NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do you travel via airplane with your grey?

particle77

Ok, as Christmas is approaching I have a query. It seems American airlines no longer allows parrots(or birds of any kind) in the cabin.

How many of you fly with your grey?

Do you keep your grey in the cabin with you when you fly?

What airline do you fly?

Also please relay any bad experiences with airlines.

So far, I've found that US Airways, and AirTran will both allow a parrot to fly in a standard carrier in the cabin.

The airlines that will transport birds put them in special cargo areas reserved for animals. Most people who buy birds from other places that do ship birds are being shipped in the cargo area.

You need to call different airlines to find out if they have that shipping area and also whether they're going to wherever you're going.

Southwest airlines used to ship animals. I had my dog shipped from MO to PA through that airline but I never asked about birds.

Thanks Dave, In the past I've flown with a parrot in the cabin, and prefer that method. While I'm aware of the special cargo areas, there are occaisional fatalities associated with them. I won't be checking my grey, due to the following: http://www.petflight.com/pet-incidents/details/159

So, I'm interested in people, who like me have flown with a parrot in the cabin. I need new information, because the airline I previously did this with has stopped allowing birds in the cabin(they claim this is because of bird flu...)

I have confirmed that US Airways will allow a parrot in the cabin, but wanted to know of any experiences people had with them, or any other airline.<br><br>Post edited by: particle77, at: 2009/09/27 21:02

I've never flown with Darwin and completely agree with you - I would never allow her to be put in a cargo hold - specifically after that link you shared. How completely awful, a Grey froze to death because someone didn't do their job. Disgusting. I hope you can find an airline that allows your Grey in the cabin with you, and sorry I couldn't have been more help. Do let us know what you find.

Oh my god. I had looked at flying with some guinea pigs and refused to let them be stowed as cargo for fear of freezing, I cannot believe that happened to a poor grey... and it's documented!! :(

If I have any influence in the decision, I'd go US Airways. They have always impressed me and they were a (large) supporter of our local pride festival this weekend. Any company that voluntarily supports equal human rights as well as animals in the cabin wins my business.

Be sure to write them a letter of thanks upon safe return with your grey, that will keep the birds in cabin thing going with them as it sets them apart from the other airlines. Right now all airlines have a niche they cater to, if US Airways is the animal lovers niche... they'll hang on to it.

• 2 months later...

Well, here is an update.

Earl and I ended up flying Continental Airlines. It was between Continental and US Airways, both of which allow parrots in the cabin, but Continentals pet carrier size allowed for a tiny bit more space.

The trip to Maine was uneventful, Earl chewed on a couple of foraging toys filled with pellets and dried fruit for the entire trip and never made a sound. He's had a great Christmas and opened all his presents himself :).

Since we are here for more than 10 days he has to get a second health certificate before we return. The airline never checked that we had one when we came here, but I want to be compliant, and I figure if I ever didn't have it, thats when they would ask for it.

I will say that airport security is the one time I recommend a feather tether over an aviator harness. You need to walk your Grey through security after removing him from his cage, and putting an aviator harness on a flighted parrot in a strange environment could be sketchy. I put Earl's Feather tether harness on without the leash attached, in the car, then put him in his carrier, and only had to snap the leash onto the harness when we got to security, then it was easy to removing the harness and the leash after he was back in his carrier on the other side of security (since the feather teather doesn't require the wings to be extended when its removed).

I am so glad you and Earl had a wonderful trip, I knew he would probably do fine and most people never knew he was on the plane.

You are right about the certificate, the one time you wouldn't have it would be the time they would check but happy that it all went without a hitch.

Thinking of you and Earl in the cabin makes me really happy. Also, good thinking on the certificate while you are there. They might never ask for it, but if they did and it upset Earl's return home it wouldn't be worth it. I hope your family enjoys your visit and what you have gone through to bring your little buddy with you. Kudos to you.

My .02 cents

Use a cat carrier lined with window screen to transport the bird in the cabin.

Tell the security RIGHT away that you have a bird and request/demand that you be taken into a closed room for them to take the bird out of the cage so that they can then go an scan the cage.

I've done the above and had a uneventful trip.