NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

1st time parront to an 8yr old female TAG "Meggie"

Hi there!

Congrats on your new addition. We also just brought a 16 year old Congo to our home, about a month ago. She has changed a lot as the weeks have gone by...we get to know her, at her pace. I know it is hard to let them do this, but it is really important for trust building. The biting is something that I was very fearful of too..but that fear instilled an EXCELLENT observation ability on my part of her body language...obviously in order to avoid being bit. I have learned that the biting is just an inevitable part of being a grey owner...so being very observant and learning her moods will be your best ali...when she is pinning and crouching, it is best to respect her boundries and leave her be. She does not have hands to push you away with, so she is using what is available to her.

Please please read the top ten list of deadly foods, in the "feeding" area..http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?137487-Top-10-Common-Foods-that-Can-Poison-Your-Bird. It is an invaluable list..I know it is redundant to you maybe, but there could be things on the list you aren't aware of yet that could save her life. :) Not to be dramatic..but it includes things like apple seeds...things that are very basic and have a high potential to find its way in her beak if you arent aware of them. I know many of them were surprising to me.

As you get to know her, it is really, really neat bonding with them. I take Kihei on field trips around the house, for enrichment...and let her explore the faucets, and the counter tops, my son's toys, etc. She is like a toddler...EVERYTHING goes straight to her mouth. I think this exploration also helps the bonding process too, and keeps her happy.

Good luck, looking forward to getting to know you.

Logan

Edited by kihei
Added link

Hi there!

Congrats on your new addition. We also just brought a 16 year old Congo to our home, about a month ago. She has changed a lot as the weeks have gone by...we get to know her, at her pace. I know it is hard to let them do this, but it is really important for trust building. The biting is something that I was very fearful of too..but that fear instilled an EXCELLENT observation ability on my part of her body language...obviously in order to avoid being bit. I have learned that the biting is just an inevitable part of being a grey owner...so being very observant and learning her moods will be your best ali...when she is pinning and crouching, it is best to respect her boundries and leave her be. She does not have hands to push you away with, so she is using what is available to her.

Please please read the top ten list of deadly foods, in the "feeding" area..http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?137487-Top-10-Common-Foods-that-Can-Poison-Your-Bird. It is an invaluable list..I know it is redundant to you maybe, but there could be things on the list you aren't aware of yet that could save her life. :) Not to be dramatic..but it includes things like apple seeds...things that are very basic and have a high potential to find its way in her beak if you arent aware of them. I know many of them were surprising to me.

As you get to know her, it is really, really neat bonding with them. I take Kihei on field trips around the house, for enrichment...and let her explore the faucets, and the counter tops, my son's toys, etc. She is like a toddler...EVERYTHING goes straight to her mouth. I think this exploration also helps the bonding process too, and keeps her happy.

Good luck, looking forward to getting to know you.

Logan

Thanks,

Have you been bit as of yet? It is really neat forming this relationship with such a smart bird, creating that link between human and bird.

Sometimes i just want to give her a scratch or or bring her close like i did my quaker, but i guess it'll be a long time before that happens.

Thanks,

Have you been bit as of yet? It is really neat forming this relationship with such a smart bird, creating that link between human and bird.

Sometimes i just want to give her a scratch or or bring her close like i did my quaker, but i guess it'll be a long time before that happens.

Yes, she has bit me. Luckily though, when she has, it has not been very hard at all. I am not sure if she is aware of how gentle she is being, or if I just haven't made her mad enough to really chomp down...but the bites still pinch a little.

She will come around and let you pet her eventually I am sure, just at her own pace. :)

It is natural and wise to have a healthy respect for a beak that looks like it could open steel cans. My family still has that apprehension of being on the receiving end of a bite. One thing I read on this forum long ago was to consider that the African Grey is a very subtle communicator. They don't bite if they can get their message across earlier with their body language. It all comes down to building trust, both the bird's and your own. From your description of Meggie, she has a sweet disposition and you are not pushing her too hard too fast. The only bites I have had was when something else in the room startled our grey, that is unpredictable, so keep taking caution as you learn what you can do with her as you learn to trust her. Congratulations on sharing your home with an intelligent, graceful companion. There is a strong learning curve, but you have come to a good place to read for ideas of how to keep her healthy and to build your own relationship with her. Enjoy the journey.

UPDATE:

Meggie will now step up while in her cage without making any attempt to strike, although the very second i open the cage in the morning she is ready to come out.

When I use to ask her to let me scratch, she'd always come to my finger and rub her beak instead, and nibble, so I instead now tell her let me rub your beak and she does it, i really dont have to say anything she just lets me even grab her beak playing.

So seeing as she has given me more trust I began to try and pet her near mid back to see how she reacted, naturally they don't really like that, but she didnt strike, I did this over the course of 1 to 2 days, and moved closer to her head, she did a couple of times like go to my finger and i let her because i figured by now if she had wanted to bite me she would have, so i let her and all she did was just touch my finger, non threatening.....but now i can totally put my hand over hear, touch her wings, slightly under her wings, give her a kis on her head.

So all in all I can show her more affection without any fear getting bit, its such an awesome feeling to have gained that trust and not have to fear her bite anymore.

And she has also suprised me with some new learned sounds, such as a "cackle" laugh, really funny, does it all the time, and whistleing more tunes.

I have given her a 50/50 aloe vera spray bottle bath once before, she didnt like it much, flew away a few times....today I took her to the garage so I could spray without worrying about the floor, and sprayed her good, she's so funny, she will pin her eyes and say "woooo" or do this "phew" type whistle and do this head/nech retraction she does, then if the bottle gets close she will go for the nozzle.....but she didnt fly away no matter how much i sprayed her.

Ah, its so great.

I just read you 5/22/10 post Jon and it certainly sounds like Meggie is beginning to feel more comfortable with you and ready to join your flock. You have the right attitude. Patience and trust are what are necessary to cement a life long forever bond. I would love to see some pictures of Meggie if you have any to share. And I look forward to hearing more about this great relationship you and Meggie are forming.

I just read you 5/22/10 post Jon and it certainly sounds like Meggie is beginning to feel more comfortable with you and ready to join your flock. You have the right attitude. Patience and trust are what are necessary to cement a life long forever bond. I would love to see some pictures of Meggie if you have any to share. And I look forward to hearing more about this great relationship you and Meggie are forming.

These are the only pictures I have so far: http://picasaweb.google.com/abcogroup1/TimnehAfricanGreyMeggie#

She's been on my shoulder while I been on here for a while, I looked over my shoulder and on several ocassions she's been leaning over with her neck bente and her nech feathers all fluffed trying to rub on my cheek trying to steal a nech scratch, so cute....I'm sooo happy/excited to have finally been able to get to this point with her. It's a special feeling to be able to have this kind of bond between human and bird.

• Haha 1

Wow, some great pictures Jon. Meggie looks great and very confident. I did notice that you live in Florida, and from the pictures you are having some great weather. As a precaution, and because that is a large glass area behind Meggie's cage, I would be careful that it doesn't get too hot through the window. Our greys don't do well in full direct sunlight especially through glass. They can overheat and get dehydrated easily. I know they are from Africa but in Africa they have all that humidity and foliage over head to protect them from the blaring sun. I know my Ana Grey gets overheated if I take her outside when it is really hot and I live in Washington State. I only mention the overheating problem in case you go to school or work during the day and leave the blinds open and the sunlight comes in. I look forward to hearing more about Meggie and the new words and things you discover she can do as your relationship progresses.

I actually moved her away from there and put her near my livingroom so when im watching tv she's only a few feet away, but I usually put her on her perch next tome or shoulder her for a while.

Last week I gave her a Tostitos tortilla chip, and wow now she goes crazy for them, if she hears me with the bag from a distance she starts pacing waiting for me to bring her one, seems to be her favorite treat so far.

I know about the chips, my Ana Grey LOVES chips just like me so I have to watch that she isn't biting holes in the bags all the time. The little stinker. You and Meggie have the start of a great relationship going and I look forward to hearing more about her.