NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

More questions...

Christina

Okay, I spent the whole weekend with my little Finnigan. I did the math, and he is 12 weeks old today. So, he is a week ahead of where I had been told. We did some bonding this weekend and he bends forward for some serious neck and head scratches a few times a day. He also makes it known when he wants to get picked up by calling and flapping like a mad bird. He travels around with me for a while, then seems content to go back and watch the goings on. One of my questions, is sometimes when we are just sitting there, he tucks his head under my arm and just lays there. I thought at first he might be afraid (hiding his face), but he fell asleep like that last night, so I don't know if it just relaxes him. He is very curious about everything, loves his new toys and loves going outside and watching the birds fly (screened in lanai and he is with me the whole time). He doesn't seem afraid of anything, only curious. Another question I had for anyone that takes their bird to work with them, is how old were there when you started taking him to work? What kind of set up do you bring to work with you?

Thanks.

Guest briansmum

i can answer the head tucking question. this sounds normal to me as my grey used to love to tuck his head under my chin.. i mean really close and snuggly.. when he was 12 weeks. it is just a comfort thing, he wants to be close to his mummy for safety while he sleeps. it is up to you whether or not you enforce this, he will probably grow out of it n a few months anyway, but be aware that he may decide at some point that you are going to let him sit and sleep on you, even though it might not be convenient for you, this can lead to very clingy and persistant behaviour. i'm not saying this is the same for everyone, but it was the experience i had with Brian, luckily i think i stopped it early enough, so he knows when convenient cuddle time is.

What a relief. Thank you for responding. I thought last night, he must feel secure to close his eyes and fall asleep, but I wanted to make sure. No, I don't need another velcro bird...one in the family is enough! :unsure: He seems pretty independent. Which is good and I do want to enforce that, but still give him the security to feel its okay to hang with me some if he would like too. Seems a fine line with these little guys. I'll try to post a picture tonite. He is sooo cute!

Christina, go ahead and take him to work with you now if you like, I take Josey occasionally and she enjoys the time away from the big cage. She gets to see other people and they like her too.

I have a travel cage and she has toys in it for her to play with and a water bowl and another bowl for food. I just bring whatever I am going to feed her and she is fine, I recommend it for anyone who is able to take their grey to work.

Guest briansmum

by all means give him lots of cuddles christina, just add it into a routine so he knows when it's cuddle time, before his bed time for example. not just whenever he feels like a nap. that was the mistake i made, letting brian sleep on me whenever he wanted. now he knows he can come on an evening for lots of cuddles and tickles and that works well for both of us.

The more diversity you can expose them to at a young age the better off they will be. The more people, places, things, sites, sounds, toys etc etc they interact with the better. This is actually something everyone should try and work on with their birds so that they will be well rounded and accepting of change. This is particularly important in consideration of their life expectancy. The reality is that they may need to be re-homed at some time. That is kind of a depressing thought, but the truth is that most of us have young birds and provided they stay healthy they will outlive most of us!!!

Guest briansmum

yes i understand that.. theres a chance, even though im 21 that brian will outlive me, which is a scary thought. but i think we should just all enjoy our birdies eac and every second we're with them :)

Beccy - How right you are! I have no doubt that Dayo will out live Me, unless I live to a 120....If he lived 70 Years.

I have already discussed with Kim, that we will need to include Dayo in our will so there is no doubt who will be responsible for him.

It will of course be one of my Son's. Both of which have met Dayo and will be interacting with him over the years.

Guest Lidia

Absoutely right, Judy and Dan! Count me in the "preparing for death" crowd.

Joshua's vet tries to get him from me all the time, so when I pop my clogs, Joshua will be going to stay with him, who I know will love him and look after him AND who is someone who already knows Joshua very well.

Now, in the event of the vet's death, I have NO CLUE what I will do. ;)

We had to take that into consideration too when we accepted Boo into our home. He is only 7 and sister and I are about 50. My daughter will inherit him. (and now that she knows that, she can't wait for us to die) LOL!