NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Grey

Toni

Still waiting on the DNA.. I keep calling her baby and the pet shop calls her my kid. When I go to visit my baby the counter lady calls back and says, " Toni is here to visit her kid". Sound cute but, any how, my baby is on it's one day hand feeding in the morning so now I wonder how much longer. Also I hold it and it hasnt bit yet. I asked them is it always going to be this calm or what.The pet store said it's one of their best birds they got in. My baby likes to cuddle alot and it lifts up its head all the time when I talk. The pet store also said some customers go to pay on there layaways and dont bother to really visit the bird and bond. Then the new owners why they tak them home and they bite. Which is quite sad they dont visit.To me I feel Im transitioning well because my baby sees me and the petstore and it feels comforter or assured Im ok.But cant wait....I wonder how much longer?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much longer, Toni, if she is on 1 feeding a day, it won't be long at all. You are doing exactly what you should do, visit it as often as you can and you can see the results of that bonding already starting. You may have an easy going one like I got, she does not bite either, just beaks, which is normal, they use it like we would our hand, to explore.

I am so happy for you and glad you are keeping us up to date and keep up the good work, you are doing great.:) :) :) :) :) :)

Yes, I'm pulling out the cage Friday and setting it up then. My b/f gave me PetSmart gift card for my B'Day so I can use it to buy toys for it. This is so exciting feels like almost setting up crib and bassinet for a baby ! Thanx bird friends of mine. This suspense is killing me. haha

Went to see my baby again. I go visit it every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. This last visit my baby was in a biting mood pet owner thought it was weird because normally it hasnt bitten anyone.They said they even keep it at counter at times and it lets other customers pet it. So any clues why my baby bit me not once but 4 times? Ouch !

Maybe keeping it where other people have a chance to pet it was too much attention, and that was his way of telling you he did not like that, my guess. Then he may be just asserting his independence early, I wouldn't worry too much about it, Toni.:huh:

Hi Toni,

I agree with Judy, poor guy is probably getting poked at too much and has decided to start letting people know that it's NOT ok.

He could have also just been exhausted? If the bite didn't break the skin, but was applied with strong pressure, he could have been indicating that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends

Well Im a proud mommy of a bouncing baby boy. Yeaaaaa !!! Glad that waiting period is over. Now I can finally call HIM by his name which is.....drum roll.I named him Alcazar. I was looking at castles one time. Its a royal palace in Seville, Spain. To me the name sound strong. Now I cant wait til I bring him home.

Thanx for the congrats....I'm happy.They told me Sept 9th I can. Hes keeping the weight good and starting his food in the morning now.They want to make sure he maintains a certain weight on his own. I bought alot of toys and some I will exchange around so he wont get bored and find out which is his favorite then I can keep that out.

Toni.. to the point of your BOY being so calm.. My recommendation to you would be to handle him as much as you possible can. When you get him home.. invite all your friends and family over to see him.. Encourage him to step up to everyone... Don't shelter him from anything.. Take him in the car outside his carrier...

If he is afraid DONT shelter him.. allow him the time for fear because after a short time he will realize there is nothing to be afraid of..

Doing these things will result in you having a Grey that isn't a biter.. remember, Birds bit for only one reason.. They are afraid..

Thankyou for the pointers there CD I can use that. Basically the more socializing he gets the more he'll become a well rounded pet ? Thank goodness he's still a baby. Get him off to a good start then. I was looking into one of the perches that has suction cups and it attaches to car window. The harness thing I want to but so scared if he'll chew the rope or he'll get hung on trying to climb down.I dont have to worry about wild big birds here. I was thinking when I take the dogs for a walk he can go on the other arm w/ a harness on.

OMGosh.Yesterday I went to visit Alcazar. I thought greys usually dont mutter anything until like 6 -9 months? Well any how the pet guy went to him and did that sexy whistle call that whoot woo well then Alcazar did it. He said hes been doing that to him since he arrived and Alcazar started to do it Tuesday. I was amazed. So does this mean he'll talk soon?

No guarantees Toni, the majority are very good at mimicking whistles, my boys were wolf whistling at a very early age,As for speech again , they all vary so much being individuals they learn at different paces ;)

I feel personally if our greys talk this is a bonus, it was never an issue for me if they spoke :)

Toni, Talon started saying words at 4 1/2 months, so don't be surprised, he sounds like an early talker! Yes, CD's advice is the best. I did the same with Talon and she is much more social with strangers than most greys. People coming and going here in my house really doesn't phase her. She will also perch on there arm for a short time.

Take her out as much as possible in the car. They love it, if done so early on. :)