NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bathing--possible method 2

Dave007

I have breeder greys that were extremely anti-bath, anti spray, anti bowl. I use breeders as an example because they're much more aggressive than pet greys. They're not hand trained and these breeders like to bite. They all hate baths but definitely need them. Using this method on pet greys is much easier.

I fill up a sink with 3 to 4 inches of water that's colder than room temperature. I have a sprayer at hand. I put each bird in the sink. I'm in front so he/she can't fly away. Each bird screeches, squawks and growls and tries to nip. I have an old ping pong ball floating in the sink which diverts their attention. They try to bite the ball. While they're in the sink, the underside gets completely soaked down to the skin because that area isn't waterproof. Because they're deep in the water, they sometimes pull their wings about 1 inch from their body which allows the water to get in and soak the area. That area under the wing next to the body also isn't waterproof so the water also saturates that area. What's left is the upper breast, top of back, neck. I never do the head. I also spray on the tops of the wings because of dander. It's very obvious what's on the wings. You can see the clumps of dander floating in the water. I put the sprayer in between the mist and stream setting so that the flow is a bit stronger than the misting setting is. I keep spraying the wings until upper wing color is solid gray with no white dusty areas showing. The wing feathers will darken to a deeper gray color. Understand that while this whole thing is going on, the grey is still trying to nip at the nozzle and at your trigger finger----and still growling or squawking. It's a matter of constantly moving your hand away from the mouth going in a circular motion. The bird chases the sprayer but never makes actual contact although biting it isn't a big problem. All the while, I'm still spraying. I never spray the face. As more baths are done, the bird relaxes a bit because he knows what he's in for and realizes it isn't traumatic but he/she will always act angry. That's something that can't be changed. On the wings, the most important part to spray is on top where you can see the dander. Later on after the bath when the bird is on a perch, the he/she bird will spread that water to the under wing with it's beak. Believe it or not, at this stage because it's been done to them many times, they actually like the end result although they won't tell you until it's all over. Now a days and after so many times, they've lost their desire to bite although they still try to just to let me know that they're watching. Their growling has lessened but they still do---at a lower pitch. I also use this method on my pet greys. One of them really looks forward to it and wants to stay in the sink because it's very thorough. Most people aim to get this whole thing over with very quickly where as I aimed to keep them in the sink for a longer period of time and that's what's happened. I started at 5 minutes and now they stay in the sink for about 20 minutes. I do only one bird at a time. I use cool water because it stays on the body for a long time and soaks into the skin where the dryness is. They like cool water because it simulates the cool water of the outdoors. I've never come across warm water(room temperature) outside. I NEVER towel dry or use any hair dryer on them. I leave them soaked and let them drip dry. I put them on perches, they give a quick shake and they usually stay quiet for about an hour before they start preening. My belief about why this is happening is that nature is telling the bird to let the water soak into the dry areas of the body. Eventually, they start preening and within 2 hrs they're totally dry. Even now, none of these birds like showering or deep dish bathing or spraying but this method has worked for me. I figured out this method because of the bathing problems I had with these birds years ago.

My birds never completely relax, but that problem has greatly lessened. After a short while, it's very obvious how to avoid being nipped..I keep my hand away from his beak while continuing to squirt. If I move my hand in a circular motion he'll just slowly follow my hand in a circle like a merry go round. I normally wouldn't type out this method because it frightens some people. It's a matter of seeing the obstinent reactions of your bird but this method can work well.

Add On-----If you're afraid of cool water temperature, just look outside your window and look at all the wild chickadees, titmice, gold finches, cardinals, mockingbirds, woodpeckers and other wild birds and look at what they're bathing in( especially in the winter). Near my outdoor feeders, I also have a feeder filled with water and they're always taking baths or drinking.. Sometimes that water is actually melted down snow. Parrots are wild birds too.

Edited by Dave007

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for these bathing tips, Dave. Bathing is always a challenge here. I had to work to hit upon each bird's acceptable bathing method. (Acceptable to the bird!) The biggest challenge is the too, and we have resorted to the sink bath as you describe. She flaps and struggles to get out of the water, but doesn't stay mad or anything.

Moussa the grey wants to play in the drinking water, and I'm trying to work with that. Will keep all your tips in mind.

BTW: Come on down to Texas, where you can find water outside that's warmer than your bath water! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is also how I bathe my birds. They don't like it much, but they get a bath once a week so they are starting to get used to it. They will let me pull out their wings and run my fingers down their back to get the water down to the skin. Also, they do not like warm water either. Lukewarm is ok or just plain cold. I had a grey once that would bathe herself in a bowl, but the water had to be ice cold. If I gave her even lukewarm she would ignore the bowl until I refilled it with cold water. It freaked me out a little bit, but that's what she liked and it got her to take a bath, so I just went with it! :) Thanks Dave!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

No pro here Katie, but I start by spraying Timber (which he likes). Sometimes, but not nearly every time, he will follow that by going to his water bowl and throwing water over his shoulder. That is my cue to get the heavy glass baking dish and put an inch and a half of water in it. He will dive right in. If he doesn't want to take a bath, the dish can sit there all day and he won't go near it. Like many other things, it is on his terms and not happening any other way. When it comes to bathing, I can live with that.

So far, I have gotten by with misting Gilbert with aloe spray. He is starting to get a little more cooperative. Thanks for bringing this post up, it might be just the right time to revisit a sink bath, especially when I can enlist the help of his favorite person to bring him to the kitchen where I can give him the bath.

No pro here Katie, but I start by spraying Timber (which he likes). Sometimes, but not nearly every time, he will follow that by going to his water bowl and throwing water over his shoulder. That is my cue to get the heavy glass baking dish and put an inch and a half of water in it. He will dive right in. If he doesn't want to take a bath, the dish can sit there all day and he won't go near it. Like many other things, it is on his terms and not happening any other way. When it comes to bathing, I can live with that.
yeh she does the same I've never tried the water bowl afterwards ill have to try that one thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Jake hates hates hates the spray bottle. He thrashes around and has broken feathers trying to get away. He will sometimes take a bath in a pyrex pan but hasn't wanted to do that the past few weeks. Today I was determined that he would have a good soaking bath. I have a bathtub with a shower head and adjusted the water for temp and minimal spray then hit the button so it came out of the faucet and left the water running. I took him into the bathroom and we played with the bird in the mirror for a minute and then I quickly placed him in the tub and switched the water from faucet to shower spray. I aimed the water in the middle of the tub. Jake made quite a fuss but once I moved away 2 steps he starting running back and forth through the water with his wings open but not flapping or thrashing around in a panic. With the water aimed at the center of the bathtub he could have stayed at either end and not gotten wet so I really think his pathetic chirps were just for show. He was one wet bird when we left the bathroom.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm in Jakarta, Indonesia with a constant temperature at 34c and about 75% humidity.

Can I bath my baby grey (9weeks) everyday morning? Been doing it for some days now and the bird seems to like it by closing the eyes enjoying the spray until wet to the skin. elf is a messy eater so I have to clean the feather and the easiest way is by spraying every morning.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

• 1 year later...