NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Harrison's Bird Food?

busere

www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com

I've been reading their info, but I like to hear what people that use the product think. No company in their right mind would say, "Our product is not a good one for your bird." :blink: They shoot with a bit more bias then that.

Rodney

Guest briansmum

i use it, also the high potency variety, i buy both the fine and the course types. he likes the course better but i use the fine one for mixing in things etc. just out of curiosity i tried zupreem fruit blend and he doesnt want to know, he goes for harrisons everytime. while ever i can afford it, that is what he will get.

Harrison's is regarded as among the best pellets you can feed a Grey. I have had Ceasar on the High Potency Fine formula since we got him home..

By no means it is the only healthy food you can feed your Grey.. There are MANY different pellets that are also very good...

Talon and I were talking about this some time ago. You see, given a big enough variety of foods an African Grey will eat what it's body needs in terms of vitamins and minerals..

The problem comes from us not being able to supply ALL the different foods that would make up all the necessary elements for a Grey.. This is where Pellets come in.. Balanced for the Grey, pellets make feeding Greys or any other bird for that matter, easier then otherwise possible.

But as far as a certain brand of pellet.. It matters less. It's more important to get your Grey OFF OF a seed based diet as soon as possible. This much most vets will agree on.

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/08/10 00:56<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/08/10 00:57

Guest briansmum

yeah i also buy the 5lb bag, as CD said last over a month and is easy storage size. for value though the 25lb works out cheaper, i just dont have room to put a bag that big LOL

• 2 weeks later...

We just bought some Harrison's for Makena today and he loved it! He originally liked the Kaytee blend but when mixed together he seems to pick out the Harrison's. We aren't feeding him seed (except for treats here and there) as our vet told us not to. Since the pellets are the perfect blend developed exclusively for birds we are more than happy that he likes them!

We bought a one pound bag to see if he liked it... Now that we know he does we are heading back for a 5 pounder!

Thats what Im doing too starting the small to make sure.Right now the pet store has Alcazar on seed and some fruits.I called my vet who is for the dogs plus avian and he said to abort the seed and if at all as a treat

Yeah our vet told us seed isn't the best thing for a grey... It used to be what was recommended but I guess not anymore. Hey as long as he loves the pellets, we will continue with it!!<br><br>Post edited by: Makena, at: 2007/08/25 19:23

Harrison's is recommended by many vet's and Grey owners.

But, I always believe in knowing what the ingredients are of the pellet of any type of food.

I have posted this before, but here are the ingredients of the Harrison High Potency pellets:

Ingredients: *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Hulless Barley, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Rice, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, Psyllium, *Ground Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Spirulina, Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Though Vet's are starting to advise against feeding seeds to your Parrots, I find it amusing, that the very brand they recommend as "The Best" pellet contains as the #1 (meaning highest quantity) ingredient Sunflower Seeds and #4 Peanuts.....

Just some "Food" for thought folks. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/08/25 13:59

One thing of note in the ingredients, Montmorillonite Clay is a vital item in the wild.

Some or many of you may already know this, but many Birds and Parrots eat Clay. The reason for this, is it coats their digestive tract. This protects them from the poisonous vegetation they love to munch on as a staple in their diets.

but in addition to that...note that it has the required calcium in it as well (in the form of CaCo3/Calcium Carbonate) so there's no need to supplement their diet with calcium....as long as you get them some sun light as well (i use a full spectrum bulb in a regular desk light..much cheaper than buying the whole lamp..although the light bulb itself cost about $15:S ) but the sunlight helps with the vitamin conversion issues. (i take my bird to a diplomate in birds and also consult my professors at the vet school becasue sometimes the vet has no idea what they're talking about, like the issue with the preen gland...has anybody else had that issue)....if you have a question about it let me know ....because i've become a pseudo-expert on african grey preen glands after mine was misdiagnosed...but I'm rambling ............................:sick:

Boy I tell you, we don't need any grey books here, all we need are our members posting about the needs of our greys and we have all the information laid out for all of us to enjoy. We have an excellent resource here in our members, just ask and they will provide.