NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Grey Owner

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, I just joined today. We added a new member to our family just under a week ago. A CAG named Avy who turned 1 on October 22/09. She is a hand raised bird by a lady in Calgary that has been breeding Greys for 40 years. I asked her previous owner if he had her tested to know for sure that she was a female. He told me the breeder has been looking after Greys for so long that she could tell from the shape of their heads. With that much experience I'm guessing she's not often wrong. Besides, who cares, she's a beautiful grey and that's all that matters. In the short period of time I have had her, I have spent as much time as possible with her. So she will already let me give her scratches around her neck and face, as well as under one of her wings. Just the left one, not sure what the deal is with the right wing! She cat calls very well and says hello a million times a day, which is quite amusing. She also puts herself to bed at night by climbing down from her perch on the outside of the cage, and slamming the door as she goes in. Which I've figured out means I'm going to bed, get the heck over here and cover my cage!! I know I'm probably being impatient, but I can't get her to step up for me, even though she did it fine with her previous owner. I'm not too worried yet, I do have experience with birds and patience, as I used to own a wild caught Umbrella Cockatoo. I spent about the first 3 months just sitting by her cage with the door open, letting her get used to me. After about six months, she would let me scratch her pretty much anywhere, clip her nails and wings. Never did get her to step up (hence the impatience with a hand fed). Although it killed me to give her up, I did end up letting her go for her own good, as I was single at the time and worked too many hours a day. So she went to live with a retired couple and another beautiful Umbrella Cockatoo.

I haven't been this excited to get home after work since we had our first human baby 11 years ago!! I'll post a picture of her soon.

Thanks.

Dave.<br><br>Post edited by: cutlass5268, at: 2009/11/03 22:49

cutlass5268 wrote:

She also puts herself to bed at night by climbing down from her perch on the outside of the cage, and slamming the door as she goes in. Which I've figured out means I'm going to bed, get the heck over here and cover my cage!!

Why doesn't mine do that!!!

Hi Dave and welcome to you both - she is goreous! You've ticked both boxes - a great introduction and photos! I think you're going to like it here!! Looking forward to hearing about your progress with Avy ;)

cutlass5268 wrote:

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes! It's nice to see such a helpful happy forum where no one puts anyone down or makes replies with statements such as "did you do a search before you asked this dumb question". :)

Hi and welcome!

Always remember there are no dumb questions only dumb answers. It is better to ask than pretend you know the answer.