NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

1st time parront to an 8yr old female TAG "Meggie"

Hello everyone,

Tuesday night I acquired "Meggie", 8yr old TAG, I found her on Craigs, her former parronts had her for 6yrs, she is not clipped, I spent a couple of hours with her and former parronts, she stepped up to me right away, was obsessed with giving me kisses, very cute, I had her on my shoulder for a while, and she regurgitated on me...my 1st regurgitation, I almost puked, I smelled puke, and then she shook her head flinging it all over my head and face.

When I got her home she did it to me 3 more times within 30 minutes, (must really like me)....now when I see she is about to do it I just put her back on a perch, or step away so she doesnt follow through with it....hopefully she will reduce this bcus it limits me being able to have her on my shoulder.

Her previous parronts say she knows lots of words, sentences, and sounds...I guess she is going to remain somewhat silent until she is comfortable in her new home, so far I can only get her to make any noises or say "peek a boo" when she is on top of her cage...I came to her and asker her if I could scritch and she said peek a boo i thoughtit was so cute, when i say it to her she does this funny noise everytime, i guess a learned noise/response, she does this short beep type sound, must be something she's heard, and she has whistled.

I havent dared pet her because I dont want to find out how bad a bite from a TAG can be....I slowly tried to see if she let me touch her belly but she did a half way attempt to bite, so I wont be doing that again.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, just excited to have my new companion.

Any advice on gaining trust would be great, I'd really like to be able to pet her, but need to know when is right, how will she let me know? or do I just have to try ocassionally to see how she reacts, if she will let me?

How bad can a bite be? down to the bone?

Thanks,

Jon

The best advice is to allow her time to settle in. Keep talking to her but try not to handle too often yet, go slowly as she is still getting to know you and her new home. Since she is fully flighted keep an eye on her safety-you may need to reasses your home and bird proof a bit. Hide electric cords and remove items she may knock over or chew on. Ceiling fans can be turned off when she is out of cage to prevent injury. Do introduce her to any mirrors and keep her caged when cooking to avoid burns and scalds in case she flies over to help cook. We have had several Greys fly out of doors and windows here lately and that is heart breaking so keep an eye on security as well. Speak to her often, if she offers the top of her head you can scratch it for her but keep an eye on her body language to avoid a bite, if she is looking down you should be safe if she cuts those eyes up to you then get back. Yes a bite hurts and can draw blood but I think it hurts you feelings more than your body. Give her little treats during your day and tell her what you are doing and when you will be back if you go out. Sounds silly but it help build that relationship and trust. Welcome to our corner of the Grey world and keep asking questions we are all willing to help each other reach the potential in our relationships with these marvelous birds.

The best advice is to allow her time to settle in. Keep talking to her but try not to handle too often yet, go slowly as she is still getting to know you and her new home. Since she is fully flighted keep an eye on her safety-you may need to reasses your home and bird proof a bit. Hide electric cords and remove items she may knock over or chew on. Ceiling fans can be turned off when she is out of cage to prevent injury. Do introduce her to any mirrors and keep her caged when cooking to avoid burns and scalds in case she flies over to help cook. We have had several Greys fly out of doors and windows here lately and that is heart breaking so keep an eye on security as well. Speak to her often, if she offers the top of her head you can scratch it for her but keep an eye on her body language to avoid a bite, if she is looking down you should be safe if she cuts those eyes up to you then get back. Yes a bite hurts and can draw blood but I think it hurts you feelings more than your body. Give her little treats during your day and tell her what you are doing and when you will be back if you go out. Sounds silly but it help build that relationship and trust. Welcome to our corner of the Grey world and keep asking questions we are all willing to help each other reach the potential in our relationships with these marvelous birds.

Thank you.

Fortunately she lets me take her out of the cage, not territorial, she steps ut on call just by seeing hand even without verbal command, and gives kisses even when not requested, I'm just holding back on the petting/scratching part until I see she gives me a sign welcoming it.

As for the bites, I'm sure they have to be very painful, not just a "pinch", but no chunk taken out or anything like that? Just a cut with sharp beak edges, and or pierce?

Thanks again,

Jon

At the worst a bite can cut the skin and bruise, the tip of the beak can go deeper but they usually just pinch hard unless they are angry or frightened badly. If they pierce your finger nail, ear or face it will be painful. I do not suggest you put you face in the line of fire just in case.

Hi Jon so glad you and Meggie have decided to join the GreyForums. You are certainly on the right track with Meggie and I applaud you for taking in an older grey. Just take things slowly as you have done. Talk to Meggie and let her know what is going on. She understands and will be watching you. You seem to have already gained her trust and I commend you for that. As for bites relax, they use their beaks like we do our hands, my grey has given me a few little bites (I say little because she has never broken the skin). Meggie already comes to you willing for step ups. When she wants a head scratch she will lower her head for me. If you want to give her a scratch, tell her what you are going to do. My grey will lower her head if she wants one. Watch her eyes, they will pin if Meggie is leery of something. You seem to be doing everything right to help Meggie settle in comfortably, so just keep doing what you are doing and Meggie will let you know when she is ready for more. There are oodles of informative threads here so read, read, read. Welcome to the Grey family, Jon.

Hi Jon so glad you and Meggie have decided to join the GreyForums. You are certainly on the right track with Meggie and I applaud you for taking in an older grey. Just take things slowly as you have done. Talk to Meggie and let her know what is going on. She understands and will be watching you. You seem to have already gained her trust and I commend you for that. As for bites relax, they use their beaks like we do our hands, my grey has given me a few little bites (I say little because she has never broken the skin). Meggie already comes to you willing for step ups. When she wants a head scratch she will lower her head for me. If you want to give her a scratch, tell her what you are going to do. My grey will lower her head if she wants one. Watch her eyes, they will pin if Meggie is leery of something. You seem to be doing everything right to help Meggie settle in comfortably, so just keep doing what you are doing and Meggie will let you know when she is ready for more. There are oodles of informative threads here so read, read, read. Welcome to the Grey family, Jon.

Thank you,

I'm being cautious for myself, and also I don't want to make her uncomfortable.

As for "pinning" is this where her pupil gets really small? I know she does that very seldom but it changes rapidly, as if focusing her sight.

This morning I been spending a couple of hours with her while she's on top of her cage, which I put in front of a window, I noticed if she's hanging out at the front of the cage, away from the window, and I come, she goes to the back towards the window. She was doing this funny thing today of running her beak along the topedge of her play top and running from one end of the cage to the other all the while her beak on the edge, then turned around and did the same thing, maybe playing with her cage, not sure.

I'll be doing alot of searching for body language, and behavioral patterns....in anycase, it's just me and her so I talk to her everytime I enter the living area.

Yikes, 1st sign of hostility, she went in her cage a while ago, i just went back and tried to get her to step up but noticed her iris was going in/out, i'm assuming this is "pinning"? and I approached her with a finger but kept a distance and she leaned over as to bite, I talked to her, tried some more but her eyes keep doing that thing. Now I'm afraid to get near her...dang it, I hope she doesnt go into an episode.

Jon relax, if you are anxious, she will sense it and react. Back off and just talk to her and try again later when you are calm. Don't try to push her. Let things happen at her pace.

Its weird though, because since Tuesday night i been able to just bring my hand in th cage and not even have to say step up, from distance when seh saw my hand coming her foot would be up....seems as if today she woke up on the wrong side of the perch, although she gave me kisses this morning.

How many days have you had Maggie? They do need some adjustment time so don't push anything or move to fast with the relationship. Heed all warning to not pick your Grey up when they look like they want to bite. If it persists for a long time, then you can use some positive reinforcement training to overcome that. If this is still the first week though, give the bird time to get used to everything. You can go over occasionally and see if she is in the mood, but be sure to respect her wishes as much as possible. :)

How many days have you had Maggie? They do need some adjustment time so don't push anything or move to fast with the relationship. Heed all warning to not pick your Grey up when they look like they want to bite. If it persists for a long time, then you can use some positive reinforcement training to overcome that. If this is still the first week though, give the bird time to get used to everything. You can go over occasionally and see if she is in the mood, but be sure to respect her wishes as much as possible. :)

I tried again, still the same, so I came back with a piece of cheese, she wanted it, but didnt wat to step up, so she came out of her cage went to the top and got the cheese....then she stepped up, i brought her to her t perch in my office and have got her to step up several times again....phew

Welcome, she either loves you, or gets car sick! Don't pet her anywhere but head and neck and beak, they love their beaks rubbed. Don't bother her in her cage, shes being cage territorial, let her come out on her own.[that's when you clean her cage.] Remember she comes with baggage, let her unpack at her own pace, observe her, her likes and dislikes. Thank you for taking a older Grey. It will take more than a week or two. I'm sorry to say this, they bite and it hurts. If you get bit, stay calm, stay quiet, set her down and pretend nothing happened, if you can say" don't bite and pet her beak, they usally won't bite a second time, then walk to another room where she can't hear you and yell. Jayd ,Maggie, Spock and the Flock.

Edited by Jayd

Welcome, she either loves you, or gets car sick! Don't pet her anywhere but head and neck and beak, they love their beaks rubbed. Don't bother her in her cage, shes being cage territorial, let her come out on her own.[that's when you clean her cage.] Remember she comes with baggage, let her unpack at her own pace, observe her, her likes and dislikes. Thank you for taking a older Grey. It will take more than a week or two. I'm sorry to say this, they bite and it hurts. If you get bit, stay calm, stay quiet, set her down and pretend nothing happened, if you can say" don't bite and pet her beak, they usally won't bite a second time, then walk to another room where she can't hear you and yell. Jayd ,Maggie, Spock and the Flock.

Jayd,

Thanks, I just got my son with me tonight and she was on top of her cage, she stepped up to me, then i told him to tell her step up and she went on his arm, she gave him kisses as well, he gave her treats.

And for some reason she felt comfortable enough to whistle a few learned ones in front of him that she hadnt in front of me.

I personally don't think 8 is necesarilly "old" considering how long they live, she's still a "kid".....personally I got her because her previous parronts told me how docile, and vocal she was, so I figured this was pretty "turnkey", I love her, she has so much personality.

Sounds like you and your son and Meggie are having a wonderful evening, Jon!!! It's great when greys like children as they so often don't. My grey loves my 10 year old grandson and doesn't care of others. Enjoy your evening with your son and new companion!

Keep up the grey't work , your on your way to being a grey't paront...All the people on the forum are fantastic, I promise you'll get a answer for anything you ask, remember it will be to the point and sometimes something you might not want to hear....Jayd

Welcome to Grey Forums! Well done to you for taking in an older grey. You seem to be doing everything possible to help her settle in. I laughed at the regurgitation - because I'm glad that Harvey has never "loved" me in that way - and long may it last!! I look forward to your journey and finding out how you are doing x

Hi Jon, welcome to the Forum.

seems as if today she woke up on the wrong side of the perch, .

Quite possibly! As the others have said, don't push her, and let her cage be her space - somewhere she feels safe and can go to have some private time to herself.

As far as petting goes, she will let you know when she wants it - but as Jay says - only pet on the head and beak. When I offer Alfie a pet - I wiggle my index finger in a "scratching" motion - if she wants it, she'll lower her head. You'll quickly get to grips with body language - bites do hurt but you won't get big chunks taken out of your fingers!!

Glad you have joined us, and we'll look forward to hearing how you and Meggie settle in together.

Lyn & Alfie

x

It is kind of like a honeymoon time when she is getting to know you and your home. The usual Grey reactions will start showing more as she feels more at home. She will test both you and any boundaries you set for her in the months to come. She is an expert in reading human body language and now you get to learn hers. Always give them room to make some decisions and step away if she is not ready to step up, come back later sweet talk her and try again. The best way to avoid a bite is to not reinforce getting one so if she is excited or aggressive avoid handling her and she will reward your respect for her wishes with respect for you.

Hello Jon and welcome to our family and congrats on taking in this grey Maggie.

It is still the honeymoon phase at this point, she is still settling in and finding her place in her new home, you will see more of her true personality as she gets more used to the new surroundings so don't be taken aback by her recent behavior. You will continue to observe her and how she reacts to things and you will learn her body language which will help immensely with avoiding a bite.

Yes bites hurt, some can be very painful but if you are going to share your home with a hook beaked parrot then you have to expect a bite now and then, my grey Josey has never bitten me before but recently she did deliver one that broke the skin but it was my fault. I wouldn't recommend you allow her to shoulder sit until you know you can trust her and that may take a while with a previously owned grey.

No at 8 years of age she is not "old" by any means but she is a mature grey and may have times she will be harder to handle, she may have moods that she won't want to be very interactive with you so don't take it personally for it is a sexual thing.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Sounds like you and your son and Meggie are having a wonderful evening, Jon!!! It's great when greys like children as they so often don't. My grey loves my 10 year old grandson and doesn't care of others. Enjoy your evening with your son and new companion!

Thanks,

It was great, my son loved Meggie, he thought she was "cool", specially when she flew to her cage, he was like "awesome" (so was I).

He wants to teach her how to say "barnacles".

Jayd,

I love it, that was, well "grey't".

So far I feel very welcomed, I'm glad I joined and look forward to learning from you guys how to learn about my Meggie.

I'ts funny, but I feel such a connection between her (although I fear her bite), it's something about theyre eys and that penetrating look, maybe I'm just crazy, or has anyone ever felt that way about theyre grey?

All I know is she's great, I'm glad I got her, and am sooo looking forward to a great reationship, I really like how you guys refer to them as companion, and not pet, although thats what in essence they are, but I don't like that word for some reason.

Thanks Lyn,

So far she hasn't still stepped up while inside the cage, and when on her playtop, when she sees me coming she moves away, unless i bring food or a toy, and then after a little while of trying to get her to interact with me she will step up.

Now I am having a bit of trouble getting her of my shoulder, seems like when I have her in a perch in my office I can see her pacing to get on my shoulder and she leans as if she wants to fly to it, i see the desperation, so I put her on, but when I want to put her down she wont step up, and sometimes i see her just lower her head like tryin to tell me "not yet"....but eventually i get her to step down....she just likes playing with my shirt and I'm afraid shes going to pinch me.

Tonight she did let me rub her beak, I have to 1st get a kiss ad then ask her to let me rub her beak, she wont just let me rub it without 1st getting a kiss, she gives my finge a little nibble then rubs her beak, at one point i noticed she lowered her head enough and let me rub her cheek and a little on her head, but it was short, but an improvement nonetheless, when she didnt want no more she did a slow strike motion as if saying "ok enough", I think we're making progress.