NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ah the joys of parrot mating season!

Yossi

Yes, here it is, another Buddy story. :P

It happens twice a year. That's a given. Never know exactly when but the signs are all there. First the heavy molt, extra shower requests and of course extra cuddly. Amazons are generally not cuddly birds. Unless they want to be, anyway.

So here it is in all it's raging glory. Mating season. The crooning. The regurgitating. The rubbing of birdy rump on hand. The honking. The screaming. Oh and the biting of anyone who is not me. *sigh*

I think I mentioned before that Buddy has a perch in my office so he's with me most of the day. 99% of the time he's content to sit there, just be in the same room as I am and chat. If I'm on the phone for work he knows he either has to go into his cage (it's a long meeting and I won't have time to take him down when he needs to eat/drink) or he has to be quiet because it's "mommy's turn to talk". During mating season the rules all seem to change. For two weeks twice year everything is done as if Buddy's having opposite day. He's not quiet when I'm on the phone. He won't step up to go to his cage. He won't sit on his perch. No. What he wants to regurgitate whatever he's just eaten onto my hands. He wants to sit on my shoulder and glue himself to the side of my face and not move. Oh and don't try to eat or drink, he's there first. Put him in his cage? HAH! You'd think you had a wild cat not a domesticated parrot. Bite, pull, scratch, scream. You'd think I was killing him, not putting him into his place of safety. Oh and it's always nice when the neighbors from 2 blocks away stop by to ask if you have a bird or something. To which I nod and state "for these two weeks, its' or something', thanks for asking." The hours spent scratching pin feathers open on his head (I've never had him sexed but he behaves like a girl). The hours spent washing my hands because he's "fed" me. And the money spent on foam ear plugs to help reduce the noise through 2 closed doors.

Despite all this, he's still the light of my life. A treasure to savor even during the times he's the bird from hell. A joy to behold and a companion for life. He's a pain in the a$$ and funny as all get out. He's the best pet in the world and I wouldn't want him any other way. But I sure can't wait for these next two weeks to be over. And I get to do it all over again in about 6 months. Joy.

Edited by Yossi
speeling :P

• 4 weeks later...