NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

An Amazon's Worst Enemy

Jayd

This is a subject I feel strongly about and will never stop harping about...Point blank; an Amazon is highly prone to fatty Liver disease and fatty tissue tumors that can shorten their life span drastically. The Amazon is one of the least picky eaters of our companion birds. They will eat almost anything and relish every bite to the point of over-stuffing themselves and becoming obese.

This then turns into fatty tissue issues. Example: A human is supposed to have about 3 walnuts a day. (Unshelled LOL) So, how much should an Amazon have? If we say one-third of a human portion per day, then they should only have one shelled walnut daily. There is also a number of excellent birdie treats available. Read the labels-lots of these treats will say "one a day".:dry: How easy is it to give your baby a walnut and watch him/her hold it and eat it 3-4-5 times a day without thinking plus slipping them all the extra little treats and bites we give them daily. This adds up... think about it..

If your Amazon becomes too heavy, they can't fly. A way to observe besides daily weighing is to monitor when your 'Zon is active; look at the breast area and it will appear that they have cleavage. If this looks over-abundant, press the area lightly with your finger. It should be soft. (thin layer of fat)

If it is overly spongy, it is "NO NUT TIME" - cut the calories and fat intake.

Another example is the variance of weight of our different types of Amazons. An Orange Wing Amazon weighs 350-360 grams on the average. A Yellow Nape Amazon weighs on the average

410+ range. What does your Amazon weigh?

Jayd

This is a very important topic. One that as grey owners, we tend to forget the importance of when allowing our birds to snack on our food through-out the day.

Thank you for starting this thread as an important reminder.

Nilah is 9 months old and weighs 384 grams as of 12/19. She is due to be weighed again. You are right, they will eat anything!!:pinch:

hmmm adding a Amazon now thats a posibility :) was thinking of adding another bird maybe next summer just not sure what kind,as first I was thinking a Hahns Macaw but I hear the are super active and very loud then I was thinking about a IRN my friend at work has one and she is super friendly and not loud or hyper active plus she eats anything in site what goes with a Timneh grey, a Eclectus and a quaker ? lol any ideas?

Sorry guys dont mean to be rude but if i could do it over agian i would just have a room full of each and every amazon. Depending on your life style i guess but i need every bit of laughter i can find and having an amazon sure has given me that and so much more. There is never a dull moment with an amazon. I have owned just about each and every bird and i can tell you from my experience amazons are absolutely the greatest. What i did wrong when owning african greys i think i paired them up right away and that took away from me bonding with them. So i did not have as good an experience with my greys after i did that. I still do own a timneh whom i love very dearly and raised from a baby.

:) Carol, your not rude, and to inquire about a type of bird before buying is really good.Almost every type of companion bird is represented here at "grey forums" "Just ask and ye shall find". Amazons are a # 1 choice, Quakers,[evil green chicken,lol] can make good pets to. In the last year I've hand-fed/weaned or help raised around 35 types of birds, later today I'll start a post on "Getting a 2nd bird" in "Other Birds" ;):) Jay

luvparrots wrote:

I might have to get me an Amazon just so I can justify hanging around here so much!!! ;)

I have to say Janet, the thought has crossed my mind!! (Sshhh - don't tell David!)

Mostly cos Nilah sounds sooooo sweet!

But then so is Alfie.....most of the time!

Uh oh, I think in a former life I was a little old Italian grandma. I love feeding anyone and anything. If an Amazon lived with me, it might weigh five pounds. They are beautiful birds and I really do enjoy seeing their antics on this forum. Great job.

Last night when we stopped at a fast food place on the way home from our country place, we were eating in the car and Sunshine was on my shoulder (oh that reminds me of the old John Denver song ! :P ) he was having a ball taking bites out of my sandwich and eating french fries... Guilty as charged :blush: We don't indulge often but it is so hard to say no!!! At least we don't go over 1 walnut a day - luckily he can't break them open himself yet cause he keeps climbing onto the walnut bowl...

• 2 months later...