NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Free Flying

Ian

Hi Guys,

I have visited some fascinating websites regarding `free` flying of companion parrots. From the information I have read, free flying is pivotal on your parrot posessing the requisite avian skills (and strength)to negotiate strong breezes and controlled deceleration. Deceleration is a problem and an unacquired skill in many US parrots of which have there wings clipped at an early age. Once there wings have been allowed to grow out, the necessary neuronal development is lacking and schooling is required to acheive the flight skills necessary for open air manouverability prior to allowing free flight. These websites do not highlight lack of bonding as being a potential problem and cite only lack of flying skills as the major inhibitor to allowing free flight. European owned parrots invariably retain there primary flight feathers are fully skilled and readily posess the avian acrobatic skills needed to precisley alight on there owners hand. Allowing my own companion parrot to free fly is a potential goal of mine and I have a high degree of trust with regard to him returning safetly when called. Has anybody else had or know of anybody who has any experience regarding `free flight`.

Thanks

Ian

:)

Thanks Dan!

What a great website.:)

I think most people would feel more comfortable with a harness (i guess here its for the parrots safety rather than physical retention). Unharnessed flights are only allowed for minimal durations. I have tried my own grey with a body harness but he detested it...:(

Here is another site for anybody interested although it relates to Cockatoos.

http://www.freeflight-usa.com

Hi Ian,

Yes, it seems difficult to get them accustomed to a flying harness, but worth the freedom it provides.

I was considering free-flying Dayo also, until members here pointed out the dangers of Hawks, Falcons etc. Which unfortunately, where I live here in Central California, at the base of the Sequoia National Park foothills has large populations of.

So, I will just try the harness for keeping him on my arm while walking about with him in public.

Do you have access to a large facility you could practice free-flying your CAG?

Hi Dan,

Hawks and Falcons........Never thought of that! We have a few native hawks here in Southern England which i spot with increasing regularity. I am fortunate to live next to some open fields which would prove ideal territory. Is your parrot fully harness trained and is it a body type or leg type harness? if so how long did it take for him to become accustomed and accepting of it?

Many Thanks Dan

30294116_4de7e93d14.jpg

I like to think that Tinkerbell website is the most thoroughly documented on the training on how to have a flighted CAG and how to live with a flighted CAG.

Check out earlier writings I did here such as on clipping and in my intro here.

Here is a letter I wrote recently in another forum that might help this thread.

Re: Dangers of Flying outside on a Harness? Risk?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edd,

As Sally said, be careful of hawks!

And in addition to that, be careful of everything else too. Be very paranoid.

Taiwan has eagles, kites, hawks, huge ravens. And cats, dogs, wildcats. If you read what I wrote before, I was paranoid even of pigeons and pigeon size birds.

You need to use your eyes and paranoia. Even so, that will not be enough and you must depend on the even more acute vision and hearing of your bird.

If you follow the steps I set out, from living literally with your flighted bird at home, to semi freeflight in big confined safe buildings, you will develope a rapport to a very high degree. You might know to see the emotional state of your bird.

BUT TO FLY THEM OUTSIDE SAFELY EVEN WITH HARNESS, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SEE THE NUANCES OF THEIR EMOTIONS.

Otherwise, how can you make use of their more acute senses if you cannot read them screaming silently to you of the danger that they can see but you cannot see?

Thats why I always kept nagging that you never ever assume Alphaship on flighted bird. You then watch only if they respond or not respond to you. Treating them as equal and as friend and in making request to friend, you train yourself to see their moods and know to vary your requests to them and see their moods if they will respond or not.

Of all technical stuff I wrote , the most important part will be YOU MUST CONSIDER YOURSELF AS THEIR EQUAL AND NOT SUPERIOR. The technique stuff that you need to know and execute are so simple in comparison.

NEVER EVER FLY THEM OUTSIDE IF THEY SHOW YOU THE LEAST AMOUNT OF DISCOMFORT.

ALWAYS TAKE YOUR CARRIER WITH YOU AS A SAFE REFUGE TO POP THEM BACK INTO

Summary of flying in harness here.

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/8284.html

Thank you Shanlung for your valued input on this topic. We'd love to learn more from you. Please don't be a stranger here. You have much experience to share with this family forum. I would love to hear more from you. :cheer:

Hi Ian,

I have not brought Dayo Home fulltime yet from the Breeder.

I had hime here yesterday for 9 hours, but no harness training has taken place yet.

He will be coming home next Saturday for good at 14 Weeks old and the Harness training will begin. :laugh:

Oh boy, Dan, you finally get to bring Dayo home for good next Saturday, I know this will be a long week for you, I have been there and done that. Keep us informed at to how it goes on the first night home and introducing the harness to him. Should make for an interesting read here next Sunday, you think!!! :P

I will keep you posted Judy :-)

In fact, I will be posting yesterdays adventures in Baby sitting Dayo a little later. Along with some photo's....I gotta tell ya though, he likes my Furby :woohoo:

More later.............. ;)

Thanks Shanlung for the link I shall visit the site and hopefully learn more about this fascinating subject from your superior knowledge in this field.

Thanks also Dan for the reply, I am thinking about the possibilty of re-introducing George to the body harness.

:) :)

xxbeccyxx wrote:

fantastic info, but i just wouldn't dare :S

This is also for Trina who wrote privately to me as well.

There is nothing wrong about feeling scared of this process. Everything that we do has its risks, that we can only minimise and not totally eliminate.

NEVER EVER BE COMPELLED TO DO WHAT YOU ARE FRIGHTENED OF. YOU MUST NOT DO ANYTHING BECAUSE OTHERS HAD DONE THAT.

You must know that your greys are empaths and can read the emotions that you have. If you are frightened, that will affect your grey. They are nervous enough without you adding your fear vibes to them. Your fear of their flying away might well trigger their flying away.

It may not be that bad if you take small steps at a time, steps that you are comfortable with. If not, then it is far better that you do not do that.

Read Tinkerbell Legacy, Part 2 of Tink webpage.

See if you can prepare your house or apartment to make that safe for your grey to fly in.

Train together with your grey at home. The training is as much for you as for your parrot. For the both of you to understand flight and training of recalls in safe environment and to know each other better.

Then when you are very comfortable with flying at home, look for a bigger safe place (treble checking that for safety) to fly him/her in.

Even though that place is safe (no way of exiting to outside), your heart will pound and beat away like nothing you ever dreamed of, in fear and in exhilaration.

If you ever think of taking him/her to the open, it is a must that you do semi freeflights in big confined space. You must find that fear and still that fear in your heart. If not, you both can live happily ever after at home.

There is no hurry and no timetable for you to take your parrot outside. With their age, and your age, you have the rest of eternity to do that, or even not to do that as you wish.

The primary harness that I use is the trust and the comfortness we have with each other when we go out.

The Tinkerbell harness and leash is the secondary harness in case of spook or my stupidity.

Guest briansmum

thanks for that, thats smart advice. brian does fly at home and i have the aviator harness which is long enough that i can sit him on something in the garden, walk away the length of the teather and then call him. he never takes off on his own in the garden though. i don't know... i don't think i'd risk it, i would be scared and he would pic up on that.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a grey that free flies. I just joined a couple of days ago and have shared some stories. I had 3 birds but 2 have died within the last year and a half. I handfed all 3 and once they learned to free fly they would never leave home. A lot of people would be nervous about that and I think it is a personal decision to allow your birds to fly outdoors. But, afterall, Are they not birds??

Thanks for sharing Atlas,i have read your other posts. I do admire people they train their birds for free flying, unfortunately it is not for all of us.I have 3 greys & am on a rescue register, so this just would not be practical for me.My life is dedicated to my birds but as much as i would love to i dont have the time to dedicate to training all three in this manner.:)

Guest briansmum

i agree with lovemygreys, i think it is very admirable to have the dedication and nerves to train a bird to free fly, they are birds and flying is what they do best and a great source of excersise. it would be beautiful to see. but i personally could never do it, my nerves wouldn't take it and i wouldnt be able to justify taking the risk. i'll stick with the harness :)

I understand what you are saying. I did not want to take the risks that are involved with allowing your birds to free fly outside and it does take a lot of patience and time. I have done my share of crying and worrying but my husband was the one that pushed it. He hated putting our birds in a cage all day long. So, we worked with them and they eventually got it.