NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Visual sexing theory in African Grey Parrots

newphearo

here'swhat I found googling. There are pictures there: http://www.exoticpetvet.net/

You need to go to Avian (top of page) then scroll down on the left hand side to "Vet to Vet" there about 1/2 way down this list you will see "Visual sexing african greys".

For all of you either having or wishing to get a Grey might be interested in the above article. This is NOT a 100% fact, the only way to get that is DNA sexing.

We had a DNA sexed male and our vet was absolutely certain his tests were mixed up based on visual sexing. He even insisted I feel "her" pelvic bones that were wide for the egg to pass. He was very sure that he was seldom wrong and we had a second DNA test and he was still a male. Our breeder also had a strong opinion before the first DNA came back but that was from three decades of experience with their one breeding pair and they guessed all three clutchmates were male and as it turned out with DNA they were.

From observation the females are often a paler color than the males, but only the birds really know. I have friends who's birds DNA test results were male, the bird laid an egg three years later. It still has a male name. No method is perfect but DNA is your best shot unless your bird produces an egg.

Not that visual sexing doesn't work which it doesn't, but any person deciding on visual sexing would have to wait until the bird is at least 5 yrs old when everything is fully developed. Stay with the DNA tests. Visual sexing is only good when a person gives birth, sees what's there and can safely say that visually, it's a boy or a girl. Then they can have a party and the next day check out blues or pinks.

Edited by Dave007