NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

micro chip.

pat

This is the situation as far as chipping a bird and chipping 4 legged animals. A bird may fly away and most of the time, it's either very hard or sometimes impossible to get the bird back. That's because a parrot is a wild animal, will always remain a wild animal and flying away is natural. 4 legged animals are domestic and can be found much easier. Now concerning the capture of a parrot.---the person finding the bird would have to go to a vet and have the bird examined to find that chip. Many who find the bird won't do that. So, it's much harder to get a bird back even though it's been chipped.

Many people here will tell you that their bird flew away and were never found. Others will say that they did but I can tell you that they're in the minority.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm simply telling you one side of the situation.

As far as the method your vet will use, if he can do it that way, fine. A good avian vet has a few methods of inseting a chip.

I chose not to get Harvey chipped - exactly for the reasons detailed by Dave. I can't see that anyone round here would take the time and effort to take a "bird" to the police station/vets to get a bird checked out. Dogs/cats yes, they are more common - but the average chap in the UK wouldn't give a hoot about a grey bird up in the tree that looks like a pigeon. It would be you looking for it that would make an escaped bird come to light - not the fact that Mr Anonymous found it and thought he would try and find it's owners.

I know Janet (luvparrots) had Ana Grey chipped whilst "awake" and not under GA - I'm sure she'll offer you advice if that's the road you decide to take.

I realize that some people wouldn't do all they could to return a pet to the rightful owner. But I microchipped my pets because I would do anything to get my sweet friends back and perhaps the person who found one of them would feel the same. That and, of course, there would be a reward!

Charlie was micro chipped while under anesthetic for another reason,I took advantage of the opportunity. I strongly recommend mico Chipping.It is a positive form of identity Can prove ownership in a court if need be and gives a better chance of the bird being returned to you if lost.

Alcazar was microchipped. His was inserted by a shot between his breast bone. The one we used is called Home Again Pet Recovery Service.He didnt show signs that it hurt or anything. Our vet said that it worked twice that he knows of on birds that were found in 2 years time.