NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The other aloe vera gel

Dave007

I notice that many times, a person doesn't have the ability to buy the aloe vera gel in a bottle from different retailers.

So, this is the other gel which is the same. It's called Aloe Vera Medicinal plant. This plant can be purchased at any florist shop, plant store, dapartment stores like Walmart, Home Depot type stores and other stores of the same type that are located in the UK.

It's a cascading plant, will withstand any type of warm sunny or non-sunny weather and can be put in the house during the winter. It's the cheapest Aloe plant, will last a long time. Small pieces of the leafs are cut off when the gel is needed. Only a small amount is needed ( from left to right on leaf and about 1/2 high ). Plant won't die. Plant will constantly grow. Needs little water and can be kept in a small pot.

Mine here has a string tied to the leaves because I don't want it cascading off of my window sill. It's also an attractive addition to any plants you may have.

In some climates, it can actually be grown in the back yard. Critters of any type won't eat it. I have one in my back yard but when I let my dog out in the yard, he likes to lift his leg and piss all over it.

PS--the one in the picture is about 16 inches tall and costs $5

================

DSCN0150.jpg

Edited by Dave007

How do you [Dave] use fresh Aloe plant? What all can it be used for?

Thanks

Jayd

P.S. Here in Arizona where our temperatures are all ready reaching over 95 degrees it grows wild and free!!!

Edited by Jayd

Just a quick word of advise, If and when you go to the store to pick this plant up make sure that it is a medicinal plant, I bought one over the summer it was a big plant and was only marked Aloe, I brought it home to it needed some trimming and I had a bad sunburn!! I cut off a piece of stem and there was Brown Gel inside and it was VERY STINKY!! I do not know what kind of Aloe this is but it is definitely NOT Aloe Vera!!

Take a scisser and cut across a leaf you only need a small bit. That piece will still have the skin on it. You use 2 fingers, hold the skin and rub the contents across whatever area you need.

It's used for cuts--holes made by a bird who's constantly plucking a certain area and causing irritation to that area. Scrapes, cuts. It's used on dry, scaly feet to soften the scales plus other areas that are irritated. It's used on wounds that the bird got before and is healing. That protects the bird from getting scabs and if that's protected, the bird will lose interest in picking at those scabs. It can be used very often. It's used on very dry scaly beaks. It's used on areas where the bird obviously over plucked and caused a rashy area. It's not toxic and won't hurt a bird if swallowed. The skin quickly aborbs it. People also use aloe vera gel as a softener for their dried out skin. There's nothing harmful about it.

All aloe vera gel whether it's from the plant or gotton from a drug store acts like a salve.

1 inch across and 1/2 inch high

Goes a long way

Edited by Dave007

The plant you purchased is called Aloe Varieta. It's a hybrid. It's a succulent just like cacti and when opened will have a bad odor. The brown internals aren't gel, it's sap. Stores do sell that type of plant because it visually mimics the medicinal version. Cacti will emit a white substance ( sap) which also has a bad odor when opened. It's also toxic.

PS---more than likely, you purchased that plant at the end of the selling season.

Thanks Dave for such a quick response! I tried and failed to do some research on it, ooh well.. I have it far away from any of my dogs who are plant eaters! and its a very good thing.. I also have a smaller one in the bird room thats coming out just incase!!

ps and yes I did purchase it late August!!

Jayd

Arizoa has one of the best climates in the US as far as Cacti and succulents. Most of the small cacti/succulents that are sold on the east coast are harvested in Arizona. When I say most, I mean in the thousands. Mass production.

Edited by Dave007

I had to really hunt to find my aloe plant. Finally I found some at the local Grocery Outlet. I snatched up a couple and put them in the bird room, very pleased with myself. Thanks on the use tutorial Dave. I have very dry skin and might give it a try myself!!!

Well, luvy

You'll be very satisfied when you do that. It does a real good job on people too. As a matter of fact, when sold as a *medicinal* aloe in stores, it's meant to attract people, not for birds. The same goes for the aloe vera gel that's in a bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

Research has shown that true aloe is anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. The yellow sap just under the green skin is bitter and has laxative prroperties. The gel is healing for burns as well as other skin problems. When used internally it has helped with many digestive problems.

If anyone is interested I will look up the original info for you

I think what you're referring to is aloe vera juice which many MDs recommend for digestive problems. People don't eat the gel that's in medicinal aloe plants nor do MDs recommend it. The gel that's in an aloe vera plant is strictly for external use as is the aloe vera gel which is sold in a bottle. All aloe vera whether it's for drinking or in a plant or in a bottle is true aloe.

CopyofBothtypesofaloevera.jpg

Edited by Dave007

Great advice Dave, as usual. It's funny, my mom always had a few of these growing in the house while I was growing up. It didn't seem to matter what skin ailment we had, we got rubbed with the aloe vera plant. I'm surprised it grew at all considering she was always pinching a chunk off it. I remember it being especially soothing on sunburns! Who knew I'd be coveting the plant as a parrot owner as well.

I have to say, I was surprised to see that the aloe vera juice is actually meant for human stomach ailments. I have non-bacterial stomach ulcers and thought I give it a shot. It's not horrible, but not something I could drink day in and day out.

I'm surprised that you didn't know that it's also recommended for ulcers too. Well, the bottle above is totally pure and the cheapest place to get is Walmart-----$9 a gallon. It has a very bland taste.

PS--it's also recommended for acid reflux.

• 9 months later...

can the gel be thinned with water and then used as a spray for the birds? i've read that aloe juice is a good soothing spray for birds, especially in the winter and if they're plucking. normally i can kill the silk plants in the house, lol, but if this can also be used in a spray i might have to try and grow some!

• 3 months later...

The top of this thread is about OTHER VERA GEL which I wrote so what you need to do is read about the ALOE VERA JUICE. The article that I wrote there should tell you all about the juice. Whether you wanna usethe juice is up to you. There's pictures of the items.

GEL is for irritations, cuts, bruises, rashes. The juice is used for certain species of parrots but you can read all about it if you look at the original thread concerning juice.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189967-100-natural-aloe-vera-juice

Edited by Dave007

• 2 years later...