NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bought one!

harmar

I went back to the breeders today, wasn't planning on buying one, but there was this one that came walking right over to me chirping at me, staring at me. I asked if I could hold it.

It was very alert, and loved playing with me. We played for almost 2 hours. It is a clipped bird, but I was leaning more for clipping it to begin with. I may let the flight feathers grow back in later.

We seemed to be bonding very well.

The breeder said it is ready to go home now if I like. I told them I wasn't ready for it yet, but will be within a week or two. I put down a deposit, and the breeder put a band around it's ankle so they can keep track that it is mine.

I believe for me right now having a clipped bird is the best choice. the room it is going to be staying in has a door to the outside that people are constantly going in and out of, as well as plenty of windows. I will be moving into an apartment within the next year so will be able to control the surroundings a lot better, which will be perfect for when it's feathers start growing back in. I will decide at that time if I want to continue with the clipping or not.

Anyways I am very excited and will be bring it home either next weekend or weekend after. I will post some pictures once I get him/her.

I so understand where you are coming from. When we bought Beau we had planned on getting a grey but not for a few weeks and we were actually looking at cages but Beau was so different to all the greys I had previously seen, it was like fate that we found each other. I put a deposit down right away and they kept him for us until we got back from a week away which had been previously planned. I remember wishing we hadn't booked that damned holiday and counted down the days each morning while we were away.

Beau is unclipped but I understand that clipping is the best thing for you at this time. I'm sure you will have one or two sleepless nights when the time gets near for you to bring your little baby home. I'm so happy for you. :)

Yes it is a TAG.

It was already clipped, although they did have a few 6 week olds that were not clipped yet so if I really wanted to I could have got a non clipped one. But in my other thread where I asked abotu clipping i was uncertain about which I wanted. I was doing a bunch of research and looking at both sides of the argument. While I think I would prefer fully fleighted, I do not think that is reasonable in this house, we have too many dangers. tons of doors, wood stove that will be constantly running in the winter, a ton of windows that when they are cleaned is almost impossible to tell there is even a window there, it also a huge house so it if went upstairs it would be hard to find it, assuming it was trying to hide.

Oncce I move into an apartment I will most likely allow the feathers to grow back in.

I am very excited, but nervous at the same time, since I will be a first time bird owner.

You are probably right about the bird being safer in a house where the door is opened a lot and when you get your own apartment then you can allow the feathers to regrow and have a flighted bird.

I know your excitement and being a little nervous but you are doing your research and you have all of us to ask for help if you need it, you are going to do fine.

depends on how much a dna test costs, I forgot to ask them. If it $50 or under I will for sure, if it more then $100 then I will have to think about it. Not like it matters a whole lot on what the sex is.

I dont have a name picked 100% but I am leaning towards Sasha, which is a unisex name anyways

I'm so glad that you looked at the entire situation before making your decision on flighted or clipped. While in a perfect world all of our birds would be flighted, but then again, in a perfect world, we probably wouldn't own birds, but they would be free to fly in their own environment and protected from all the evils of the world. Taking the proper precautions and looking at the entire situation is what a responsible grey owner should do as well as the research before getting the bird. I would continue to do research, ask questions, and read this forum as much as possible so you will be more informed as to the potential situations that may come up. Congratulations on your new baby!

Congrats on your new Grey. The DNA is around 25-30 dollars. There are health reasons to know the sex so your vet will probably advise it. For instance only females would have egg binding. Which is a very dangerous condition that would need to be diagnoses very quickly if it arose. If you had a male it could be very beneficial for the vet to be able to rule it out immediately.

Just a word of caution, you mention many dangers in your house for a grey. Remember that the clipping wont help much with those dangers. you must be attentive and always watching your grey when he is out. do not allow the grey next to the door or open windows. clipped birds can still fly and if they catch some wind they can be long gone.

Congratulations on making a decision!!!

All those chicks need a loving home whether clipped or unclipped and you made a decision by first doing your homework.

Looking forward to seeing photos and watching this new Grey grow and learn during this life long journey you two have ahead of you. :-)

brought home my baby today. will post some pictures soon.

Sasha started to look tired after a bit so i put him in his cage, he had no problem going in,

but once in he just stands still, doesnt move, wont eat or drink, and starts shaking, which means he must be nervous

I left him for a little while see if he would get used to it, also tried playing with him while he inside cage and giving him treats and stuff, but still was shaking.

I took him out and put him on a tree stand thing i got, and he is very content on that, loves it.

I also have a bunch of toys for it, but his favorite one seems to be a Popsicle stick hahahaha.

Just hope he will be ok tonight when it is bed time.

Anyways so happy I got my new buddy! we having so much fun together.

Will post pictures tomorrow.

Here is Sasha chilling in his cage this morning

img4846r.jpg

Here is Sasha playing with his favorite toy

img4851l.jpg

Sorry it a little blurry and quality isn't best. I am a newb with the camera<br><br>Post edited by: harmar, at: 2009/10/18 15:30

He reminds me of Harvey when he first came home! The breeder told us to keep the perches low, keep food bols low etc so that he could find his way round the cage - 5 minutes after putting him in the cage he was hanging upside down from the ceiling!!

Great pictures - Sasha's a cutie :)