NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I am thinking about getting a Grey....

bWarren917

I am thinking about getting an Grey, what are some things I should know/be aware of while owning the bird or before owning the bird. This would be my first Grey.

I have another question as well,

I have a Green Cheek Conure right now that bites (we are taking him to northern CA to see a bird whisperer this spring break), do African Greys get nippy? What should I know about things like that?

Thanks for everyones input.

African Greys are my dream bird!! Fav bird!!!! :)

:) :) :) :) :):cheer:

Benjamin

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you asking questions before getting a grey. That bodes well for you and your future fid. They are a lot of work. The more time and effort you put into them the more you get back and the more you prevent problems before they happen.

I guess my first question is: What is it about Greys that you love, what is it that makes them your dream bird? Do you want one because they talk? You should know that not all greys do talk, although there are lots of things you can do to encourage them. If yours never chooses to talk would you be ok with that? Do you want a "cuddle muffin" grey? Although a few like to cuddle for years, it is common for then to outgrow this stage after the first year or two. Do you want a bird you can take out of the home with you? This requires time, patience, knowledge and the purchase of special accesories to keep your fid safe. Even then, your specific fid may still decide he or she just doesn't like to do what you want them to. They have very different individual personalities and some are naturally more resilient than others. Would you be ok with that? Can you commit to giving your bird several hours out of cage time every day (an exception every once in a while is ok). Can you provide safe places throughout the home for your fid to 'hang'? These birds have to have regular interactive activity with you, their flock member, to remain healthy, the same way they need food and water. Can you adjust your schedule to provide this? How do you feel about either having birdy poop throughout the home, or putting the time in to potty train?

These are just some examples. If you tell us honestly what it is you envision when you imagine having a grey some of the experienced people here can give you an idea of what to expect. Then both you and your fid will both be happy for life. :)

I want to be able to:

1. pick up this bird, pet him, teach him tricks, just have a good, sweet feathered friend. I hope that is an ok answer for this question.

2. I want a good companion, I guess that is the real thing.

what else should I know?

thanks

African Greys have a mind of their own.It's easier if you start off with a baby. They can grown to love you. As he/she get older you can identify his body movements. Another thing, keep doing your research.I always wanted a Grey and it took me a year to research one to make sure it was the pet for me. Buy an African Grey book.Learn more about it then decide from there.

I took a long time to adopt one as well. I read several books, did a tonne of internet research, and also went to an exotic bird store in my area where I spoke to the owner who has 14 greys.

Another good idea, check-out YouTube, not for the cute talking Greys, but see if you can find some vids of one who is really vocalising in the morning or afternoon. Although I wouldn't describe mine as a screamer, he is certainly an enthused caller when he wants to be. Can you handle that?

The biggest thing that I have missed are quick weekend trips. I won't take any without my parrot this year as I'm concerned to break/damage the bond with him this young. I've been spending so much time at home that I almost feel a bit reclusive, but I understand that his needs come before my wants! Keep this in mind, Andrew, Tui's Dad (Tui flew away) described his relationship with his Grey as being similar to an over-bearing relationship where you really need to consider plans well to fit the bird as best you can.

I'm only a few months into the relationship, but now I don't know how I lived without him!!! So for me, the benefits have so far absolutely outshon any pitfalls. I am committed to keeping it that way too!

Again, research, research, research! It'd be greyt if you could visist someone who already has one. Get an idea of what it is like, but being mindful that theirs is probably an adult. Babies are certainly needy...

Good luck!

Hi bWarren917 so glad you decided to join the Grey Forum before becoming a grey parront! There are oodles of threads in the various Forum Rooms that will answer a lot of your questions, so read, read, read. Do greys bite, yes!! But like any animal you can learn to read their body language and their moods and avoid some of those bites or nips. Karma to you for doing your homework before getting a grey. Please feel free to ask any questions you have we are a pretty friendly group here!

Benjimin,

One thing to know about Greys is that they are VERY smart and are VERY strong willed. They are masters at manipulating their owners. I agree that starting with a baby is your best bet as older Grey can have some bad "habits" that a new Grey owner might have trouble with. Think of them as a toddler that is at that stage in life where they want to get into things, and have recently learned the words "NO!" and "MINE!" Keep this in mind even if you get a baby. At some point the baby will realize it has a mind of its own and then the games begin!

You can't dominate a Grey, you must learn to be a better manipulator than your bird. I call it the battle between the little brain and the big brain - never underestimate your small brained companion! Even after 20 years as a Grey owner I still get sucked in.

An example of what I mean; My current 2 year old CAG Sam is a wonderful bird. I'm not sure if I could have found a better bird, BUT Sam gets me now and then. Each night Sam spends an hour or more on me as I watch TV - Its our lap/play time. A couple weeks ago Sam took an interest in the folds of my jeans and started trying to chew them. Not wanting holey jeans, I said "Sam, no!" and gently pulled his beak lose and blocked the fold with my hand. He'd move to another fold and would chew some more. I had dropped my guard and stopped thinking like a Grey owner and was handling him like a dog owner trying to teach his dog to obey. The more agressive I got, the more determined he was to chew. The harder I'd pull his beak lose, the faster he'd grab the pants again. This is a classic example of reinforcing negative behaviour with a Grey. The initial fiddling with my pant fold gave way to an exiting way of getting me to react with drama. In Sam's mind it was WAY more fun to get me excited than to just lightly chew the pants. I now gave him a REASON to chew my pants!! EXCITEMENT, DRAMA, FUN! WHOO-HOO!!! Fortunately I came to my senses and realized my mistake. The next night I wore old jeans and DIDN'T react when he started to chew. I ignored him for a while, then I distracted him by picking up a toy or by reaching for something close to him or wiggling my fingers up at my chest which is my invitation for a tickle. It worked and he quickly forgot about chewing my pants because there were other, more fun things to do. Within a week he'd stopped doing it all together. Another problem I had to find a way around with Sam was when we finger wrestled. He LOVES to play with my fingers but he was developing a bad habit. He's very gentle when we play, but when ever he'd get the tip of my finger into his beak he'd squeeze, a little at first then a little harder until it hurt and I'd say "ow". At first my tactic was to not let him play with my fingertips and this worked great. Then one night I hit on the solution - a light went on in my head. I gave him additional drama when he'd get to my fingertips BEFORE he squeezed. I'd say "ow-ow-ow-ow, he's got my fingers! help help help me HO,NO! sam's tearimg my fingers apart!!! ow-ow-ow-ow! This is the drama he wanted and instantly stopped the painful squeezing and its become a regular part of our play. I manipulatd him into learning that gentle play brings drama.

This is often how a Grey become nippy. By learning that a nip brings excitement and drama. A Grey will test you on occasion - taunt you so to speak, and you must not get sucked into the trap. The key is patience, and staying calm. When they are this way you MUST keep your energy level low. Like the toddler that's thrown iself on the floor screaming because it can't play with something - you must step over it and walk away - it will learn the fit brings no reward.

Now on the flip side is these birds will also manipulate with charm. There are those crappy days when I come home a grump, and an hour playing with Sam makes it all go away. He gets me laughing and then laughs along with me, and there's no better therapy than that!

Some Greys are cuddly and others are not. My previous TAG Nelson loved to be cuddled. I could wrap my hands around him cup him, and he'd lay in my hand and almost go to sleep. Sam will only allow my hands lightly around him for a short time - a few seconds at most, yet he loves to crouch next to my cheek and lean against my face while being scratched. If he does and I don't scratch right away he'll push himself harder against my cheek while lowering his head. These are the times when he will accept my hand over his back. I can't resist that charm.

Oh, yes... and your house will never be quiet again!

Sorry for the long post - hope it helps.

Tom

Welome to the forum Benjamin. Good luck with finding your dream bird - whatever that may turn out to be. As the others have said, do read up on greys and find out as much as you can about them before you make your decision. Just do a search in the forum for anything you can think of and you're sure to find an answer!

What an excellent post Tom - it shows real insight into a typical grey!!

Lyn & Alfie