NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The sad part of rescues!

loviechick

I was talking to Talon about this in another thread. She asked why Zsa Zsa, my recent rescue was so sick and only given around another 5 years to live. Here is what her cage looked like when I got it, they aren't the best pictures, but it gives you a tiny idea of what this poor bird lived in:

nastyshit4.jpg

nastyshit3.jpg

nastyshit2.jpg

nastyshit.jpg

I wish I could have gotten closer pictures of them, and sad thing was this was AFTER I dusted off the big chunks of poop off of everything!

Those same people should not be allowed to have children either.

I never understand why these types of people buy pets in the first place.

Getting a rescue bird is a risk and in most cases very expensive.

I got lucky with one of mine as he is very sweet and loving bird but he has liver issues.

My other one I was not so lucky. He is not sweet or loving. He bites and he was a plucker. But I promised him he would live her forever no matter what his attitude. Dandy seems very content as long as no one tries to touch him. lol

Anyone that rescues is a hero in my book.

Tari is right! Anyone who will take a bird out of such horrific conditions is a hero in my book as well.

Loviechick, I can see from the pictures, the filth that poor Zsa had to live in. No wonder she is sick. I pray that her check up goes well next week. You've done a wonderful thing taking her in and giving her such a healthy and loving environment to thrive in. Bless you!

Karma to you and Tari for all your rescuing efforts!

{Love-000200BF}

thank you for rescuing. i was just on petfinder today and there are a number of AGs on there.

here is a little question i will pose here, perhaps it is off topic. when you clean the cage do you use a steamer? do you use that scunci steamer or would a regular clothes steamer sanitize the cage?

Well that nasty cage I took to a carwash that had a hot water pressure washer and let er rip! after about an hour of scrubbing it looks great! Then I took it home and sanded it, as she had chipped all the paint off the bottom of her cage and it was starting to rust, so I sanded it repainted it, and gave it to my Sun conure!

For cleaning the cages now, I don't have a pressure washer at home, and I do spot cleanings once a week. I don't like the cages to look bad in anyway, but for the most part all my birds are fairly clean and dont get messes all over their cage!

That is how i got MY CAG. I figure she wasn't out of her cage much cause once she is out it is tuff to get her back in. Also i really dont think she was ever held. i have tried to teach her to step up using all the methods, but i always get bit. When she wants to step up, she will walk over and climb onto your hand. Also Most Rescues are great but im only 21 years old and when i made the descion about a year ago to find a AG no rescue would let me Adopt one. It isn't like i didnt have the education, Animal/Vet Tech and a grew up with Umbrellas. It was just a pain, but i did find my CAG from a friend of a friend that just wanted to find her a home. Now she is queen of the House. She even chases my Pitbull around. Love that bird

Now if you can capture a picture of her chasing that pit bull around, it would be a sight to see.

On the stepping up thing, do you pull back when she bites or goes to bite you on trying to get her to step on your hand, if so that is your problem.

I am glad you got the opportunity to get your grey and she is queen, I'm sure, and most rescues are very careful of prospective new adoptees so don't hold it against them, I suspect they errored on the side of caution.

Chelsea, I still can not believe that cage actually got as clean as it did! Now, if you were closer, you could have used my pressure washer and saved bundles! And I could be closer to my two west coast birds.:P

I agree, there are indeed some individuals who should not own pets or have children but this is a harsh categorization to lump all people in to. The true key is education! Some people simply do not know all they need before bringing any bird into their home. I fault the uncaring people who see dollar signs for this. I've helped keep a few birds in their homes by educating the parronts. Education is key and should always be primary.

I will always go first for the rescue, or rehomed bird. Most of mine are rehomes...my door is never closed. IMHO, those are the ones that need me most. Trust me, they do have the luggage but most, if not all, is not of their making. Also, most, not all in some cases, CAN be worked through with time and, here's the key, PATIENCE!