NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

birth ring

tyrell

Guest jamalbirdbiz

grate ? i would like to no about this ring 2 . i have ?s about my brids birthdays 2. Pleaz some one help us. :) the sooner the better. :P

From my understanding the bands identify the breeder and location but not necessarily the hatch date of the bird. You would need to contact the breeder to find the exact hatch date of your baby. If you didn't purchase him from a breeder the bird shop should have records of his hatch date.<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/10/29 14:14

The number on the ring is their registration number with your local parrot society (I'm in the UK so Harvey is registered with the UK Parrot Society). The year of hatch is on the ring in the UK (ours say UK __) but not the exact hatch date then the number is registered to your breeder and then yourself.

I received a birth certificate with Harvey outlining his hatch date though. :)

I think that what is written on the band is unique and specific to the breeder.

They band the baby parrots so that they can differentiate them one from another. Other than that there is no universal way to read what is on the band and alot of breeders are not even registered with some kind of registry.<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/10/29 15:52

as they've said the leg band (ring) is basically the breeders identification. most of the time the ring have the following data: avian club name or breeders name(initials), breeders identification (sometimes letters, numbers or combination if they belong to a particular bird club), hatchling number (like if yours is the 20th chick during the year) and the last two digits of the year when your bird hatched. Some will look like this: APC L123 0809