NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

AMAZONS--GENERAL FACTS

Dave007

Amazon parrots a typically good at mimicking human speech. Most amuse themselves destroying toys (at times while rolling on their backs), talking, singing, and playing with their companions.

These parrots have big strong beaks. It is important for those who plan to handle an Amazon take the time to learn each bird's specific personality before picking one up. Raised head feathers, flared tail feathers or eye pinning might result in a trip to the hospital for stitches for the human who ignores the bird's attempt to communicate.

Amazon parrots may go from quiet and cuddly to loud and aggressive in an instant. It's important to provide toys that they can fight and destroy so they can work out some of their natural aggression.

Hand raised Amazon parrots especially crave the attention and interaction with their human companions. If you aren't ready to give quality time to raising an Amazon and have the patience to deal with their hormones when they mature, then I would suggest you look for a different bird.

There are several common species that vary in both size and temperament. All Amazons are considered head strong and on the moody side.

All Amazon Parrots are loud at some time. Most are loud at sunrise and sunset, and when you aren’t giving them the attention or item they want. If you provide lots of toys for them to destruct and play with, and change them out often it will help. Also, you must spend quality time with your Amazon Parrot. Proper nutrition is also essential.

Some Amazon parrots are cuddlier than others. Most of it depends on how they are raised as a baby and how they've been treated since then.

Amazon Parrots will often have a favorite person, and that will be the person they will cuddle with. Experts suggest that you socialize your Amazon Parrot when you bring it home so that it will be comfortable with many people handling them.

Even still, that is no guarantee that your Amazon Parrot will like other people. Some birds just pick one person to like. You can’t make a parrot like anyone, but you can help it tolerate them and accept them. Often a bird will not "like" someone because they feel that person's apprehension. Encourage people to relax when they handle your parrots. If they are really nervous, it might be best for them to wait until they have more confidence.

There is not a hard and fast rule for Amazon Parrots. Each species has different personality traits as listed above and each parrot will have a different personality, just like a child. Amazon Parrots have a reputation for becoming extremely aggressive and/or vocal when they become sexually mature. You'll have to spend some extra time and have extra patience to maintain a companion relationship during this time.

Thanks Dave, very informative. Really, an Amazon just requires a lot of the same treatment as a Grey, diet, tlc, quality time, patience and patience etc! I think if I were looking for my first bird now I would be torn between a Grey and an Amazon. Will stick with my one Grey at the minute though!! She's quite enough for me to cope with!:laugh:

Dave007 wrote:

Amazon Parrots have a reputation for becoming extremely aggressive and/or vocal when they become sexually mature

Dave - Thanks for posting this very informative and important factual data regarding Amazons.

Unfortunately, "Zons" end up in rescues in record numbers due to the personality changes when they mature. Mickaboo, whom I am associated with, presently has around 30 "Zons" due to this very fact.

Also, unlike the other parrot species, in addition to the normal classes any potential adopter must attend. Anyone wanting a Zon must also complete a review of material going into the facts that you have discussed and they will not even consider a "First Time" Parrot owner for adopting a Zon. They learned this years ago when they experience high and fast turn around time of Zons when the new owners were surprised by one of those bites you mentioned.

They are great birds, I would love one, but never will get one due to t he attention Dayo requires just for himself. I could never provide the attention a Zon would need on top of that.

My hat is off to all that can have multiple "High Maintenance" birds in their home....Jealous of them actually. :-)

:) Dan, Thank you very much for this important input!!! Both you and Dave are "required reading". When we "Re-home" even a 'Keet, we have a video and "no-no/care briefing. I can show you "Sad" right in my home,I get tears each time I look at some of are birds...:(

Jay... Karma to you Dan

Jay - You make me blush. I have very little experience compared to you and Dave. I have learned an immense amount of parrot facts through Dave and your posts.

Nothing can replace decades of experience with numerous birds like you two have.

When you guys speak, I listen and appreciate it!

Karma to you both. :-)

Jayd wrote:

:) From what I've researched so far [can't find much] is that the musky smell that a amazon puts off comes from the area of the "cere". Still trying to find out more....Any suggestions any one? :unsure: Jay

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/sniff.html#ENTRIES

Sorry I don't want to offend anyone but S.N.I.F.F.? It may be a good idea upon reflection but it is still hysterically funny lol! What else will they come up with!!

{Feel-good-0002006E}

For anyone (like me) who doesn't know what a cere is:

The cere (from the Latin cera: wax)[1] or operculum[2] is a soft, fleshy swelling found on the beaks of certain birds. Hawks, parrots, doves, skuas and budgerigars are among the birds that have ceres. The word 'cere' is often used synonymously with 'beak', although the two are not identical. The cere plays a role in indicating the reproductive stage of certain dimorphic birds, and also has a key function in respiration. The nares are located within the cere.

The nares connect to the inner beak, which is in turn connected to the respiratory system.[5] Thus, the cere plays an important role in respiration, and the protection of the nares.

A bird's beak serves many purposes -- such as eating, grooming, and of course, singing! The beak is an extension of the bird's jaw bone, and is covered in keratin, the same substance that makes up our fingernails. The top part of the beak is called the cere, and is where the bird's nostrils, or nares, are located.

Cheers,

Renate and Sunshine (who's cere is the only thing that doesn't smell.... ;) )<br><br>Post edited by: SunnyBird, at: 2010/01/08 16:28