NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Talking Grey

officialmark

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Most breeder pairs don't talk. If your bird doesn't talk in the futue, it was simply meant for that bird not to talk. Many greys don't talk and their clutch mates wound up talking.

And I'm not guessing here nor is this just my opinion.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/29 22:50

I suspect that we see no real correlation because the Nurture component is typically completely uncontrolled. Hence breeders with a genetic predisposition to talk, may never learn to talk, but could still pass those traits on to some of there offspring.

In any event Nature v. Nurture is endlessly debated, so... believe what you want.

Dave is spot on and Sheila as well.

Most Breeder Greys have not spent the time with Humans to learn to talk or have a reason to. The parents have no bearing on speech ability.

Humans won't learn to talk either if they have not developed in a normal family learning verbal skills and developing that portion of the brain at the early ages between 0 to 6.

Feral humans or those kept locked up with no human socialization are retarded mentally and brains scans also clearly show a significant part of the brain associated with speech is atrophied compared to a normal child.

So to sum it up, it the Parrot is socialized very young and given the mental stimulation and reasons to encourage to talk, they will. However, some never will as others pointed out.

Since Grey Talk is not actually "talking" but a form of 'whistling" and the throat muscles are crucial, maybe birds endowed genetically with strong throat muscles are more likely to talk? And if that is the case, while the parents' ACTUAL ABILITY to talk does not matter, the POTENTIAL ABILITY to talk probably matters?<br><br>Post edited by: ramsabi, at: 2009/09/30 04:43

raleej337 wrote:

not to hijack this post but is there a way to know if a baby parrot will be a talker? like is there any signs to watch out for?

I view it as similar to trying to figure out if your 1 month old child will be a star basketball player. Its better to let life surprise you.

If talking is important to you, the best approach is to adopt an older grey that already talks.

I have to agree with Dave, Dan and Particle about this - if the ability to talk is the key component in adopting a grey, then adopting an older one who already has the ability would be the wiser choice. Of course, in my opinion, this component is the benefit of a grey, not the deciding factor in having one. The total attributes of a grey are far more appealing than it's ability to talk or not to talk. The known things like their intelligence, their observational skills and the sheer joy they bring are as important as their ability to speak. Each species of bird brings and offers different aspects: U2's for the cuddly, center of attention nature, Macaws for the brilliant plumage and size, grey's for their intelligence, and the list goes on. Looking at only one aspect leaves you completely missing the entire bird and again, in my opinion, makes me question why you would choose the species.

Sorry if that sounded harsh...I guess I'm on a roll today.<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/10/01 17:52

I think all greys have the ability to talk. Whether they choose to do so or not is entirely up to the bird. My grey Tango (the love of my life) started talking at 6 months and 28 days old and hasn't stopped since. He is now 16 months and 4 days old with a vocabulary of approxiametly 50 different phrases.

I talk everyday to him, and I explain everything to him as if he were a young kid...oh wait he is. The most important thing about Tango though is the love and joy he brings into the house. He is intelligent and very entertaining all on his own even when he is not talking. The love you get from a grey if you treat them well and tend to all their needs regulary is beyond my wildest dreams.

Good luck with your grey if you decide to get one, however I do urge you to do your homework before purchasing one of these beauties as they require more than a cage and seeds. They are a lot of work and must be nurtured as great gifts of GOD or whatever your maker is called. Treasure them and treat them as so and you will have a great friend for life.

Post edited by: Satchel, at: 2009/10/01 18:55<br><br>Post edited by: Satchel, at: 2009/10/01 18:56

in a way most people buy an african grey because they know and they want a talking bird. it is one factor thats why people choose the grey. there is nothing wrong with that as long as you'll love your bird no matter if he talks or not. lets be honest with ourselves that the talking factor made you decide to have this bird. i myself told the breeders i spoke with that i want a bird that will leran to talk and not loud. i know they are not cuddly as the cockatoos.