NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

This bath tip works with Dorian

Acappella

Ok, this sounds too silly to work, but it does, at least with Dorian. I read a tip in Birdtalk about how to get your bird to want to take a bath. They suggested playing one of those sound machines set to the sound of running water for your bird. It sounded silly, but I had a good Obus Forme machine collecting dust around here so I tried it. Dorian jumped right into his water dish every time:lol: He wasn't showing any indication that he was going to bathe before I turned the sound on. Once he's made the decision to get wet, I can 'help' him with a spray bottle and he gets good and soaked. All I can say is try it if you can. It's working here:laugh:

I have thought about those sound machines for myself to block out annoying noises that might keep me awake but never thought about using it to induce my birds to bathe, I do know running the vacuum does the trick for Sunny but not Josey.

Thanks Marguerite for the tip.

That is a good idea and i shall certainly try it. Just last week while I was filling the kitchen sink to do the dishes Alfie shimmied down the curtains and started to fluff up and shaking her wings while hanging upside down looking at the water!

I put a couple of inches in the sink for her and she spent a good 20 minutes sitting on the edge of the sink trying to pluck up the courage to jump in. She didn't get wet yet, but she def looked like she wanted to!!

A recording is an excellent idea and I'm going to try it - thanks!

Brilliant idea - although why I didn't read this yesterday I don't know! Dixie has started to accept the shower as long as I let the water run before I take her in there and get the shower all steamy. I'll find some "running water" sound and start it in the office where her cage is before I get her and see if that helps with the showers she's still only taking under protest!