if he wants to watch cartoons or the Animal Planet. It seems I am the only one he really trusts, and springtime is difficult for him. (or her) There have been no eggs layed and he must be 16-17 years old; I really don't care what sex he is. He is my friend and always will be.

If anyone has a great recipe that is high in Calcium for my friend, please share. Thanks, Beemer'smom

Welcome, sorry about Maggie. Most dark green leafy veggie's are high in calcium, as well as your egg shells as you know. Greys don't asbord calcium as well from foos as most other birds. The best source of calcium is sun light, if you could provide 15 minutes a day of unfiltered sun, you'd see a marked improvement, second to this is full-spectrum indoor lighting, which contains UVB, check out some pet supply"s on the net. Check out "bird food room". You'll find all kinds of grey't recipes!

Jayd, Maggie and Spock and the flock

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?188081-Calcium-Food-or-Sun&highlight=lighting

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?171946-Spock-s-Favorite-Fid-Food/page2

Edited by Jayd

• 1 month later...

I'm so sorry Maggie :(

I use a ceramic type coated pan called Earth Ware. They are sold at Zellers here in Canada. I am not sure if you can get them in the US. The pans are a bit expensive but they are bird safe and relatively non stick.

Just a reminder, don't forget to check out things like bread makers, baking pans, electric grills, hair dryers etc for non stick coating. I had to get rid of a lot of products when I bird proofed my home.

I have some pans with the green coating, and did some heavy research on them and parrots. Part of the reason they may be safer is that they are high heat resistant and do not scratch; the other stuff re PTFE free, is more important during manufacturing.

If scratched, or heated beyond 500 degrees or so, they will still give off toxic fumes.

I have some pans with the green coating, and did some heavy research on them and parrots. Part of the reason they may be safer is that they are high heat resistant and do not scratch; the other stuff re PTFE free, is more important during manufacturing.

If scratched, or heated beyond 500 degrees or so, they will still give off toxic fumes.

Thank you very much, really good assessment......Jayd

We use nothing but cast iron and for large pots SS. I have found nothing that can cook as evenly and as well as a well seasoned cast iron pan. It does weight more but its not like you are flipping flap jacks with it. When they are well seasoned they are almost nonstick. Easy to clean as long as you do not let them sit. Best of all if you buy good quailty Made in the USA such as "Lodge" brand and properly maintain them they will last hundreds of years. No worries of warping or burning one up. But drop one and it can and will break toes feet and depending on the type of floor it too. We also use no aluminum cans etc.. No plastics or Tupperware stuff either. I do not trust for one minute any type of plastics around any heat. I know they say some are safe and do not give off toxins but I have trouble with believing much of anything anymore I am told by these companies. So for us its Cast Iron, Stainless Steel, Glass. We also go so far as paying the extra to get our bottles stuff in glass instead of plastic which can be a PITA as everything moist or liquid comes in plastic containers now. We do can our veggies jams etc each season so no glass jars go to waste.

The hardest thing though was getting rid of the microwave but when you see what it does to the foods heated in it at the molecular level its not worth it. I think if more people read up on microwaves and the dangers less people woudl be using them. What's the point to going to all the trouble of getting organic foods, cooking with nontoxic cookware, only to kill the mirco nutrients in the food along with other things. The destruction of nutrients is far greater than any other kind of conventional cooking methods and that it only part of the negs to using it. But it sure is convenient to heat thing up and fast so fast. But it too is gone and gone for good.

Edited by tarm

I have a few cast Irons pans that are from my great grandmother passed down from my grandmother. They are from the 1800's. Then a few more from my grandmother that recently pasted at the age of 101 healthy living on her own right up till the last two weeks. So I have a number of pieces that are 70 to over 100 years old. They actually cook the best too HaHa. We just recently ( a year ago) purchased a Lodge CI full sized WOK as well as earlier yet some bread pans for corn bread meatloafs etc.. I think my wife is trying to find a bunt cake pan in CI as well. We use out dutch oven when we go native and also used it in our old fireplace sometimes.