NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Conure at Petsmart...

jessdecutie18

So I keep going to a Petsmart near here, and every time I go I see this cute little Green-Cheeked Conure there who by now recognizes me and jumps to the front of its cage pushing its head through the bar for scratches... usually I'm not a fan of Conures, but this little guy is a cutie and so friendly!

Today, I'm scratching her through the bars when an employee asks if I want to hold her. Yes please, I say, and inside the little area we go... He tells me that she is very hard to get out, grabs a butterfly net, and reaches into the cage with it! I was like what the hell... he trys to grab the bird through the net and it jumps away flipping out... such a drawn out fuss, I thought how ridiculous... I say I'll try to get her and said I don't mind getting bit because he was looking at me like I'M BEING RIDICULOUS... yes I got bit a couple times and it took a minute, but then she came out and settled right down for a nice neck scratching session all close and personal... she was really a sweetie... using a net on her is silly... and she is 10 months old and doesn't even understand stepping up on a finger yet...

I talked to the guy who cares for the birds. He was nice, I have nothing against him. He freely admitted though that with the Petsmart schedule, you have no time to actually spend with individual birds so they are practically left untouched every day except for food and water changing... it's so sad :( I left Petsmart feeling a little sad that I can't buy another bird and angry that Petsmart can't take the small cut in an hours pay extra a day for one employee to spend a small session of time with their birds...

Sorry for the rant... I knew you guys would understand my sadness though best...

It is really sad but of course business is a business. Petsmart is here for business and hiring a person to just interact with birds that they are selling is a bit of a loss in terms of manpower cost. Petsmart or Petco are just a retail store. Hey I am not affiliated with those chains just sharing my thoughts about those stores. Do I buy pets from them...No, but do I buy items from them (pet food, toys, etc)..yes. Does that mean I support their way of dealing with animals? I don't know, you tell me.

Just google Petsmart and you will find a lot of terrible things about how they treat the animals and how they are warehouse raised before they ever get to the store. I would caution you about handling animals in a pet store but I have done the same thing. Some are so pitiful. Just be sure that you wash you hands and arms good and if possible change your clothes before handling your bird.

I visit the birds as well every time I go to Petsmart or other pet store. I used to have a very strong desire to buy each one as I would interact with them each time I went weekly. You do start building an emotional tie to them and they to you as well.

No national Pet Store chain can equal the love and attention of an individual breeder to their chicks and upbringing.

However, people do purchase them and give them loving homes, we hope. :-)

I hate the whole idea of making a business out of selling parrots.

A responsible breeder makes the welfare of the birds their priority.

Most pet stores can't afford to ensure their parrots go to responsible keepers and if they can't then they have no business selling them.

Steve n Misty